**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
I too have no issues with (my s10e) bluetooth to the car, or the cheapy bluetooth earbuds I have! Running most up to date system software etc? Is the firmware on the headset upgradeable/up to date too?

Soldato
I too have no issues with (my s10e) bluetooth to the car, or the cheapy bluetooth earbuds I have! Running most up to date system software etc? Is the firmware on the headset upgradeable/up to date too?

The headphone's firmware is up to date, and the S10e is on the latest patch too. I found a long running S10 Bluetooth issues thread on the Samsung forum earlier, so it seems like my issue isn't an isolated case. It's weird though because it's been working fine for months :(

Associate
The headphone's firmware is up to date, and the S10e is on the latest patch too. I found a long running S10 Bluetooth issues thread on the Samsung forum earlier, so it seems like my issue isn't an isolated case. It's weird though because it's been working fine for months :(

Aye that really makes no sense, it's a giant ballache but can you reset the phone, or try wiping the cache at least? Seems as though there are a bunch of issues that plague some but not all users with the s10e =[

Soldato
Aye that really makes no sense, it's a giant ballache but can you reset the phone, or try wiping the cache at least? Seems as though there are a bunch of issues that plague some but not all users with the s10e =[

I wiped the cache partition on Thursday or Friday and it did work afterwards, however it was back to its old tricks this morning. I've just wiped the cache partition again and now the headphones are working. I'm loathed to reset the phone but perhaps i don't have a choice :/

Soldato
I think I've narrowed it down to the Soundcloud app on Android. About 1-2 seconds after I hit play my Sony XM3s power off. Doesn't do it with any other music app (Spotify, Mixcloud & YouTbube) on Android, nor Soundcloud on iOS. Meh.

I've reinstalled Soundcloud and it seems to be behaving a bit better (for now). I guess I owe Android an apology.

Soldato
Just as a matter of an update, I originally had the Exynos version of the S10+ and after having issues such as Bluetooth disconnecting when locking the phone, apps repeating notifications even after clearing them and also less than average battery life, I opted for the Snapdragon variant which I imported from HK and the difference is night and day.

Not had any of those issues that I had with the Exynos and battery life is simply amazing, easily getting 2 days off a full charge and if I really hammer the phone in one day, it's with 7-8 hours of SoT.

The icing on the cake is the snapdragon version is much cheaper than the Exynos.

Associate
The icing on the cake is the snapdragon version is much cheaper than the Exynos.

Had i not jumped on a good deal for the exynos I probably would have gotten a SD variant, i'm effectively paying ~£17 a month for 50gb with the s10e so i'm not grumbling and it seems I've been quite lucky not to have too many issues aside from the battery being a bit poop, but then I charge it each night anyway and i've not had it run low yet in my usage!

Soldato
Well something isn't right with mine, I'm just taking screenshots and keep sending them to Three and Samsung until one of them does something.

xr9ctY8.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Just leaving this here for potential importers of the HK variant of this phone. This is a problem I've run into recently which I've barely seen any mention of. WARNING: Lengthy post ahead.

[SM-G9750] [SOFTWARE BUG] Video playback being throttled or not utilizing CPU / GPU?

For owners of the SM-G9750 (S10+ CN / HK model), I'm trying to get some verification here on a possible software issue. I'm trying to play a 4K video file locally (specifically a 4K HDR H.265 / HEVC MKV @ 24fps video, but I believe this bug may apply to all UHD video playback - I'm not sure as I haven't done enough testing) and it seems to be dropping frames and stuttering throughout. I cannot get it to play smoothly despite trying all of the following:

• Setting the phone to Performance mode.

• Trying different players - in this case, the default video player, MX Player Pro and VLC.

• Moving the video player app to Game Launcher and optimizing them for performance.

• Forced 2D GPU Rendering in Developer Options.

• Changing display resolution from WQHD to FHD.

• Moving the video file from SD card to internal storage.

• Disabling / uninstalling all apps which use Accessibility Services.

• Clearing cache.

• Factory reset.
None of these worked. ---UNTIL--- I tried using the screen recorder, from the Game Launcher settings, whilst watching the video. Playback was then perfect! No dropped frames, completely smooth, like it should be. The other alternative was to use software decoding but then colours would appear muted and battery life takes a huge hit.

So what's the deal here? Is the CPU or GPU not kicking in / being throttled whenever I launch a video player app? I'm assuming this is the case as the screen recorder seems to boost playback performance once I activate it. I'm on the June update and I'm not sure if this bug was introduced recently (I never tested 4K playback until now).

Owners of this particular model, could you please confirm if you are having this issue? Try watching a 4K video with lots of action and camera panning movements - that's where you can detect dropped frames or stuttering easily. I could provide the file I'm using for reference but it's a clip from a movie and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share it here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Owners of this particular model, could you please confirm if you are having this issue? Try watching a 4K video with lots of action and camera panning movements - that's where you can detect dropped frames or stuttering easily. I could provide the file I'm using for reference but it's a clip from a movie and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share it here.

Where do you get 4K videos from? I only watch 480p clips on YouTube.

Soldato
This is why I'm thinking of just dumping my S10e on eBay and getting a SD variant, Samsung are giving me the runaround.

Just do it. Like SpartaK I bought an Exynos version from Samsung direct and the experience was below par. I managed to get a decent deal on the Snapdragon SD855 S10E and the experience is night and day.

Last edited:
Associate
Where do you get 4K videos from? I only watch 480p clips on YouTube.

YouTube has 4K content, the Vanced app in particular has the option to display at that resolution. I know the screen is only 1440p but most HDR content out there tends to be in 4K, and it's sharper so... :p
Moderators on the Samsung forums are busy removing my posts regarding this
mad.gif
. If anyone kindly could, please test this clip for example. It's 4K HDR encoded in H.265 / HEVC, I don't know if that makes a difference:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m83ftn7n8d8le2s/Plane_Crash_Scene.mp4/file

Stutters in the default video player app for me. One thing to note is that it's smooth in portrait mode, but the moment you rotate into landscape fullscreen, it starts dropping frames. Now, turn on the screen recorder from within game tools and the stutters are mostly eliminated. What gives?

Another way to compare would be with a video player that lets you switch between hardware and software decoding, like MX Player. Watch the clip in HW mode and then switch to SW - it's choppier in HW mode for whatever reason. Using SW is not an option as the colours are not displayed properly and battery drain is much higher.

Regarding the clip - if it's against the rules to post such content, let me know and I'll remove it. There's a whole YouTube channel full of this stuff, I don't want to link to those as the problem I'm encountering is related to local video playback.

edit: changed link for better accessibility

Last edited:
Associate
If you can link to a streamable file then i'll give it a whirl, but I'm not going to play something from a random on mediafire :p

The purpose of this test is local playback through video playing apps, not through a streaming site which re-encodes the file and doesn't give you an option to download the original raw video file. The mediafire clip isn't mine, I've just re-uploaded it there so people can download the original file.

Mediafire scans uploads and I can confirm it's safe - you can double check for yourself. I'm just trying to get some feedback from HK S10 / S10+ owners, not trying to plant a trojan in your phone (can that even be done through watching a video file??) :p

Associate
The purpose of this test is local playback through video playing apps, not through a streaming site which re-encodes the file and doesn't give you an option to download the original raw video file. The mediafire clip isn't mine, I've just re-uploaded it there so people can download the original file.

Mediafire scans uploads and I can confirm it's safe - you can double check for yourself. I'm just trying to get some feedback from HK S10 / S10+ owners, not trying to plant a trojan in your phone (can that even be done through watching a video file??) :p

Who knows, I just don't trust people on the internet! I have an S10e anyway so i'll just shutup =]

Associate
Who knows, I just don't trust people on the internet! I have an S10e anyway so i'll just shutup =]

If your S10e is the SM-G9700 model, it's still worth a try as it also has the Snapdragon 855 (Exynos doesn't have this problem as far as I know). I understand the safety concern, I haven't had much luck with this on several other forums either :p

Anyway, I've submitted a ticket to Samsung HK support, hopefully they'll look into it for a future firmware update. This is a legitimate issue that you may run into with the HK model, so potential importers beware, unless you have no qualms with choppy 4K playback in certain formats.

Back
Top Bottom