• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Thermal Paste?

Associate
OP
So got my 3900X and applied some Kyronaught, which even though I warmed it up was hard going. I went with the spread method but as I was trying to spread it it kept coming away. After a little perseverance I got it spread although was a little patchy, do you think this will be okay, I imagine it will spread as I apply pressure with the cooling block?

Soldato
Associate
So got my 3900X and applied some Kyronaught, which even though I warmed it up was hard going. I went with the spread method but as I was trying to spread it it kept coming away. After a little perseverance I got it spread although was a little patchy, do you think this will be okay, I imagine it will spread as I apply pressure with the cooling block?

Did you use the included spreader? I had a mare with the spreader on my 3700x and resorted to the tried and tested old credit card, which was much better.

Associate
Still working my way through a 20g syringe of MX-4 I bought a few years ago for £13. Used it on quite a few CPUs for customer builds (admittedly fairly low end) and on my current GPU (GTX1070), old i5-2500K and current R5 1600.

It's cheap and nothing has fried so far.

Associate
OP
Did you use the included spreader? I had a mare with the spreader on my 3700x and resorted to the tried and tested old credit card, which was much better.

I did, I even left it in a glass of boiling water to try and soften it. In the end I've cleaned off the Kyronaut and replaced it with MX-4, application was much smoother and around the same temps. Lows are currently around 33c and maximum when running Prime95 is 82c and that's leaving my cooler on silent setting, if I bring the fans speed up to just about audible it drops to 74c. In hindsight should have stuck with what I know.

Don
Strange how nobody ever mentions Shin-Etsu here.
That’s a brand I’ve not heard of in at least 10 years!

Still use AS5 here, plus credit card spread method. Performs better that way compared to the blob method.

Only thing I’ve used that was measurably better was liquid metal, but it has it’s own problems.

Associate

Still use AS5 here, plus credit card spread method. Performs better that way compared to the blob method.

Only thing I’ve used that was measurably better was liquid metal, but it has it’s own problems.

I`ve always used AS5, not sure if Kryonaut is the way forward with 3900x.

V F

V F

Soldato

I had been using Shin-Etsu for years (perhaps since 2010) until I ran out. Currently on IC Diamond 24. There wasn't much difference between them. 1 - 2 degrees.

You have to warm up Shin-Etsu in hot water or it's just like dry very soft plastic. I quite liked it.

Soldato
Spread method worked best for me I twist the waterblock left and right once it makes contact to get rid of air gaps. Temps were 3c lower compared to the x-method.

Back
Top Bottom