Bad Amazon Prime Day!

In the post I now have...

Ticket to Ride UK and Pennsylvania Expansion
Skyjo
Labyrinth
Fallout

And there's more to come tomorrow.

Man of Honour
First time for me at a different games group today. Played Pandemic Fall of Rome for the first time and ended the night with Rent A Hero, with a game of Azul inbetween.

Not sure we played Pandemic Fall Of Rome correctly, but we defeated the barbarian hoards. Was good fun. Playing with someone who had only played it a couple of times and someone who'd never played it made it a little shaky at first, but we got through it. :D

Rent a Hero is a very quick card game, we got 2 rounds done in about 30 minutes, that included learning the rules. It'd be a good one to play with youngish kids, or oldish grandparents.

Soldato
Played Pandemic Fall of Rome a few times myself and I like it. The instructions could be a little clearer on placing barbarians but we haven't lost yet. Some games came very close but like normal Pandemic, it depends on each players role.

Soldato
5-player game of Concordia on Wednesday. I built wide and grabbed every Saturnus card I could, plus five Mercurius at maximum value, and won by a clear 20 points. It was the first time I ever saw someone build all six colonists; combining Mars with Saturnus and/or Jupiter could be interesting, as Mars has the same maximum value as Saturnus.

Associate
Not having played board or table top games for years, on a trip to Brighton we ended up in a board game cafe. Thoroughly enjoyed Dobble (a spot the item card game) and Exploding Kittens (apparently like Uno). Since bought Harry potter Dobble, Exploding kittens and Professor Evil and The Citadel of Time, looks an interesting Coop game. Looking forward to getting chance to play all them.

Man of Honour
Played Pandemic Fall of Rome a few times myself and I like it. The instructions could be a little clearer on placing barbarians but we haven't lost yet. Some games came very close but like normal Pandemic, it depends on each players role.

It's the first Pandemic game I've played, so I've no idea how the other ones play. The number of different things that you can do on a turn threw us at the beginning, but had some good fun with it. I liked the theme though. Worked well. The placing of barbarians isn't easy to follow, but I think we got it. I like that the cards saying where the barbarians have to go show the route they follow.

Was my first time at this club, and it's much different to my other one that I normally go to. I wasn't the youngest by 15 years for a start. :D 30-35 people were there, good cross section of games too. Because we had 3 1/2 hours or so means that some of the longer games can be played, which I can't do at my normal club.

Soldato
Not having played board or table top games for years, on a trip to Brighton we ended up in a board game cafe. Thoroughly enjoyed Dobble (a spot the item card game) and Exploding Kittens (apparently like Uno). Since bought Harry potter Dobble, Exploding kittens and Professor Evil and The Citadel of Time, looks an interesting Coop game. Looking forward to getting chance to play all them.

I've played Professor Evil. It's not enough game for me, but it's a good shout for an entry-level gamer and makes up for you buying Exploding Kittens.

Got three plays in yesterday: one round of Cthulhu Wars, which I lost by 2 points; a game of Quacks of Quedlinburg that I ran away with despite having appalling luck; and a bit of freeform Concept to wind down.

Soldato
I played three games on Saturday, Tiny Epic Galaxies, which is always fun, then two new ones to me. Endeavor, seemed okay, could do with a second play through once you know what's going on and Nine Worlds, which is a little evil as you can't really improve your score without attacking others. Quite enjoyed it though. Won two and came second in the other, out of 5 of us, so that's always nice too :)

Man of Honour
Finally got around to playing a game of Ticket to Ride Europe. First time playing any Ticket to Ride game.

It's larger than we were expecting. The board itself only just fit on our coffee table. Good job the gaming top I'm making for it is about 30 - 40cm larger in width and length.
Ended up watching a quick how to play on youtube to get the rules down. Wasn't terribly complicated. Was easier to follow for the first time than the instruction book.

