**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
Building a camp can be a bit of a pain, I have no idea how long it took me to add a second staircase to my build.

Bumped into my first Assaultron yesterday and died but did find two mini guns and a couple of Gatling guns.

Soldato
Building a camp can be a bit of a pain, I have no idea how long it took me to add a second staircase to my build.

Bumped into my first Assaultron yesterday and died but did find two mini guns and a couple of Gatling guns.
Pro tip if you cannot place when building a CAMP either exit the CAMP builder & try again & or logoff & back on then try again fixes most glitches. Its really buggy though just ask @Angilion about placing staircases ;)

Man of Honour

Assaultrons are pretty good at killing people.

As for the guns you found, I'm using a gatling gun as my main weapon now and recommend it. I think that it's a good option for a heavy weapons build despite the rate of fire (which is 20 shots per minute, not the 400 shots per minute listed in the description). That's extremely low for a full auto weapon, but it does have some strong advantages. The damage per shot is high, much higher than other heavy weapons with a much higher rate of fire, so the DPS is much closer than the rate of fire might lead you to think. The lower rate of fire means that it's much easier to maintain stocks of ammunition, which is an advantage for a weapon you use most of the time. The higher damage per shot is more effective against mobs with higher ballistic damage resistance. A gatling gun is also more accurate, especially for sustained fire, so it can be used for midrange as well as close range (at least if you have the stablised perk card in play, which increases the accuracy of heavy weapons). If you do go with a gatling gun, I'd advise removing the sight and relying on the reticule. The sight is wrong if you're not aiming and obscures your vision when you are aiming, so I think it's counter-productive. The speedy receiver is a useful mod (+20% rate of fire), but there are very few mods for gatling guns so they're pretty much pick up and go. Ammosmith and Super Duper perk cards would be very useful to swap in when crafting ammo because any full auto weapon uses a fair bit of it so roughly doubling how much ammo you make with a given amount of resources is generally useful

Pro tip if you cannot place when building a CAMP either exit the CAMP builder & try again & or logoff & back on then try again fixes most glitches. Its really buggy though just ask @Angilion about placing staircases ;)

Oh yes, I know about placing staircases in FO76. Which is why my new camp has no staircases :)

@Kronos : If you like, I can give you some tips about methods for working around the abysmal building system in FO76 to create more elaborate structures, particular about creating stairwells (which is not supposed to be possible). They all have two drawbacks - they will make your camp building impossible to blueprint and they will make it very difficult and time consuming to modify the building. For example, it took me 5 attempts to get mine done. One small error, even as small as placing objects in the wrong order, and you will be facing a lot of rebuilding and usually having to move your camp because you're not allowed to scrap parts of it. I once had to move and rebuild a max budget camp because I had accidentally stored a single wall section when I intended to store a different item close to it.

There was a cluster of posts about camp building a while back. I'll look for it...posts 2106 to 2122. I came on to vent a bit after spending hours wrestling in the pit of festering ordure and corpses that Bethesda have chosen to make of camp building in FO76. Maybe it was even worse for me because I came from a modded FO4 which is so vastly better for building that the comparison is more of a shock. In post 2109 I embedded a video I'd found on how to create stairwells in FO76. That's the technique I used.

I'd not recommend it, though. Not really. You'll have far less fuss just building a rough single storey structure containing workbenches and maybe some plants outside for food (razorgrain soup is extremely simple to make and quite effective for both hunger and thirst) and a source of dirty water to cook into boiled water (can be drunk and most recipes required boiled water rather than purified water) and some defences.

Soldato
After almost 10 months :rolleyes: finally picked up a decent weapon to take the Lvl 95 SBQ down solo or otherwise :eek:;)

Mutants Ultracite Gatling Laser (without Ultracite ammo though & without Prime Receiver either as that requires way too much Flux to make the ammo for so its pointless really unless you have a few 100 lying around as most players do :rolleyes: :() which boosts DMG by 10% if your mutated along with other buffs & mods I have made for it.

This weapon literally destroys the SBQ shields in about 1 min as long as she stays on the ground I can take her down solo now :eek: but as always with 76 getting her to stay on the ground is virtually impossible as sometimes she will fly away so its more RNG fun & games in a group :rolleyes: (they nerfed the XP as well its under 2000 XP now to kill her).

Soldato
Ammosmith and Super Duper perk cards would be very useful to swap in when crafting ammo because any full auto weapon uses a fair bit of it so roughly doubling how much ammo you make with a given amount of resources is generally useful.
I am still working on the perk cards thing, still have not figured it out but slowly getting there.

