The day Earth had a near-miss with a 'city-killer' asteroid

Associate
OK nailed by a major heat wave and then almost having things end (possibly), so is somebody trying to tell us something. 'cause it aint funny... :(

"[If it hit Earth] it makes the bang of a very large nuclear weapon – a very large one."

How big?

"It would have hit with over 30 times the energy of the atomic blast at Hiroshima," says Swinburne University astronomer Associate Professor Alan Duffy.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...er-asteroid-this-morning-20190725-p52apn.html

Man of Honour
You know - going by events earlier in the year (basically simulations for just such an event) I'm not so sure it caught us as by surprise as they are making out and original calculations probably put it at a non-negligible chance of impact.

I do wonder if we'll ever get a swarm of them sometime rather than odd individual ones.

Last edited:
Associate
Reminds me of the film Armageddon, the thing could have been completely destroyed if they'd sent up Bruce Willis with a nuclear weapon.

Soldato
They failed to design build and operate an adequate asteroid detection and mitigation system :D

^ This

I doubt a creature with it's mouth bigger than it's brain would ever develop space travel, or any kind of asteroid detection

They are giant lizards......granted, they wouldn't have ruined the planet, developed weapons of mass destruction, nuclear weapons, poisons gas, filled it full of plastics etc etc.... so I give them that over stupid humans

Caporegime
Indeed. There were plans to film a Fallout movie there, but they would have blown the budget cleaning the place up to Wasteland standards.

I remember watching a video a couple of years back with a guy in a car videoing the place, some areas looked like they were straight out of Mad Max. Has some "good" areas but the bad areas seem REALLY bad. :eek:

Soldato
They failed to design build and operate an adequate asteroid detection and mitigation system :D
how do you know? I propose they build a very effective one and saw what was coming and left the planet in specially built spaceships. the ones left behind were disbelievers or thought dinogod would save them; there wasn't many, which is why fossils are few and far between.

Soldato
how do you know? I propose they build a very effective one and saw what was coming and left the planet in specially built spaceships. the ones left behind were disbelievers or thought dinogod would save them; there wasn't many, which is why fossils are few and far between.
Citation needed. Fake news. Alternative Facts.

The goddamn dinosaurs used a transporter beam, any fool know.

Back
Top Bottom