Enjoyed it. Lost badly, but enjoyed it. :D Will have to try it with more than 2 people, I think it'll be a bit more vicious.

Soldato
Played Barenpark with both modules of the expansion. They definitely add some interesting decisions; if you're careless with what you discard to get your Grizzly Habitats or try too hard to chase monorails you can actually find it impossible to complete your park. This never happened to us in the base game, but all four of us fell foul of it this time.

Soldato
Took a shed load of boars games away on our family holiday with kids (5 and 8) and blitzed them all.

Played Catan (twice) Fireball Island (too many times to count) Cat Chaos (a lot) Uno, Rhino Hero, Mmm (both a lot) Labrynth, City of Zombies, Ticket to Ride First Journey, Jenga and a few runs with the Story Dice as they love making up stories. Also played the new Warcry game from GW a few times with my son.

Been a brilliant time in the evenings and I love how into games they are, they have iPads but as soon as the games come out iPads are forgotten and they dive straight in. Got another load on my want to buy list and as they get older we can hit more complex games. I can't believe how much my son already loves and plays Catan, though he's obsessed with trying to win through using development cards :p

My wife told me we would never play them all, proved her wrong and she's got stuck in as well :p

Soldato
At the weekend I played Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra (better than Azul, I'm still not a fan), 21 Mutinies (still very silly) and Copenhagen (decent, but I own Barenpark).

Man of Honour
Was off to one of the local games clubs tonight. Taught Queendomino and Splendor. Learnt Ilios.

Queendomino is a more involved version of Kingdomino, a lot of fun. The ability to get the dragon piece to burn buildings can really screw over other players. ;)
Splendor has become one of our regular games to take around. The original box is enormous, so with some judicious planning, we've got Splendor and Five Crowns in a single small 2"x3"x4" box.
Ilios has some of the worst instructions ever. Took us about 20 minutes of reading, re-reading, re-re-reading to get a handle on it. Still not entirely sure we were playing it correctly, but it was ok, an interesting puzzle game.

Associate
Played Ragusa last night. Was fun, would definitely want to play again as I failed to get some resources early on and that impacted me later. May consider adding it to my collection at some point.

My Hunan Punishment KS arrived yesterday. Packaging was awful but thankfully the game seems to be intact.

I think my Empires of the North should arrive today :D

Soldato
Played Copenhagen again at the weekend, plus Valley of the Kings and The Bloody Inn. I'm now just one game short of completing my 2019 100x1. (I'm not attempting a 10x10.)

Soldato
I went to Tabletop Scotland and played:

Azul
Formula D (Hockenheim)
Tortuga 1667
Bang and Twang
Forest Dragon
Flamme Rouge
Wibell++
Yogi
Kitty Cataclysm
Oresome!
Love Letter
2 sessions of D&D (A Day at the Races & Heart of the Storm)

There's more I've forgotten but a great weekend!

Soldato
Finished my 100x1 with Pipeline yesterday. It's a fun light-mid economic game that plays in about 75 minutes, with a whole bunch of useless jank bolted on that bloats it into a two hour mess. The designer so painfully wants to be Vital Lacerda but misses everything that makes Lacerda's games work.

I also played Villagers again and Riga, which I haven't had out in a while. That one is a light game but with enough forward planning and chances to steal opportunities to keep it interesting.

Associate
We finished the Detective campaign, so played a few light games yesterday. Detective: LA Crimes & Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures should arrive today.

Has anyone played Chronicles of Crime? Is it worth picking up?

Also, I feel like we need some pictures in this thread from time to time (although granted it may make me want to buy more things) :p

tExuB21l.jpg

Soldato
Playtested a game yesterday.
Still in the very early stages so it might not even happen, have given my input on some rule changes to help the game flow a little better and tidied up the rules.
Was pretty quick and is very simple so it might have some legs. At the end of the day it all comes to down to cost to produce the minimum order quantity and how much it can retail for.

Back
Top Bottom