You'll have far less fuss just building a rough single storey structure containing workbenches and maybe some plants outside for food (razorgrain soup is extremely simple to make and quite effective for both hunger and thirst) and a source of dirty water to cook into boiled water (can be drunk and most recipes required boiled water rather than purified water) and some defences.

I decided to strip my camp and move it though I intend to move again once I find a decent spot near water.
Just going with a single story with some crops and I want to had a decent sized water purifier.

Keep coming up on enemies that I have no chance of beating on quests though yesterday another player took care of a particular annoying and high level enemy for me which meant I could finish the quest.

Saw my first legendary beast yesterday but I kept out of sight and let him go about his business killing miners. lol.

Soldato
Thought I was bad having ONLY 20 full sets of PA this guy has 60 which is just insane especially after patch 11 where you have to manually re-assemble all pieces :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-6pn56kxs
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comme...e_first_log_in_since/?st=jyfg7uwb&sh=bbb4a7c2

WTF, I've got 4 and thats too many, I cba grinding for the Calibrated Shocks then grinding for the components for them all, so just have them for the X01. His stash must have hardly anything else in it!

Soldato
I like heavy weapons with a gatling gun. Anti-armour is a more useful legendary effect than I expected.

Basically my build. I've a 2* Anti Armor Gatling Gun for accuracy, a 3* Anti Armor Gatling Plasma because Plasma cores are everywhere and a 3* Anti Armor Minigun for shredding along with a 3* Super Sledge for some Melee and close up. I don't even bother with shotgun or sniper rifles because they do nothing basically as does anything laser based and the degradation the last I used laser rifles was horrible.

I've got a 2 Shot Sub machine gun which is ok and a couple of explosive Ligth machine guns as well but they seem weak tbh so I just stick with the Heavies and associated Perks and Chems.

Soldato
WTF, I've got 4 and thats too many, I cba grinding for the Calibrated Shocks then grinding for the components for them all, so just have them for the X01. His stash must have hardly anything else in it!
Yeah 60 is just insane!! no wonder he has extreme lag on the Xbox1x it can barely run the vanilla game as it is!!

All Calibrated Shock Plans @ 7200 Caps (before you apply any buffs to lower the price) have been in the vendor bot stores for many months now (except for Ultracite).

Its very easy to get Cal shocks for ages now as player vendor stores sell all the fluxes as well.

Bethesda went bat something crazy today :rolleyes: put 3 x new Free States bundles in the Atomic Store @ 1800 Atoms ,2000 Atoms or 2800 Atoms for both and most of it is a load of old rubbish! (except for the rocketpacks & new rocketpacks flame FX).

Man of Honour
Basically my build. I've a 2* Anti Armor Gatling Gun for accuracy, a 3* Anti Armor Gatling Plasma because Plasma cores are everywhere and a 3* Anti Armor Minigun for shredding along with a 3* Super Sledge for some Melee and close up. I don't even bother with shotgun or sniper rifles because they do nothing basically as does anything laser based and the degradation the last I used laser rifles was horrible.

I've got a 2 Shot Sub machine gun which is ok and a couple of explosive Ligth machine guns as well but they seem weak tbh so I just stick with the Heavies and associated Perks and Chems.

I was disappointed with the machine guns, especially the 50 cal. That's supposed to be a heavy machine gun, something usually used on a vehicle and often against vehicles. In FO76, it's worse than a handmade gun, which is basically an AK-47 rifle. That's just plain wrong.

I've got a 3* gatling gun with anti-armour, +20% fire rate and a minor legendary effect that's irrelevant because they all are. I use that exclusively, although I also have a 2 shot gatling gun as a backup weapon. The 2 shot has a higher DPS, but less than 1% higher. 2 shot was so utterly nerfed that it's debatable whether it is of any benefit at all. +20% damage per shot, but vastly inferior accuracy so more shots miss. The +20% fire rate of the faster firing legendary effect has an almost identical effect on DPS but without vastly reducing the accuracy. Add in the anti-armour effect and my other gatling gun is clearly superior. With care, I can reliably snipe with it. I wish I could put a scope on it - it's accurate enough to benefit from one. I use the obvious perks - stablised, one gun army, bear arms and the 3 heavy gunner perks. I don't use chems other than radaway and stimpaks in general and rad-x in nuked zones.

Energy weapon degradation was apparently greatly improved a few patches ago. I don't use them because AFAIK there aren't any perks to increase their damage output and it's pretty poor. Also, it seems like a waste of cores to me despite the fact that I have plenty.

Shotguns do something very powerful with the right perks - stagger and cripple. With the right perks, they do that far, far better than a heavy weapon. I had a shotgun/rifle build before this one and I was much harder to kill. With a combat shotgun and the right perks, you can stunlock almost anything almost all of the time. Even flying scorchbeasts (they hover in the air). Charging glowing L62 feral ghouls in a Whitespring nuke zone...stopped dead, then crippled and limping slowly towards me. It's a viable build and certainly more than nothing. I generally used an instigating handmade gun at range to either one shot kill mobs or get them to advance on me, then a furious combat shotgun to stunlock them and kill them while they were unable to do anything much. I also had a ghoul killer combat shotgun for Whitespring runs and a quad capacity double barrel shotgun for a change. The double barrel does a fair bit more damage per shot and has a faster foring rate and the quad capacity makes it practical as you only reload every 8 shots rather than every 2, but it has huge recoil. It makes a good noise, though, and made me think "This is my boomstick!", which gave me a laugh. A shotgun build requires a lot of scavving for plastic, though. I was always low on plastic. I then switched to full auto handmade gun, which had better DPS and I found it fun. Heavy guns was a natural progression from that. I miss the staggering effect of my shotguns, but a gatling gun does a lot more DPS and I find full auto fun.

Soldato
Those new Free States packs prices are just insane even for Bethesda!

Would cost the same as buying another new game elsewhere so doubt many players will bother you would have to be an extreme fan to support this business model its very OTT for such average looking cosmetics which should be ingame already for all players for free IMO!

Man of Honour
I am still working on the perk cards thing, still have not figured it out but slowly getting there.

It's an annoying irritation IMO. You will end up having to swap cards in and out in different scenarios. For example, I have 5 charisma, which I use for maxxed Lone Wanderer and 1 rank of Tenderizer. The Hard Bargain perk is also a charisma perk. It's only of any use at all when trading with NPC vendors...but it's very useful then. So every time I trade with an NPC vendor I have to open my pip-boy screen, open my levelling screen, dismiss the perk card/stat redistribution screen (I'm L160-something, so I have spare levelling points), switch the lone wanderer perk from being in play to being in my pack, put the hard bargain perk card in play, close it all, do my trading and then do it all again in reverse. It's not my idea of a fun game mechanic. It's also far from the only example. I have to switch perk cards for crafting items. Perk cards for repairing items. Perk cards for making ammo. Perk cards for hacking a terminal. Many perk cards are useful in a specific situation (usually when crafting) and useless otherwise.

There is a mod on the Nexus for swapping perk cards en masse. Perk Loadout Manager. I keep meaning to install it and set up one perk loadout for normal play and one for crafting or trading.

Soldato
It's an annoying irritation IMO. You will end up having to swap cards in and out in different scenarios. For example, I have 5 charisma, which I use for maxxed Lone Wanderer and 1 rank of Tenderizer. The Hard Bargain perk is also a charisma perk. It's only of any use at all when trading with NPC vendors...but it's very useful then. So every time I trade with an NPC vendor I have to open my pip-boy screen, open my levelling screen, dismiss the perk card/stat redistribution screen (I'm L160-something, so I have spare levelling points), switch the lone wanderer perk from being in play to being in my pack, put the hard bargain perk card in play, close it all, do my trading and then do it all again in reverse. It's not my idea of a fun game mechanic. It's also far from the only example. I have to switch perk cards for crafting items. Perk cards for repairing items. Perk cards for making ammo. Perk cards for hacking a terminal. Many perk cards are useful in a specific situation (usually when crafting) and useless otherwise.

There is a mod on the Nexus for swapping perk cards en masse. Perk Loadout Manager. I keep meaning to install it and set up one perk loadout for normal play and one for crafting or trading.
Any other mods you recommend?

Bumped into the legendary beast again yesterday, a L50 sasquatch, probably not the right name, but again I kept out of his way, I am only level 26.
A couple of annoyances, 1 is the enemy with stars alongside their name seem rarely to have anything useful and what is it with enemies and ammo, they can shoot at you fir ages but only drop a couple of rounds when killed.
Often I have booted up the game and it tells me it cannot construct my camp do I want to try another world or move it for free, what's that all about?

Man of Honour
Any other mods you recommend?

Better Inventory, Better PA Light, Power Armor Clean HUD. I'm not sure which better PA light mod I'm using - it's the one where you have to download a different file depending on how bright you want it. If you're doing any serious camp building, then I Like Int Raw as well.

However...since the last patch none of my mods are working and I haven't found a solution.

