Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Associate
No worries it is sometimes hard to get your point across online :).

The issue could then be an issue with the nvidia + windows hdr + the screen.

Have you tried tomb raider on your TV also? Because HDR does not necessarily means more vibrant and saturated colors it means that the screen can display en extended range of color. more color at the same time and have improved contrast. And it all depends on the game hdr implementation as well.

For exemple in tomb raider for exemple I find that the green of the leaves is way more saturated in sdr than in hdr. In hdr the leaves have more what I would call real like color (sorry it is hard to find the words to explains). But if you look at a fire for exemple the sdr version doesn't pop out and looked more of a blob when the hdr version you can see all of the gradient from the heart in yellow to the exterior flames in bright red.

I really want to emphasize that HDR doesn't not mean necessarily an explosion of color like you see on samsung phone screens even if that's what we expect from all of the advertising :). For exemple the latest ratchet and clank on PS4 can look weird in HDR as you would expect just saturated colors everywhere, the game still have them but it is more subtle in its presentation.

Yes, as you wrote, that doesn´t mean, that all colors on the whole Screen should be very vivid, or vibrant, but the color reproduction in those games is like through some grey filter. As you said, I saw this kind of behaviour in Tomb raider too, but yes, when you look into fire, it Looks nice (like in Battlefield V). The bright parts of the Screen, where Peak brightness is in game look good, but on the rest are the colors just faded. F.e. in Resident Evil 2, the main character has on his Body this bulletproof vest. This vest is in SDR much more black and in HDR is like through Grey filter (you can see this behaviour on the other colors too). In Forza Horizon too, the cars look good, but when you come to some yellow field, this color is much darkder as in SDR, in SDR is the yellow really juicy, vivid. I feel, that the saturation has to be improved in HDR Content, cause in SDR it has for me better contrast Ratio even though the whole Screen is brighter in all areas.
It is possible, that these verstical dimming zones are the reason of it and it is not capable to make the picture right, I don´t know. When it is so, why look the youtuve Videos OK? Without any Grey filter, or so? Or other games like AC Odyssey? It is propably more complicated as we think, but I think, that we need some Firmware update here, some tweak inside the monitor for HDR.

Associate
Yes, as you wrote, that doesn´t mean, that all colors on the whole Screen should be very vivid, or vibrant, but the color reproduction in those games is like through some grey filter. As you said, I saw this kind of behaviour in Tomb raider too, but yes, when you look into fire, it Looks nice (like in Battlefield V). The bright parts of the Screen, where Peak brightness is in game look good, but on the rest are the colors just faded. F.e. in Resident Evil 2, the main character has on his Body this bulletproof vest. This vest is in SDR much more black and in HDR is like through Grey filter (you can see this behaviour on the other colors too). In Forza Horizon too, the cars look good, but when you come to some yellow field, this color is much darkder as in SDR, in SDR is the yellow really juicy, vivid. I feel, that the saturation has to be improved in HDR Content, cause in SDR it has for me better contrast Ratio even though the whole Screen is brighter in all areas.
It is possible, that these verstical dimming zones are the reason of it and it is not capable to make the picture right, I don´t know. When it is so, why look the youtuve Videos OK? Without any Grey filter, or so? Or other games like AC Odyssey? It is propably more complicated as we think, but I think, that we need some Firmware update here, some tweak inside the monitor for HDR.

It could be that a firmware update could help but it's going to be marginal.

Dark zones are going to looks more grayish than black if you have a bright light in the same zone but the only fix is full array backlight dimming and this monitor doesn't have it unfortunately.

And the only alternatives are gsync ultimate ultrawide monitor that cost twice as much.

On my side I like the hdr rendering better than the sdr bu I understand not everybody will like it.

I havent tried forza horizon 4 but it could be two things either the devs have screwed up their hdr implementation or it is the color that they actually wanted and the game need to be updated. The screen can display the colors as the cars looks good.

Some games are just like that look at red dead redemption 2 the hdr implementation is awful, the devs just didn't care about it.

Associate
It could be that a firmware update could help but it's going to be marginal.

Dark zones are going to looks more grayish than black if you have a bright light in the same zone but the only fix is full array backlight dimming and this monitor doesn't have it unfortunately.

