Harmless fun or sexist bigotry?

Soldato
At what point does a tongue and cheek advert become offensive?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-49035175

Personally I think it is silly to get offended by this, just as i would not get offended if they did a sister campaign (can you use that term now) with a good looking man on it.

PS side comment.
why is it ok to depict a topless man on an advert but not a topless woman. Some may say that is inequality right there.

Caporegime
Silly thing to get outraged over and ironically only serves to help give much more value for money/greater reach for the company behind the advert.

Man of Honour
Prof Carrie Paechter, director of the Nottingham Centre for Children, Young People and Families, said the advert was "like something out of the 1950s" and called for it to be removed.

"If I had young children, I wouldn't want them passing that on the way to school, because of the messages it gives them about society," she said.

"The subliminal message about society is that it's OK to comment on women's bodies, and comment on women's bodies as if they are the possession of someone else - 'your wife'.

"It also gives the subliminal message that it's the man of the house that's responsible for getting the air conditioning fixed."

LOL, subliminal messages.

Caporegime
In fact, check out these anti-gay messages in the article:

Prof Carrie Paechter, director of the Nottingham Centre for Children
[...]
"It also gives the subliminal message that it's the man of the house that's responsible for getting the air conditioning fixed."
[...]
The billboard is opposite a school uniform supply shop, where staff were not impressed.
[...]
"It's like in the '70s and '80s when they used to have girls modelling with cars. To say 'Your wife is hot' is aiming it at men.
[...]
Her colleague Rebecca Morris said a woman had been put on the advert "for no reason".
[...]

"It's aimed at men but anyone can buy air conditioning. I just don't know how it made it on to a billboard.
[...]
CJ Wilkinson added: "It isn't only women that get hot. It's more aimed towards men which is obviously a bit sexist."

Women can have wives too, it's [current year].... checkmate bigots! :D

Soldato
To say 'Your wife is hot' is aiming it at men.

However, what if some of the viewers of the ad are lesbians?

Not every wife is in a heterosexual relationship!
Err, it's actually a very LGBTQ+ friendly ad if you think about it. It doesn't care if the viewer is a man or a woman, or whatever. They're just talking about your wife. That's all.

Soldato
OP
Honestly. Who cares
presumably the people who complained.

As for me, I was just curious. Maybe i am a dinosaur but i just do not see it as offensive..... Now the wonderbra adverts however......... they dont offend me but i actually do think they are dangerous (be it whether the tag line is hello boys! or hello me! they are definitely designed when on the side of roads to make drivers - of what ever persuasion - take their eyes off the road.

I would be more worried about such a billboard to cause an accident than i would subliminally subvert a girl into thinking she was in anyway inferior to a boy, or make a boy think he was in any way superior to a girl.

It's 2019 so....

IM OFFENDED AND YOU'RE A BIGOT!

lol not the 1st time i have been accused of it ;)

Soldato
OP
Ok, one person complained.

Apparently that constitutes enough for a BBC news story and forum discussion now.

it is a BBC news story.... I posted and people responded so yep, apparently you are correct :).

looking at the stuff which seems to get talked about on these forums it seems reasonable.... of course the beauty of online forum threads is no one forces anyone to take part.,

Soldato
OP
Standard GD. This place has become a place for red faced men to congregate moaning about some tweet a nobody has made.
lol..... this is hilarious... who is moaning? I asked a question, was just light hearted banter.. at least from my side.

please tell me who is getting hot and bothered because that seems a strawman to me.

Back
Top Bottom