A couple of annoyances, 1 is the enemy with stars alongside their name seem rarely to have anything useful

An enemy with stars alongside their name should drop a legendary item. It's bugged, of course, but that's what should happen. Unless you loot the corpse immediately, because the legendary item is added to the loot seperately and can take a second or a few seconds when the lag is very bad. Or if a non-legendary mob has been wrongly labelled as a legendary one. That's yet another known bug. Almost all legendary items in FO76 are useless anyway. There is a method for trading legendary items for other legendary items, but it's lottery odds on getting anything you want. You go to a train station, use the legendary machine to scrap a legendary item for some scrip, go to Berkley train station and trade with the purveyor inside it to buy a random legendary item with scrip. You can choose a very broad range of type (e.g. a ranged weapon) and 1*,2* or 3* legendary level. 1* will have a random modifier effect, 2* a random modifier and a random major, 3* a random modifier, a random major and a random minor (which are at best almost irrelevant). So you scrap half a dozen legendaries to get a random legendary with random effects. There are a lot of different items of each type and a lot of legendary effects, so you'll probably have to scrap at least thousands of legendaries to get 1 legendary that's of some use to you. Many players don't bother.

and what is it with enemies and ammo, they can shoot at you fir ages but only drop a couple of rounds when killed

Game balance (whether correct or not) trumps realism. After a while, you'll probably be crafting nearly all of your own ammo anyway. Acid+cloth at a chemistry station to make gunpowder (game balance > realism again), lead, steel and gunpowder at a tinkerer's bench to make ammo. Usually - some ammo types have different requirements. Ammosmith and Super Duper perks on when crafting ammo if possible - when those perks are maxxed that will about double the amount of ammo produced for a given amount of resources.

Often I have booted up the game and it tells me it cannot construct my camp do I want to try another world or move it for free, what's that all about?

Another player on the server you've been assigned to already has a camp in the same place. If you choose to stay on that world it shouldn't actually move your camp. It should give you the option to move it for free. In that situation, I usually just stay on that world and go to The Whitespring if I want to craft/repair/etc. Artisan's Corner in the shopping area in The WhiteSpring main building has several of every workbench and is completely safe (unless you've attacked a Whitespring robot and thus turned them all hostile for that session). Discovering the Whitespring isn't completely safe, especially not at your level, but once you've discovered it you can fast travel to it and that will put you in the garden right outside the main entrance (which is almost completely safe - mobs rarely get there and it's heavily guarded by robots not hostile to you) so you can immediately go inside (which is completely safe).

Soldato
This is becoming a little tiresome, I am on a quest in a mine and suddenly the enemies are 50+ with stealth being totally rubbish, balance is appalling.
Looks like the latest Wolfenstien will have to satisfy my gaming needs.

Man of Honour
This is becoming a little tiresome, I am on a quest in a mine and suddenly the enemies are 50+ with stealth being totally rubbish, balance is appalling.
Looks like the latest Wolfenstien will have to satisfy my gaming needs.

The fundamental problem with that aspect of balance is one of the fundamental problems with FO76 being multiplayer. It's simply not suited to being MP.

What's happening is that mobs are being spawned scaled (to some extent) to the level of the nearest player when they spawned. So when another player enters the area the mobs can be wildly out of scale. In some ways it's less of an issue than it was before because changes have been made to make the game easier for lower level players. In other ways it's more of an issue than it was before because a higher proportion of players are higher levels.

One viable solution is to play the game as an exploration game rather than as a quest-following game. In that respect FO76 is sort of balanced because Fallout games have always been largely about exploration and that's how most players want it. If you remain in the Forest zone, you will never have the problems you're having because mobs in that zone do not scale. If you explore the forest zone, doing the local quests in that zone if you like, you will be able to be powerful enough to handle almost all mobs. A L30 player with good kit can easily handle most L50+ mobs unless they get swarmed.

I left the forest zone at L25, but I was in a full suit of power armour (T-45 initially, Excavator after doing the quest) and I had a rifle and a shotgun and some good perks for that build. I wasn't even looking at the level of mobs because it didn't matter. Only some specific types of mob were a problem.

What equipment do you have? IIRC, you're in the high 20s for level. Do you have the highest level weapons and armour for your level? What weapons and what armour and how have you modified your weapons and armour? If, for example, you're wearing unmodified L5 leather armour and have an unmodified L5 melee weapon, you're in for a very bad time of it anywhere outside the newbie areas in the forest zone.

What perks do you have in play while out and about and at what level do you have the perks? That can make a lot of difference. Some obvious, e.g. the right perks can increase the damage per shot from a weapon by 60%. Some not so obvious, e.g. the right perks coupled with a shotgun can enable you to quite reliably stunlock most mobs and thus serves extremely well as a defensive measure.

Nukes Dragons has an excellent build planner for FO76. If you want to plan out your perks, that's probably the best thing to use. Although it doesn't work with Pale Moon for some reason.

Something I didn't notice for ages, so maybe some other players haven't noticed it either - the protection given by your armour depends on its condition. So it pays to keep your armour repaired, preferably swapping in the Fix It Good perk card when repairing to increase the condition to >100%.

Stimpaks hotkey to h by default, by the way. When you need a stimpak, the last thing you want to be doing is opening your inventory, selecting the aid tab and scrolling to get to stimpaks.

VATS is extremely useful in FO76, much more than some people expect. It's basically an aimbot and an enemy locator.

Man of Honour
I found a solution to the mods no longer working problem. You can no longer use sResourceArchive2list. Or was it sResourceArchiveList2? Whichever one it was, you can't use it any more :) I put my mods in sResourceIndexFileList (in the cutom ini, of course) and they now work fine.

Also, I finally got around to launching a nuke. Very tedious. But that gets me another scout badge and some more atom points.

Soldato
The fundamental problem with that aspect of balance is one of the fundamental problems with FO76 being multiplayer. It's simply not suited to being MP.

What's happening is that mobs are being spawned scaled (to some extent) to the level of the nearest player when they spawned. So when another player enters the area the mobs can be wildly out of scale. In some ways it's less of an issue than it was before because changes have been made to make the game easier for lower level players. In other ways it's more of an issue than it was before because a higher proportion of players are higher levels.

One viable solution is to play the game as an exploration game rather than as a quest-following game. In that respect FO76 is sort of balanced because Fallout games have always been largely about exploration and that's how most players want it. If you remain in the Forest zone, you will never have the problems you're having because mobs in that zone do not scale. If you explore the forest zone, doing the local quests in that zone if you like, you will be able to be powerful enough to handle almost all mobs. A L30 player with good kit can easily handle most L50+ mobs unless they get swarmed.

I left the forest zone at L25, but I was in a full suit of power armour (T-45 initially, Excavator after doing the quest) and I had a rifle and a shotgun and some good perks for that build. I wasn't even looking at the level of mobs because it didn't matter. Only some specific types of mob were a problem.

What equipment do you have? IIRC, you're in the high 20s for level. Do you have the highest level weapons and armour for your level? What weapons and what armour and how have you modified your weapons and armour? If, for example, you're wearing unmodified L5 leather armour and have an unmodified L5 melee weapon, you're in for a very bad time of it anywhere outside the newbie areas in the forest zone.

What perks do you have in play while out and about and at what level do you have the perks? That can make a lot of difference. Some obvious, e.g. the right perks can increase the damage per shot from a weapon by 60%. Some not so obvious, e.g. the right perks coupled with a shotgun can enable you to quite reliably stunlock most mobs and thus serves extremely well as a defensive measure.

Nukes Dragons has an excellent build planner for FO76. If you want to plan out your perks, that's probably the best thing to use. Although it doesn't work with Pale Moon for some reason.

Something I didn't notice for ages, so maybe some other players haven't noticed it either - the protection given by your armour depends on its condition. So it pays to keep your armour repaired, preferably swapping in the Fix It Good perk card when repairing to increase the condition to >100%.

Stimpaks hotkey to h by default, by the way. When you need a stimpak, the last thing you want to be doing is opening your inventory, selecting the aid tab and scrolling to get to stimpaks.

VATS is extremely useful in FO76, much more than some people expect. It's basically an aimbot and an enemy locator.

I think i have neglected my armour so will spend a bit time sorting that out, need to go rummaging for screws as I never seem to have enough.
As yet i have not been making stimpaks, trying to play without using them to often but that ain't working so will get onto that today.
I have plenty of power armours and armour pieces but as yet have not the frame to use them, I actually gave a PA to someone on level 2 yesterday, lol.

I found a solution to the mods no longer working problem. You can no longer use sResourceArchive2list. Or was it sResourceArchiveList2? Whichever one it was, you can't use it any more :) I put my mods in sResourceIndexFileList (in the cutom ini, of course) and they now work fine.

Also, I finally got around to launching a nuke. Very tedious. But that gets me another scout badge and some more atom points.

Can you be a bit more detailed with the mod thing I would love to sort out the carry weight thing and tidy up the inventory a bit and anything else you might consider useful?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom