Attaching Sky dish to freeview tuners on TV

Associate
My Sky TV package is coming to an end soon and rather than renewing I am thinking of cancelling and using the twin tuners built into the TV (kd-55xe9305) I was told that Sky use different "special LNBs"? and its not as simple as just plugging it in into the TV, has anyone done this recently?

Cheers

Associate
OP
No worries, semantics, but will need to be a freesat box if you want to use the satellite connections. Have you not got a normal aerial you can use? then you can use the built in freeview and youview.

I do have a TV aerial yes, so I was just looking at the TV spec (LINK) and it says

Number of Tuners (Terrestral/Cable)
2(Digital)/1 Analog

and

Number of Tuners (Sat)

Do you know if I plug the normal aerial into the TV if I would be able to watch one program and record another via USB?

Soldato
I don't believe you would no. It's counting the two satellite tuners as digital and the aerial/coax input as analog despite it being a digital tuner.

So in theory you can only record the program you're watching or have it record something when the tv is "off".

Associate
If it's Sky Q don't you need to swap the LNB? I didn't think anybody other than Sky understands their wide band LNBs.

Man of Honour
The newer Sky dishes must be different because older boxes don't work on the newer ones. I tried an old box at my step sons house they've just moved into while they waited on new Sky installation.

Caporegime
The newer Sky dishes must be different because older boxes don't work on the newer ones. I tried an old box at my step sons house they've just moved into while they waited on new Sky installation.

Its not the dish but the lnb.

You can ask the engineer when he installs sky q to install a hybrid lnb and that will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom