Selling car

Man of Honour
I guess part of the issue with selling all but the most popular of cars privately is the way people search for cars, I mean how many people will say "I've got about 8 grand to spend, the solution to which is a 5 year old diesel Mazda" (I'm not suggesting it would be a bad choice, more a question of how many people would actively seek it out). Something like a Golf GT in the OP I would imagine is more commonly looked for. When my wife's Corsa was approaching 6 years old I'm confident we could've found a private buyer. The Leon that followed and sold after just over 3 years, maybe, as has a bit of a reputation as a 'cheaper Golf'. Her current 308SW? Not so much, at any age, despite being a better car than the other two in terms of size, power, toys etc. Probably worth about £8.5k private sale but can't really see anyone with that sort of money actually looking for one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pahah, you struggle to sell a car on a platform that someone else has success on, therefore that someone must be selling scrap. That is some truly infallible logic.

No, I simply dont believe you are selling cars instantly at their proper price, yes its easy if you undervalue them.

Soldato
I guess part of the issue with selling all but the most popular of cars privately is the way people search for cars, I mean how many people will say "I've got about 8 grand to spend, the solution to which is a 5 year old diesel Mazda" (I'm not suggesting it would be a bad choice, more a question of how many people would actively seek it out). Something like a Golf GT in the OP I would imagine is more commonly looked for. When my wife's Corsa was approaching 6 years old I'm confident we could've found a private buyer. The Leon that followed and sold after just over 3 years, maybe, as has a bit of a reputation as a 'cheaper Golf'. Her current 308SW? Not so much, at any age, despite being a better car than the other two in terms of size, power, toys etc. Probably worth about £8.5k private sale but can't really see anyone with that sort of money actually looking for one.

I dunno, I see them as broadly comparable in a lot of ways

how many people will say "I've got about 8 10 grand to spend, the solution to which is a 5 4 year old diesel Mazda VW"

They're both relatively well specced diesel mid size hatchbacks with reasonable performance, relatively new while being out of manufacturers warranty. Not going to start a "my car's better than his car" thing but surely the target buyers are broadly similar? That was why I mentioned it in the first place because they are pretty comparable. Granted the Golf is a more popular car but I dont see them being at opposite ends of the desirability spectrum and appealing to drastically different buyers

Our points are pretty similar though - people dont go seeking these sort of cars from private sale, which means it might be a fairly tough endeavour

Soldato
Always sold on autotrader, last few cars have gone to dealers on trade-in (or been stolen!) but sold my e92 335 and my e92 m3 on autotrader no issues and fairly quickly.

Soldato
Cars at the very bottom of the barrel are there for a reason :)

It's only 500 quid more than the cheapest comparatives and a grand cheaper than similar cars at dealers, it's been maintained meticulously, has quality tyres on it, no damage and in a desirable colour....... doesn't sound like a bad deal to me!

Not trying to push down your sale, but this also seems cheap.

2016/65k miles / £8k?
Guess it doesn't have bose speakers.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907059745531?atmobcid=soc3

I ask as I'm currently window shopping!

How much does it cost to put a car up on autotrader?

Soldato
Associate
Always sold mine on auto trader, I suggest taking some stellar photos, and providing a thorough description, with a realistic price compared to dealers and similarly priced cars. Usually sell with in a week or two

Soldato
No, I simply don't believe you are selling cars instantly at their proper price, yes its easy if you undervalue them.

As I said, both went for slightly over the estimated prices given by Glasses and Autotrader. None were the cheapest example of their make/spec, not by a long shot. A comprehensive advert and good pictures are all I've ever needed to sell a car with minimal fuss.

Soldato
@grudas I can't believe you drove a Copen, you massive poof :D

(Retreats back to Mini)
Raged it for a few weeks :D number of times I got called things is ridiculous. Bullied on the road daily! One of those cars my gf should've never got as a first car. Was good fun, not going to lie it was slow as heck but fun in the corners and a little 660cc turbo was awesome :D

Soldato
number of times I got called things is ridiculous. Bullied on the road daily!

Did you find you had the same treatment with the MX-5? Maybe it's because I drive a girly NB but having something shouted at me is almost a weekly occurence.

I find it quite funny really, normally from young lads on scooters or men driving diesel Mercs, probably on PCP and who've never driven anything interesting in their lives. Not normally my thing, but I'm tempted to get a couple of hairdresser-themed stickers just to trigger them even more :D

Soldato
Did you find you had the same treatment with the MX-5? Maybe it's because I drive a girly NB but having something shouted at me is almost a weekly occurence.

I find it quite funny really, normally from young lads on scooters or men driving diesel Mercs, probably on PCP and who've never driven anything interesting in their lives. Not normally my thing, but I'm tempted to get a couple of hairdresser-themed stickers just to trigger them even more :D

Didn't get that in the 5! Only had good comments! Which is funny as it was light blue roadster with pop-up lights..

It was mostly guys in 3 series, mercs etc... Presuming they were compensating for something :D

Associate
I tried all the E routes but what actually sold it in the end was a simple "For Sale" sign in the window. I added £100 more that I wanted, he offered me £100 less than I wanted. We met in the middle and I got what I wanted :D

Soldato
eBay surely has to have the biggest audience nowadays. Unless it’s special or cheap you have to expect selling a car will take time. ESP as it’s summer and many people are focussing in holidays and what now

Ebay was the only route that I took which generated any interest so I'm inclined to agree - lots of ad space and formatting ability to make a good listing too.

The only trouble I had, and it might have been me being an idiot, was that it didnt have the option for a classified listing any more. You used to be able to do a fairly low price 28 day ad that had no ebay transaction stuff at all - so no "buy it now" button. The only option I had when selecting motors was a 12 day buy-it-now or auction listing. Might be to do with my account (although its 100% positive and about 15 years old), or the car or value or something but it definitely didnt give me the option.

Soldato
Ebay was the only route that I took which generated any interest so I'm inclined to agree - lots of ad space and formatting ability to make a good listing too.

The only trouble I had, and it might have been me being an idiot, was that it didnt have the option for a classified listing any more. You used to be able to do a fairly low price 28 day ad that had no ebay transaction stuff at all - so no "buy it now" button. The only option I had when selecting motors was a 12 day buy-it-now or auction listing. Might be to do with my account (although its 100% positive and about 15 years old), or the car or value or something but it definitely didnt give me the option.

it does have it.. you just need to google ebay classified as you can never find it on their website.. or phone app.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Is there a general consensus for where to sell your car? I have a 2015 plate Golf GTD with ~67k miles. The local dealer ignored my email and the WeBuyAnyCar quote is unsurprisingly low.

Is eBay/Autotrader worth the fee and faff of people messing you about? Any other decent places to look to sell it?

Thanks

What's the reg, mileage and what do you want for it? Give us half a chance!

WBAC are around £11k. Retail on a 15 plate GTD with 67,000 is £12,250. £1,150 away from dealer money doesn't seem the worst.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As I said, both went for slightly over the estimated prices given by Glasses and Autotrader. None were the cheapest example of their make/spec, not by a long shot. A comprehensive advert and good pictures are all I've ever needed to sell a car with minimal fuss.

you must be on a different gumtree in a different parallel universe.

the only time i've sold stuff same day on gumtree was when it was dirt cheap even then i had a set of £300 speakers on there for £40 the best offer i had in a month was £20. the only reason i priced them as low as £40 in the first place was to get shot of them quickly as it was a full 5.1 system with a large heavy sub taking up space. they went for £100 on ebay (when postage was an option).

also the only times i've had same day sales is when i've been giving away stuff for free. got a call within literally 30 seconds and the guy turned up within 15 minutes. he did however reverse his car into a pillar outside the front door. old victorian style house with massive archway in front of door with storm doors before the real door.

so it ended up costing him the damage to his car. pillar never had a scratch on it.

Back
Top Bottom