Updating gaming PC

Associate
Hello,

I've been using Intel i5 3.4Ghz with a Geforce GTX980 for around 4years. Has always done me proud gaming wise, but now looking for an update.

Considering this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...700k-4.6ghz-geforce-gtx-2080ti-fs-1b8-og.html

Would it be a sound investment? Looking for something that would play most upcoming games, and would be a pretty bulletproof investment for another 4years ish?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Soldato
Hello,

I've been using Intel i5 3.4Ghz with a Geforce GTX980 for around 4years. Has always done me proud gaming wise, but now looking for an update.

Considering this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...700k-4.6ghz-geforce-gtx-2080ti-fs-1b8-og.html

Would it be a sound investment? Looking for something that would play most upcoming games, and would be a pretty bulletproof investment for another 4years ish?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

while others will come and suggest self build parts even if you got ocuk to build it for you, that pre-built will certainly be a good investment and future proofing, aside from stupid expensive titan X range cards you cant really better the 2080ti and if its just for gaming mostly then the i7 will be better over the i9.

Soldato
Thought I'd put a list together for you, so you can see what can be achieved with a bit of thought. Few issues to resolve, but I'll list those below.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,975.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)

The original system does not specify the exact motherboard used, just some random Asus Micro-ATX board, more than likely it will be the cheapest one they can offer which is ~£130.

Again in the original listing there is no specified PSU, so you could end up with a bottom rung Gold rated PSU worth £50.

They've got a SATA SSD in there, and PCI-E drives have just hit price parity with them, so I've put a 1TB COrsair M.2 drive, rather than an out of date Samsung one. If you want to up the storage you can buy a good (Crucial) 1TB SSD for ~£80 if you shop around.

I've not selected a cooler, since you can chose a better one than they listed, but you'll need to decide if you want to use the Phanteks case or not, I just put the Lian Li PC-O11 in as it is pretty nice.

So, £400 less and just a cooler to add and the build cost, you can source a legit(ish) Windows 10 key for about ~£10-25.

If you did want to build it yourself then you could end up with this for about ~£2150 if you shop around. Which is better again and has 3TB of SSD's in there too. :)

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Corsair - MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Crucial - MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom