Re-locating out of the UK, as easy as re-locating in the UK?

Soldato
As above, is it easy as moving from say York to Manchester that I previously did, aside from language barrier and logistics of moving?

I've probably answered the question partially, logistics and language barrier.

Is it possible to reasonably move abroad and work whilst fully English speaking, (Obviously as you go learning the language as it wouldn't be very respectful otherwise).

Associate
In short, no. The degree of adjustment, difficulty, etc. varies depending on your personality, languages you speak, cultural awareness, profession and destination. It's a very broad question with many variables.

I emigrated from Australia to the UK almost 15 years ago and now hold dual citizenship. It was a fairly easy relocation since language, driving etc. is very similar. Professionally it wasn't too bad once I got my foot in the door but initially it was an upward battle of "But you don't have UK experience". IT is somehow radically different anyway in the developed world? The mind boggles.

If it's something that interests you then I highly recommend trying it. It can greatly broaden your perception and strengthens your character to be the fish out of water to an extent.

Soldato
I guess it depends on where you're going, I'd suggest Europe isn't somewhere you can plan with any certainty right now though.

Soldato
Is it possible to reasonably move abroad and work whilst fully English speaking, ...
Yes. I moved overseas in 1996 to a non-english speaking country and I still don't speak the local lingo except for a few phrases.:p My father has been an expatriate since 1962 and apart from one year has never lived in an english speaking country, he still doesn't speak any other language than english!

Depends on where you're going to and what sort of profession you're in I guess.

Caporegime
I guess it depends on where you're going, I'd suggest Europe isn't somewhere you can plan with any certainty right now though.
If only there was a free market for movement within a large group of countries with a right to work in any of them, visa free, for as long as you like? That would be brilliant and make things so easy.

Soldato
As above, is it easy as moving from say York to Manchester that I previously did, aside from language barrier and logistics of moving?

Funnily enough, most countries in the world do not allow unrestricted immigration, so you'll have to persuade them to let you in.

Soldato
OP
If only there was a free market for movement within a large group of countries with a right to work in any of them, visa free, for as long as you like? That would be brilliant and make things so easy.

Funnily enough, most countries in the world do not allow unrestricted immigration, so you'll have to persuade them to let you in.

EU does.

But we left.

Caporegime
No it's really hard.
You move to entirely new culture.
I still regularly have absolutely no idea what cultural reference, singers, TV hosts any popular culture or childhood references People are making.

You feel utterly left out. It takes years to assimilate.

The only saving grace is the internet is ubiquitous and mostly English for the memes etc. So I can mingle with the kids well.

Being British was also a godsend, but maybe not after October 31st.

Soldato
OP
No it's really hard.
You move to entirely new culture.
I still regularly have absolutely no idea what cultural reference, singers, TV hosts any popular culture or childhood references People are making.

You feel utterly left out. It takes years to assimilate.

The only saving grace is the internet is ubiquitous and mostly English for the memes etc. So I can mingle with the kids well.

Being British was also a godsend, but maybe not after October 31st.

Do you speak Swedish?

Soldato
You need to consider spouses as well, especially if they’re not working / raising children. The other half is normally occupied with work most of the time and has a good structure and order to things, while they can feel very cast adrift and lonely, especially in a foreign language country.

Caporegime
Near where I live there's a Facebook datacenter, Luleå. There's quite a lot of American families relocated here.
Im In a local FB group for English speakers, that I sometimes still use for advise, but was a godsend at the start.
My gf is from here though, im iot sure I'd relish the challenge of just plopping into Sweden with a family.
As long as you have a guaranteed, secured job it would be easier to assimilate overtime.

Sports clubs are a huge thing up here.
Theres a society or club for everything, I was going to start an archery one but Its out of the window after I've injured my shoulder.

I know of 2 other Brits living in my town.
An ex football player from some division 3 team that transferred here to the local team then stayed and, a Scottish ******* that's a complete Marxist and seems to hate everything for real, not just as a joke. Both blend in perfectly, wouldn't know unless you asked.

Cool story efour.

Soldato
Ireland. Unless you move to a Gaeltacht area you don't need another language.
You will need to do some serious research on any country before you decide to go, it's usually not just the language that is different...

Soldato
Is it possible to move abroad and only speak English? Yes. It's not something to take lightly though and the differences are far more than just language.

Soldato
Is it possible to reasonably move abroad and work whilst fully English speaking, (Obviously as you go learning the language as it wouldn't be very respectful otherwise).

Yes, and it’s even possible to do it without learning the language. I’ve done it twice, once with a previous knowledge of the language, the other time with no knowledge of it at all.

You’ll find that in many places, particularly outside of Europe, being a native English speaker puts you at a huge advantage in terms of employability and salary compared to the locals.

Of course, it’s never as easy as moving from one place in the UK to another, but I certainly wouldn’t describe it as difficult provided you do your research and don’t rush into anything.

Caporegime
Lots of good replies here but what the biggest difference for me was the cultural changes. I am a very open person but you really have to be the kind of person which just takes things as it goes and adapt as you learn.

I know several who tried to move abroad and ultimately came back to the UK or missed it and what it came down to most of the time was they were trying to live their UK life in a foreign country where it just doesn't work. You need to live like a local.

And yeah not speaking a local language can make you feel very lonely at first but it's up to you to take it on and get involved. Learning another language is also incredibly rewarding and probably the best skill you can have. :)

Best of luck OP

Soldato
Lots of good replies here but what the biggest difference for me was the cultural changes. I am a very open person but you really have to be the kind of person which just takes things as it goes and adapt as you learn.

I know several who tried to move abroad and ultimately came back to the UK or missed it and what it came down to most of the time was they were trying to live their UK life in a foreign country where it just doesn't work. You need to live like a local.

And yeah not speaking a local language can make you feel very lonely at first but it's up to you to take it on and get involved. Learning another language is also incredibly rewarding and probably the best skill you can have. :)

Best of luck OP

I agree.

I've been living here in Switzerland for two months and still trying to adapt but I am having no issues. Started taking German classes within a few weeks of moving here. I am finding the language hard but I am understanding it more better now compared to last year when doing a German course back in the UK.

You can live a UK life in a foreign country.....look at Tenerife. But its not the sort of place you go if you want to achieve better things in life, career wise anyway.

Soldato
Been in NZ for almost 2 years now, slipped into life here like a duck to water, had no issues whatsoever, as some of you know, I even opened my first restaurant here last year (before i secured permanent residency :o)

Back
Top Bottom