Washing Machine Help

Soldato
So my washing machine appears to have given up the ghost, the door is locking the cycle is starting, it fills up perfectly fine then makes the noise as if its spinning but the drum is motionless. I can turn the drum by hand just fine. It counted down fine and drained at the end of the cycle fine but obviously it didnt spin so the clothes were still very wet. I noticed lots of white flecks in on everything after, I pulled the filter and it was pretty much spotless. Any ideas? Im guessing from the noise I am hearing the motor is fine but maybe some sort of belt is the issue.

The machine is an Indesit IWD 71250s. It was from a family friend last year as we moved unfurnished and they were moving themselves so no longer needed it so its no hard feelings if its time to upgrade and get a new but if its a simple fix may as well try and get some life back into it.

If fixing turns out to be pointless what brands should I be getting/should I be avoiding?

Soldato
Failed drive belt? There's usually a motor that drives the drum via a belt (like a car fanbelt). If the belt fails, the drum doesn't turn. It's also possibly something like the bushes on the motor. Both are usually fairly simple fixes, but nowadays I'd expect some kind of error message for things like that.

Associate
My bet is on the bushes in the motor wearing. Sounds like they spin but no motion. If it doesn't spin the white flecks might be unrinsed washing powder. New bushes cost about £15 or so and are an easy DIY fit

FluffySheep

Soldato
If it's the belt, you can get a new one for £4.99 here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253512966163

It's more likely to be the brushes, which can be bought for £6.95 here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173897971534

Both the above are fairly simple DIY tasks. If you open the machine up, check the belt first - it will be obvious if it's snapped, but also make sure it is reasonably tight and not able to slip. If the belt is fine, take the motor out and check if the brushes are worn. It's easy to tell if they are worn, because they'll have less than an couple of centimetres left. Use the eBay listing to help you judge.

If you do change the brushes, try to clean the copper armature with very fine sandpaper. Then use compressed air to clean out old carbon dust from the motor and in between the copper blocks on the armature - do this outside to avoid getting dust everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom