Harmless fun or sexist bigotry?

Soldato
It's harmless fun, and a mixture of the politically correct + a media that as to stir up controversy to keep in business.. so they are permanently offended on anyones behalf.

Caporegime
More evidence that the state needs shrinking.

"There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts."

If people find it offensive then just don't pay more than a glance at it, this "run to mummy" or the nanny state mentality sums up the childishness of most adults today.

Associate
It's stupid, but at the same time, folk nowadays know where the limits are for the general public. Whilst I don't think it's offensive at all personally, the folk that have decided on the ad campaign should surely know that it's gonna cause an outrage from certain folk.

Man of Honour
It's obviously discriminatory against people in relationships who aren't married! Terrible! Send everyone responsible to a re-education facility immediately!

I think the ad was in poor taste and a bit sexist in isolation (if they had simultaneously run one with a man, I'd have no complaints), but some of the comments opposing it were quite deranged, e.g.

"The subliminal message about society is that it's OK to comment on women's bodies, and comment on women's bodies as if they are the possession of someone else - 'your wife'.

is blithering nonsense that says a lot more about how the person saying it thinks than about how other people think. There is no such "subliminal message" - that person made it up from their own mind. The problem is in their head, not anyone else's.

Soldato
They are Nottingham based and that advertising billboard is just up the road from us. Anyway I'm so offended by this I've sent them an email....asking for a quote for air-conditioning.

Soldato
The BBC article states this:

"A new rule came into force last month prohibiting harmful gender stereotypes in adverts, following a review of gender stereotyping by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)."

I get that it is a gender stereotype of sorts, but is it really a harmful one? I have noticed now that adverts and other media catered towards women featuring attractive men don't get any of this sort of criticism at all. I don't care either way to be honest, but I hate the double standards. If they are going to come out with this rubbish then it should be done across the board not just to shut the militant feminists up when they moan about something.

Soldato
I don't know whats worse in 2019 for a man, reading mainstream news like bbc or getting married and having a wife? Tough choice.

Back
Top Bottom