And the only alternatives are gsync ultimate ultrawide monitor that cost twice as much.

On my side I like the hdr rendering better than the sdr bu I understand not everybody will like it.

I havent tried forza horizon 4 but it could be two things either the devs have screwed up their hdr implementation or it is the color that they actually wanted and the game need to be updated. The screen can display the colors as the cars looks good.

Some games are just like that look at red dead redemption 2 the hdr implementation is awful, the devs just didn't care about it.

Like you wrote, the reason can be no FALD here. BUT, Forza horizon 4 on my Sony XF9005 Looks pretty nice, the yellow field is much more yellow, the yellow color is much brigher yellow as on Samsung. I really don´t know, but I am sad about it.
ASUS PG35VQ is nice, but as you said, expensive as hell. I can buy 3 CRG9 for that Price and that´s insane.
Thanks man for your opinions on this. ;)

Associate
Like you wrote, the reason can be no FALD here. BUT, Forza horizon 4 on my Sony XF9005 Looks pretty nice, the yellow field is much more yellow, the yellow color is much brigher yellow as on Samsung. I really don´t know, but I am sad about it.
ASUS PG35VQ is nice, but as you said, expensive as hell. I can buy 3 CRG9 for that Price and that´s insane.
Thanks man for your opinions on this. ;)

Hum in this case there might be an issue with the processing of non freesync 2 hdr signals indeed.
I am sorry I cant test FH4 as I dont have it but I will try to plug in my ps4 tonight to see if I see the same behavior as you :).

Associate
Hum in this case there might be an issue with the processing of non freesync 2 hdr signals indeed.
I am sorry I cant test FH4 as I dont have it but I will try to plug in my ps4 tonight to see if I see the same behavior as you :).

I have ps4 pro (connected with my Sony XF9005) and playstation has this without problems, HDR in all games is pretty nice. I don´t have these PC games on PS4, so I can´t compare it with HDR quality on PS, but I´ve compared all these games between Samsung (DP) and XF9005 (HDMI) with same settings and the difference was night and day, but you have to be on 'game' profile on TV. I know, this TV has much higher contrast Ratio (+-6000:1) and all of these post processing things such enhanced contrast, ... You can also increase color saturation in HDR on Sony TV. This option is on Samsung not possible, cause color option is greyed out under HDR. Maybe that´s the problem too, that this Monitor doesn´t have all of these possibilities to tweak the picture in HDR as Sony TV has, min. the saturation option would be nice here. Thx.

Associate
I have ps4 pro (connected with my Sony XF9005) and playstation has this without problems, HDR in all games is pretty nice. I don´t have these PC games on PS4, so I can´t compare it with HDR quality on PS, but I´ve compared all these games between Samsung (DP) and XF9005 (HDMI) with same settings and the difference was night and day, but you have to be on 'game' profile on TV. I know, this TV has much higher contrast Ratio (+-6000:1) and all of these post processing things such enhanced contrast, ... You can also increase color saturation in HDR on Sony TV. This option is on Samsung not possible, cause color option is greyed out under HDR. Maybe that´s the problem too, that this Monitor doesn´t have all of these possibilities to tweak the picture in HDR as Sony TV has, min. the saturation option would be nice here. Thx.

What re the settings on your tv, I am using those https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings which are the one that are the closest to accurate color reproduction.
Maybe the fact that you are in game mode over saturate the colors ?
According to this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/9wao20/sony_x900f_optimal_game_settings/), there were also issue when enabling game mode straight away.

Associate
Yes, I tried these from rtings, but I like it little bit oversaturated, so I am at the moment by default settings :) picture settings for TV/Netflix with standard profile and neutral color and while gaming with game profile and Expert1 or neutral color.

Associate
Yes, I tried these from rtings, but I like it little bit oversaturated, so I am at the moment by default settings :) picture settings for TV/Netflix with standard profile and neutral color and while gaming with game profile and Expert1 or neutral color.

I think this is the reason that you are seeing such difference as Samsung doesn't allow you to change the settings when you use HDR. You are seeing "accurate" hdr colors but they are not what you want.
You could always contact samsung directly asking if they could implement new settings to allow changes to the color saturation.

Its a long shot but that's the only option for now.

Associate
Can you please tell me your settings for HDR in Resident Evil 2? I started the game (HDR in Windows off), then I turned on HDR in game settings, Max brightness on max + normal brightness right in the middle (blue and red bars on both sides with same size) and I think, that it doesn´t look good (and HDR in Windows was not activated). The whole screen is muuch more brighter as in SDR what is causing, that the colors are not well contrasted / with grey tint.

Associate
Can you please tell me your settings for HDR in Resident Evil 2? I started the game (HDR in Windows off), then I turned on HDR in game settings, Max brightness on max + normal brightness right in the middle (blue and red bars on both sides with same size) and I think, that it doesn´t look good (and HDR in Windows was not activated). The whole screen is muuch more brighter as in SDR what is causing, that the colors are not well contrasted / with grey tint.
No problem,
I have the brightness not cranked to the max level I have it 6 stops from the max.
And the red blue toggle just in the middle.

Associate
Thanks, and monitor settings please? Black equalizer, contrast? Thx in advance.

Black eq on 13
picture mode Custom
Brightness 50 but that overridden by hdr
contrast 75
sharpness 56
Color 50 50 50
Color tone normal
Gamma mode 1

Oh and also the game is using freesync 2 hdr but with an nvidia gpu you wont have the option.

Associate
Black eq on 13
picture mode Custom
Brightness 50 but that overridden by hdr
contrast 75
sharpness 56
Color 50 50 50
Color tone normal
Gamma mode 1

Oh and also the game is using freesync 2 hdr but with an nvidia gpu you wont have the option.

Thanks man, I will try it. Maybe with freesync 2 hdr you get better color reproduction as we with nvidia cards, that's possible, I think. Thx again.

Associate
That or you like a more saturated look :).
Unfortunately the screen doesn't allow you to control the color range in hdr :)

I´ve analysed Forza Horizon 4 it is so:
1. HDR looks in a sunny day with many sun rays really nice
2. It looks good during night too
3. In a cloudy day without sun are the colors simply washed out. It is not so obvious on buildings, but the green color (grass, ...) is faded with bad saturation. Maybe is the problem in contrast in such scenes, Idk. I can make it better, if I increase the black equalizer, but then is the whole screen much darker and it doesn´t looks right too.

Associate
My pleasure :)

Hey - I had a further question whilst I wait for delivery. How do you handle sound and specifically the connections for it.

I'm thinking of getting an atmos soundbar to go along with it, but want the sound to be able to also play the PC games. Also when multiple input (game & TV split screen) can it deliver both audio (similar to having spotify on in the background). Atmos soundbars will need HDMI audio of course.

Or a speaker system with 2 side speakers and possibly some wireless rears - but again same questions really around how to best connect the audio.

I have a 1080ti which will use DP for the refresh and then a HDMI input for the TV picture.

Associate
Hey - I had a further question whilst I wait for delivery. How do you handle sound and specifically the connections for it.

I'm thinking of getting an atmos soundbar to go along with it, but want the sound to be able to also play the PC games. Also when multiple input (game & TV split screen) can it deliver both audio (similar to having spotify on in the background). Atmos soundbars will need HDMI audio of course.

Or a speaker system with 2 side speakers and possibly some wireless rears - but again same questions really around how to best connect the audio.

I have a 1080ti which will use DP for the refresh and then a HDMI input for the TV picture.

So I only get the sound out of the monitor for console gaming and I use the 3.5 jack output for this config.
This means HDMI in and sound out but that limits it to 2.0.
You should be able to get the hdmi signal to your soundbar first and then to the screen.
For PBP only one of the input can use the monitor audio system.
Oh and just to be more precise I dont think the monitor has any speaker its just the 305 jack out.

Associate

Hi, may i ask you anyone here who owns the CRG9 and a PS4 if the PS4 works ok in PBP mode? With left side being a PC screen and right being PS4. I know this monitor is not for console at all, but im like 80-90% PC user and gamer and the rest i play console with a few friends who only have console (FIFA, some shooters and sony exclusives).

Back
Top Bottom