• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
The reason everyone got annoyed with xbone on day one was, as far as I can remember, annoying everyone by fixing software to specific consoles (which they backtracked on) and a huge overemphasis on gimmicky motion controls.

In fact, wasn’t the original PS4 controller expensive and motion based?? They do quietly get rid of these things don’t they :p

Soldato
In fact, wasn’t the original PS4 controller expensive and motion based??

No?

Are you thinking of the PS3's "sixaxis"?
The drama around that was that they'd removed rumble claiming it was impossible to implement AND keep the motion controls working.
But we all knew it was due to a lawsuit from a haptic technology company that I forget the name of.

Man of Honour
No?

Are you thinking of the PS3's "sixaxis"?
The drama around that was that they'd removed rumble claiming it was impossible to implement AND keep the motion controls working.
But we all knew it was due to a lawsuit from a haptic technology company that I forget the name of.
Ah yes that was it :)

Soldato
The reason everyone got annoyed with xbone on day one was, as far as I can remember, annoying everyone by fixing software to specific consoles (which they backtracked on)

Not quite.

Games were never going to be tied to a console, or even an account. Most of the vitriol was over two problems:

1. To enable the trading of digital keys, license checks were needed. You had to connect to the Internet every 24 hours to have your licenses renewed. If you couldn't do this, you wouldn't be able to play any games.

2. Publishers were set to be given control over the resale market. All Microsoft games would be freely tradable, but other publishers would be free to choose whether their games could be resold, and on what terms (a cut of the sale price, for example).

Ultimately, the biggest problem was how badly they communicated what was to be a new and fairly complicated system. There was a lot of misunderstanding among Microsoft employees at the time, and therefore a lot of contradiction and false information.

For more info on the original Xbox One vision, see:

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/original-xbox-one-drm-policies.454196923/

Last edited:
Soldato
Not quite.

Games were never going to be tied to a console, or even an account. Most of the vitriol was over two problems:

1. To enable the trading of digital keys, license checks were needed. You had to connect to the Internet every 24 hours to have your licenses renewed. If you couldn't do this, you wouldn't be able to play any games.

2. Publishers were set to be given control over the resale market. All Microsoft games would be freely tradable, but other publishers would be free to choose whether their games could be resold, and on what terms (a cut of the sale price, for example).

Ultimately, the biggest problem was how badly they communicated what was to be a new and fairly complicated system. There was a lot of misunderstanding among Microsoft employees at the time, and therefore a lot of contradiction and false information.

For more info on the original Xbox One vision, see:

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/original-xbox-one-drm-policies.454196923/

Ironically I think if they released the next Xbox with this system, it would be welcomed with open arms. I didn't understand the vitriol at the time either, a digital resale market would be incredible. I buy 90% of my games digitally now, and that will only go up.

I also recall that there would bbe 3rd party store fronts? EG. a 'Game' app that sold games etc, so there would be actual digital competition and better pricing. Again this was binned.

Soldato
I also recall that there would bbe 3rd party store fronts? EG. a 'Game' app that sold games etc, so there would be actual digital competition and better pricing. Again this was binned.

One of those "sounds great in theory" ideas. The reality being that the price difference would probably be meagre at best, and either physical games would continue to be much cheaper or the pricing of physical titles would be increased to match the online stores.

I doubt we'd ever see anything like it now, as you say yourself people are buying more and more digital titles regardless of the significant price difference so there's little benefit to a complicated system when MS and the publishers are getting massive cuts of each sale through the single online store anyway.

Soldato
Ironically I think if they released the next Xbox with this system, it would be welcomed with open arms. I didn't understand the vitriol at the time either, a digital resale market would be incredible. I buy 90% of my games digitally now, and that will only go up.

Because it makes no sense at all for developers or publishers to get a cut of second hand sales, and they are completely delusional even thinking that it's okay for them to expect any more money than what they got from the first sale.

Man of Honour
Because it makes no sense at all for developers or publishers to get a cut of second hand sales, and they are completely delusional even thinking that it's okay for them to expect any more money than what they got from the first sale.

Physical media degrades over time, and can get lost or damaged.

If digital licences could be sold in the same manner as physical copies then the developer is ultimately losing out as the licences are immune to decreasing in supply over time.

Soldato
Physical media degrades over time, and can get lost or damaged.

If digital licences could be sold in the same manner as physical copies then the developer is ultimately losing out as the licences are immune to decreasing in supply over time.
Eh, not really. But that still doesn't entitle developers to a cut after the initial sale. It is a nonsensical expectation.

Man of Honour
Eh, not really. But that still doesn't entitle developers to a cut after the initial sale. It is a nonsensical expectation.
Definitely, but feel free to articulate your argument if you disagree

Why are you entitled to resell software? I appreciate being able to resell my old games, but I don't feel entitled to do so.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime

Why are you entitled to resell software? I appreciate being able to resell my old games, but I don't feel entitled to do so.

Because like pretty much everything in this life, if you own it, you can sell it. Buy a car, you can sell it. Buy a new piece of clothing, you can sell it.

Why should software be any different. I'm struggling to see your argument against it.

Soldato

It's a consumer good, consumers should be free to sell on their consumer goods without the original manufacturer trying to scab a cut when they've been paid for the item already. You aren't presenting an argument for why they should be entitled to additional money for a product they've already been paid for.

Caporegime
OP
I like this quote from Phil Spencer at X019

Phil Spencer: If you remember at the launch of Xbox One, we were $100 more expensive and less powerful. So, I won't be in that position. There's no doubt about that. As an industry that's growing so fast, we do think about price. We do think about performance as well. I'm not going to sacrifice performance for the sake of price.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-15-the-big-xo19-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

That's great news to my ear. I'd rather have something powerful at £499 than something not so powerful at £399.

Soldato
What he's saying is that we'll either match the ps5 in performance and price, or we'll be more expensive and give you more performance.

Either result is great news for gamers

Caporegime
The only reason Xbox One was so expensive was Microsoft's insistence on getting their spycam into peoples homes, even without it though they would have been no cheaper than PS4 and still had a less powerful system.

Soldato
Gamepass Ultimate has made the decision for me to pre-order this when it's available this year. I'vs basically stopped my Ps4 subscription now over what the xbox has been doing with it's gamepass and deals on game

Back
Top Bottom