• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thinking of pressing the button on an Asus 2080ti using trade in

Associate
Hi All
I have been waiting to see how the 2080Super benchmarks look and its not looking as good as I had hoped. I want a card to play DCS in VR with as high a setting as possible and I am coming around to the fact that its going to have to be a 2080ti.

I currently have a 1070ti that i can get £275 back on if I trade in for an Asus card. I can pick up a ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G-GAMING for £1094 with trade in £819

The offer ends 31st August so need to make a decision soon however I am wondering if the ti prices might drop a little with the launch of the supers.

Am I doing the right thing, any thoughts on the matter ?

Rig Spec:
Ryzen 3700x, Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 Motherboard
32gig 3000mhz TForce Vulkan DDR4 (4 x 8gig)
Asus Cerberus 1070ti

Associate
I don't think the 2080Ti will drop, Nvidia is intentionally controlling the supply so it doesn't have to reduce the price because they are playing the high margin lower volume game.

If memory serves DCS were doing some VR optimisation work so personally I'd wait until that is released.

Associate
OP
If memory serves DCS were doing some VR optimisation work so personally I'd wait until that is released.
Its been released unfortunately its a damp squib that had minimal impact on fps :(

Thanks for the comments on price I did wonder if they would hold on the high prices :(

Associate
Nvidia don't publicly acknowledge price as being an issue for a decline in sales volume (just like Apple) they will literally do anything to avoid touching price. I think the long term value of the 2000 series will show the biggest depreciation of any GPU family to date but that's just my opinion. Of course they aren't stupid either they know full well that a % PC gamers have to upgrade sooner or later and that the top end represent the smallest market therefore can carry the cost.

The way I'd look at it is "what does a GPU need to do in order to earn your £1k", if the 2080Ti fits the bill (which it will for some) then go for it just get a good 3yr+ warranty, pay your money and be prepared for another upgrade in 2yrs. For me personally the 2080Ti is double the price, half the speed of what I'm prepared to spend £1k on so I wouldn't buy one at £800 because as much as anything I would want that GPU to allow me to skip through 2 generations (4yrs) at that price. If you need that perf right now, they've got you by the ballz I'm afraid its gonna cost and that's what 4k, VR gamers are facing along with people below 1080 (subjectively speaking).

I'm going to wait it out because I'm prepared to wait it out, if you own one of those new high end HMD displays for VR then yeah you've got a problem because you want to enjoy it now. I get that and you've got little choice unfortunately.

Associate
OP
if you own one of those new high end HMD displays for VR then yeah you've got a problem because you want to enjoy it now. I get that and you've got little choice unfortunately.
Yup unfortunately that's my situation. Thanks for the reply :)

Associate
get a 2080Ti with a good warranty, it sounds right for your situation. Write off an extra £500 as being an early adopter which in fairness also means you get to enjoy it first and there is no shame in that :)

Associate
If you're getting that price where I think you're getting it, that won't work if you want this offer. It has to come from one of the resellers listed on ASUS's tradeup website

Associate
OP
If you're getting that price where I think you're getting it, that won't work if you want this offer. It has to come from one of the resellers listed on ASUS's tradeup website
You my friend have just saved me from an embarrassing buy. Thanks. I hadn't spotted the approved seller list. Well that puts it off for me for the moment. None of the sellers have the version I was after that was in my budget. I guess I'll just have to try to get a good price second hand for my 1070ti and then go for one of the sub £1000 2080tis from another manufacturer.

Associate
As an owner of a 2080Ti, if I were to purchase again I'd be getting the 2080 or 2080S - the increase the Ti offers over these is not enough to warrant the additional cost, IMO.

Permabanned
As an owner of a 2080Ti, if I were to purchase again I'd be getting the 2080 or 2080S - the increase the Ti offers over these is not enough to warrant the additional cost, IMO.

At 4k? What oc do you run you should be 25% faster than a 2080 super when you overclock? They both should do 2000mhz no? You got 3gb ram 116gb more memory bandwidth and 1300 cuda cores. You are talking 700v999 gbp.

Associate
I play at 3440x1440, Gigabyte Aorus / EVGA FTW3 @ £650, cheaper models say £600. vs £1000?

Maybe @ 4k the difference is greater, I know at my res though the difference between my setup and a mates 2080 is not a lot.

Back
Top Bottom