• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
I haven't seen any really good DX12 implementations personally - they generally seem to have issues like stutter or have a bloated "feel" and struggle to feel like 60 FPS until you are way over that, etc.

Exactly. We've had this DX12 argument for YEARs now. The truth is by the time DX12 is relative and DX11 is legacy, there will be new gpus from both vendors out. I wouldn't factor that into a purchase.

Soldato
Whilst I am guilty of buying expensive GPUs, AMD have generally been the good guys and many of their GPUs I have bought have been superb value/performance. I bought the 2080Ti, as I had all my overtime money set in a separate account and that paid for it and whilst I am happy with the performance of the 2080Ti, I can't help but feel a bit peeved at spending £1179 on it. It has gotten to the point where I will look at a console now and happily sit in front of my TV and game. I will still keep my PC but will be like so many others and buy the cheaper options (1050/570).

For clarity, my last lot of overtime, paid for a cruise for me and the wife in October and that puts things into perspective a little.

Can't blame Nvidia for the 1179 you paid for it. Blame yourself. You could have got a 1080ti for half of that or a 2080 for £700 or so.

Soldato
He's obviously referring to 1400p/ultrawide/4k gaming.
He said "People don't buy AMD today because it's way above what they are willing to spend, and for 150-200$ you don't receive substantial performance improvements over what was offered 3-4 years ago".

Yea the only thing that AMD was guilty of releasing the RX480 4GB and 8GB at ridiculously bang for bucks pricing and not follow-suit with Nvidia selling crap performing card at around £200 and below segment. The RX480 was essentially similar to the 1080ti in a way, which anyone that bought them at the price they were at it was money well-spent because of the amazing price to performance they offered comparing to most cards today.

Soldato
Can't remember the game, Horizon or something on the PS4 (Non Pro), that looks AMAZING on my 4K TV in HDR despite only been 1080p.
Artistic direction sometimes make a much a bigger difference to how nice a game look than just how much the GPU is capable of pushing.

I mean take the Nintendo Switch for example, despite having the exact same hardware, the graphic or art quality of Zelda and the Pokemon Sword and Shield Wild Area look vastly lacking comparing to say the graphic/art of Xenoblade Chronicle 2.

Soldato
Artistic direction sometimes make a much a bigger difference to how nice a game look than just how much the GPU is capable of pushing.

I mean take the Nintendo Switch for example, despite having the exact same hardware, the graphic or art quality of Zelda and the Pokemon Sword and Shield Wild Area look vastly lacking comparing to say the graphic/art of Xenoblade Chronicle 2.

The switch has exactly same as PS4?

Soldato
Some poor DX12 games: BFV

Some good DX12 games: Gears of War 4
Only one of those is a dx12 game though. Clue...

The good one ;)

The other is simply a dx11 game with some sort of dx12 ‘patch’ tacked on as an afterthought.

There really are only a handful (6?) ‘real’ dx12 games.

Caporegime
Whilst I am guilty of buying expensive GPUs, AMD have generally been the good guys and many of their GPUs I have bought have been superb value/performance. I bought the 2080Ti, as I had all my overtime money set in a separate account and that paid for it and whilst I am happy with the performance of the 2080Ti, I can't help but feel a bit peeved at spending £1179 on it. It has gotten to the point where I will look at a console now and happily sit in front of my TV and game. I will still keep my PC but will be like so many others and buy the cheaper options (1050/570).

For clarity, my last lot of overtime, paid for a cruise for me and the wife in October and that puts things into perspective a little.

I honestly never understood why you bought one tbh...

Associate
GTX 1080Ti: The Anomaly That's Killing RTX!

The 1080ti wasn't 'too good' or 'incredible value' it was expensive and performed quite well for its price but not exceptionally.
The nonsense that this guy is peddling is the reason prices have recently gone insane, we should have 1080ti performance now for £300
but because AMD keep ******** the bed we have to suffer the Nvidia drip feed greed fest forever. I want 50% faster than my 1080ti SLI but will
be switching to console and stopping PC gaming soon the way things are going. I remember buying a X850XT PE for £329 or thereabouts and thinking that was expensive but I could see a big improvement in Battlefield 2 so it was worth it to me. Today I'm looking at well over £1000 to increase my fps
from what I have now. AMD don't even do crossfire any longer which means they've effectively stopped me from buying their GPUs as the performance isn't there and never will be again.

Back
Top Bottom