PG278QR backlight bleed / thunder flies!

Associate
Evening gents, hope you are all well!

Just after a bit of advice as I'm having a couple of issues with my Asus PG278QR... I've had the monitor for around 6 months and whilst I think it's a great screen I've ran into a couple of problems.

First the backlight bleed seems pretty bad when gaming with the lights off, the edges seem really washed out and whilst it seems unlikely to get a monitor with zero bleed I am unsure what is deemed acceptable.

The second and more major issue is with the current weather the thunder fly seem to have emerged and I now have 2 of the little gits inside the screen?! Try as I might to coax them out with the monitor off and an external light on, using a suction cup to lightly lift the area as well as gently tapping the edges of the monitor the things just won't budge and I am gutted! They are both now towards the top of the monitor and stand out a mile any time a block colour or skybox etc is displayed. This is a problem I have never ran into with my previous much cheaper monitors!

So I am not sure what my best course of action is, I have contacted the helpful guys at OCUK to see what they think but if it cannot be sorted under warranty I am wondering if it is worth trying to disassemble the monitor to remedy the issues? I have never taken apart a monitor a looking around it I cannot see an obvious way of doing the job.

Also if I do get the issues resolved I am unsure of how to prevent thunder flies from getting back in! It looks as though they have got through the bezel as it doesn't seem perfectly seated the whole way round, it's doesn't seem damaged in any way it just seems the tiny ******** can squeeze through.

Any advice is much apprichiated & I can get images if necessary, unfortunately I am not in the position to be able to afford to just replace it!

Associate
OP
No dice with OCUK they said that this would be seen as an act of god and any warranty would be rejected by their suppliers but suggested to contact Asus directly.

Have a feeling I am going to be left in the lurch with this unless I can work out how to safely strip the monitor to remove the flies!

Associate
OP
So bit of an interesting development and just need some advice from you good folk on where I stand.

I contacted Asus RMA directly re the monitor and they have initially rejected the claim as the serial number is not from a UK / Ireland product so have requested proof of purchase as well as images of the issue.

Now I remember when the monitor arrived I unfortunately only had a none UK power plug for the monitor so called OCUK and they promptly sent out the correct UK power plug. I didn't think anything of it at the time but but would appear I've been sold a monitor that was not intended for the UK market and as such could effect me from having any warranty at all rather than the 3 years stated on the website.

Never had any issues with OCUK in the past, infact their service has always been second to none so have emailed them in regards to this but not sure where it leaves me?

Any advice is greatly apprichiated!

Associate
My brother has gone through I think 3 Panasonic TVs in a row that all got thunder flies inside. I don't know if it's just really difficult to seal the panels, but it's frustrating to see so many manufacturers don't cover it with their warranty. I hope you get yours sorted.

Associate
I had thunderflies inside my Asus PG278Q and successfully removed them myself. It is actually pretty easy to open up the monitor (via the screws inside the stand mount and one under the bezel) then just a case of carefully removing the internal cables and separating the backlight to get access to the back of the panel. Takes less than 30 mins to do. IPA is fine to clean the back of the panel but don't get any on the backlight.

Back
Top Bottom