It's too hot :(

Soldato
Wow what a beautiful kitchen :)

Thanks. Still waiting for a splashback which will complete it. My wife insisted on an AC unit, i was against it, how wrong i was. Bi-fold doors just add to the heat that's generated. This unit cools this whole area and the bit to the right which you cant see approx 35 sq m2 pplus. Our installers measured up first and told us the appropriate unit to use otherwise wouldnt have had a clue. I have a portable ac unit with about 12000 BTU but will only be used in another room if we are desperate now

Soldato
Thanks. Still waiting for a splashback which will complete it. My wife insisted on an AC unit, i was against it, how wrong i was. Bi-fold doors just add to the heat that's generated. This unit cools this whole area and the bit to the right which you cant see approx 35 sq m2 pplus. Our installers measured up first and told us the appropriate unit to use otherwise wouldnt have had a clue. I have a portable ac unit with about 12000 BTU but will only be used in another room if we are desperate now

Wish I could afford a unit myself!

Bi-Fold doors have their benefits though - they’re ace :)

Soldato
Yes, but fans only move hot air.

I'll take my placebo, it keeps me happy.

It is, still air holds heat better than moving air, this is one of the reasons air from a fan will "feel" cooler than it did standing.

Exactly what ubersonic posted.

Here is the scientific answer

Fans do not produce cold air, they produce the sensation of colder air. There are two different phenomena at play depending on the air temperature.

If the air temperature is less than ~24C, then the reason why the human body perceives it as colder with the fan on has to do with the air boundary layer: that is a thin layer of slow-moving air a few millimetres thick all over your exposed skin (this layer also gets thicker where you have body hair). This air layer effectively insulates your body. When it's windy, or when there is a fan on, this thin layer of slow-moving air is disrupted and your insulation is literally blown off by this fast-moving air, and you feel colder.

If the air temperature is above ~24C, your body increasingly needs to sweat to control its temperature. When you sweat, the water on your skin will evaporate: the heat required for evaporation is extremely large, so a small amount of water does a tremendous amount of bodily cooling and this is a very effective way of staying cool. Unfortunately, in such conditions the boundary layer described in the previous paragraph is an impediment to your body's attempts at cooling down, because the air next to your skin isn't moving. When there is a fan on, that boundary layer is disrupted and lots of fresh air comes in and evaporates water on your skin much faster, and consequently you feel much cooler.

Think when you are doing sports in hot weather e.g.hard running or cycling.
When you are moving you feel cooler than when you stop, even though the air temp is the same.

Soldato
Associate
Arpege now showing 39c for parts of London up into Cambridgeshire on Thursday.

CAPE values for tonight focus on wales, central and southern area's for any chance of decent thundery output, tomorrow around mid afternoon the cape values are high so there's a good chance of some impressive light shows

Soldato
It's been a nice day here as well - Had a early dinner and went off to Hodnet for a clay shoot - met a lot of people I haven't seen for ages - Talked about a lot of people I haven't seen for ages because they are dead - My how time fly's - Got home and sat in garden with a glass of Brandy and it was so quiet - No screaming kids or barking dogs - just bird song and bikers going home from cafe on A41 - Some nice sounding bikes about tonight.
Wife said wouldn't it be nice if a Vulcan bomber came over and put it's nose in the air and opened it up - I said followed by Concord then a English Electric lightning - and to finish off a fly past by a B52 - only ever seen one and it was high above me one night when shooting.

Just had a few spots of rain - hope we don't have a thunder storm.

Soldato
My portable AC is doing very well still, bought it 6-8 years ago and it is fantastic. Gets the bedroom down from 26c+ to 20c and 18-19c through the night. Still very tempted by a split system, but I would like it to be a dual split to have it in the living room too. Would like to fit it myself too as I have f-gas certification.

Working earlier hours tomorrow to avoid some of the heat. The workshop has an asbestos roof and even with all the doors open, there's no through breeze and it's just one massive greenhouse with very still air.

Man of Honour
Spain is getting hammered (is that a Thor joke?) at the moment and they're slowly moving North. One or two just developing in Normandy too.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=13

Was picking up in the channel earlier in the day but then petered out - now it seems to be building up pretty spectacularly over the channel maybe heading towards me. Think I'm gonna unplug my electronics stuff tonight just incase.

Soldato
The long venting kit is back out and stretched along the landing into the bedroom again for the summer. Currently got some lovely cool air falling on me and the noise of the AC unit is in the front bedroom.
Awaiting the thunder.

Back
Top Bottom