• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV on 1070TI

Soldato
Bought this cooler, quite a nice piece of kit but noticed there is no VRM heatsink included in the kit at all and they do not sell any "as extra" either.

My current Gigabyte 1070ti "Gaming 8G" uses a custom PCB and they basically made that cooler that come on it fit that design so the heatsink sat on top of the VRMS too.

Now my question is..would this Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV be fine on the card with one of its fans blowing directly over the VRM,s? as that's where one of the fans is located? or is a heatsink definitely required?

I seen someone on YouTube install it it on a 1080ti and he didn't put any VRM heatsink on his card but I was thinking the heatsink is crucial on these tier of cards?

what's your thoughts guys :)

Soldato
To be on the safe side, I'd measure the gap between the VRMs and cooler and pick up some extra heatsinks and stick those on. I did the same with a 1070FE and a Morpheus II cooler even though the 1070 isn't on the compatibility list.
Cooler is always better right.

Soldato
OP
Does the cooler say it compatible with your card? Ive owned Arctic coolers before and they are fantastic but id only feel safe if i knew it was designed with my card in mind.
It says its compatible with 1070ti/1080ti but dont say specific models,i assume just reference models but my 1070TI is a custom gigabyte,theyve put the VRM and stuff the left side of the card instead of the right like on most cards.
i should be able to stick on a heat sink but its finding some thermal adhesive tape thats strong enough.

To be on the safe side, I'd measure the gap between the VRMs and cooler and pick up some extra heatsinks and stick those on. I did the same with a 1070FE and a Morpheus II cooler even though the 1070 isn't on the compatibility list.
Cooler is always better right.
Well i have some aluminium heat sinks,but its knowing if theyre going to be enough (i should imagine so with the artic fan above it too ?)

Soldato
i should be able to stick on a heat sink but its finding some thermal adhesive tape thats strong enough.

I went with the stock adhesive tape at first but the heatsinks just came away after a while, so I ended up using thermal cement instead.

Any cooling on the VRMs is better than nothing, so you should be good to go.

It says its compatible with 1070ti/1080ti but dont say specific models,i assume just reference models but my 1070TI is a custom gigabyte,theyve put the VRM and stuff the left side of the card instead of the right like on most cards.

Well i have some aluminium heat sinks,but its knowing if theyre going to be enough (i should imagine so with the artic fan above it too ?)

Ive never had problems with thermal tape, just clean the chip and you are good to go, i usually just use an pencil eraser to clean the residue off the chips and 'touch wood' never had one fall off.

Soldato
I had one of those on a 4870x2 long ago it had a separate heatsink for the VRM's and it was made for it, a reference card. It also needed it they got seriously hot without it some of the thermal pads didn't quite touch the top of the chips had to double up and put two on. Temperatures got insane without it I think I recorded 125c on one.

Soldato
Arctic silver thermal adhesive is what I used on my 8800GT years ago (still got the adhesive in my draw). That GPU has been working with the arctic Accelero S1 I put on it even until this day!

Associate
I've had one on my 1070 for a couple years now and its served me well without additional heatsinks. I've thought about getting little heat sinks and adding them but its never been an issue. The way its meant to move heat away from power delivery and memory is through the very large finned back plate. Thermal pads on the back of the card opposite to where the memory and VRMS are.

Soldato
when i bought extreme IV it didn't have heatsinks to . i emailed arctic , and they provided a link so i could buy heatinks that come witch extreme 3 separately .

Also i didn't put that black huge heatsink on the back i just left my back plate on .

Back
Top Bottom