Just gave blood again, do you?

Soldato
I've managed to convince Mrs Faysh to donate, despite her a) being a massive wuss when it comes to needles and b) causing no end of problems for the medical profession when they try to take blood from her.

I'm going as moral support and I'm going to steal have an orange Club as a "sign up a willing volunteer bonus"!

Soldato
Just made my second donation. After the long wait last time I thought I'd book and earlier appointment so that there wasn't a back log. 11:15am appointment..... this time I had to wait even longer before being seen. 45mins wait before anything even happened. What's the point in giving people specific appointments if they're nowhere near meeting the time and then to make matters worse there was some sort of issue with the machine so they ended up taking an under reading and the donation can't even be used by hospitals.

What a waste of time.

I won't be bothering again.

Soldato
With the amount of weird stuff the military gave me as "inoculations" for various overseas Op's I'd probably make someone ill.

I had to carry around a credit card sized warning for medics/docs that said words to the effect of - "we antrax'd this fella up, his bloods screwed, be careful" plus other cards for Leishmaniasis, typhoid etc.

Man of Honour
So earlier this evening I've had some bad news.
I went in for my 88th donation but I'd ticked 'changed medication' on my form and the Head Nurse had a word and it seems that because I've had a TIA and now take Clopidogrel and I can't donate any more.
I might sound like a big girl but I broke down crying because this is something I 100% believe in and after I'd recovered a bit the team came and shook my hand because at least 5 of them have been there for at least the last 10 years so got to know me.
I got on my bike and virtually cried all the way home.
My mind is going through a 'I'm totally useless' phase at the moment.

Associate
On
A+

They were telling me that they had to tell a man the other week who had 99 he couldn't give no more for the same reason.

On the bright side then yours is not really very rare. Granted it is needed but you can rest assured there is enough in supply.

I'm O- so not the rarest but the most universal and the one used for emergencies. I feel guilty if I don't donate because of how needed it is but I still fall short of going all of the time and when I should. I'm booked in for December as I haven't been in a few years due to inconvenience. I've booked round the corner from work and going to get into a habbit of booking on my works dinner so I'm more consistent and know months down the line nothing will crop up that won't allow me to attend.

Man of Honour
Just wanted to resurrect this. The ongoing situation means that a lot of donors aren't showing up to appointments. I went to mine yesterday (728) and it was half-empty. The need for units has dropped due to the ban on elective surgeries, and less accidents due to far less driving. But they are still collecting. Even Boris says it's OK to attend.

Commissario
I went to my session last week and it was as busy as normal, the only difference was that the chairs in the waiting area were further apart than usual.

However, I was rejected because I've not been discharged from the hospital yet following the surgery on my arm. I have an appointment next week for an x-ray and a checkup and that was enough for them to say 'nope, go home'. When I see the consultant next week, I expect him to want to see me again in another six months so I'm effectively unable to give blood again until then. It's very disappointing. I was actually quite upset that I couldn't give on Thursday afternoon.

Soldato
I haven't given blood before, but always thought that I should and the current crisis got me thinking about it more. So signed up last week - There are NO appointments to give blood at any local centre near me within the next four months. You can't even register to say "call me in case you get a no show" or something like that.

Crying out for blood, yet can't seem to service the demand for it to be provided. Is there somewhere you can look to see if there is a "turn up on the day" sort of thing? I remember there being a van which would come to somewhere I worked about 12 years ago, but not sure if they still run, or would be running whilst we are on lock down.

Caporegime
I normally do but last time I went the nurse didn’t attach the needle properly after inserting and it fell to the side yanking against the inside of my arm :o

Fair to say that was rather unpleasant and has put me off somewhat. Plus I’m on all sorts of medication at the moment so not even sure they’d be able to take it.

img

img

Associate
I haven't given blood before, but always thought that I should and the current crisis got me thinking about it more. So signed up last week - There are NO appointments to give blood at any local centre near me within the next four months. You can't even register to say "call me in case you get a no show" or something like that.

Crying out for blood, yet can't seem to service the demand for it to be provided. Is there somewhere you can look to see if there is a "turn up on the day" sort of thing? I remember there being a van which would come to somewhere I worked about 12 years ago, but not sure if they still run, or would be running whilst we are on lock down.

Best giving them a call. If you are o- then they might just fit you in somewhere is my experience.

Soldato
I would love to give blood but due to being on steroids I’m excluded need to be off them for a year at least before they will consider me as far as I’m aware. Once I’m clear of the steroids I will give it a go I’m not bothered by needles so should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom