• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 3 help?

Soldato
OK, so I probably should have done more than a day's research into what I was buying, but hey ho I think I've screwed up.

So I've bought an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G CPU, and an ASUS Prime A320M-K motherboard, which due to the labelling I had presumed was compatible with what is labelled as a "2nd generation" AMD CPU, but now which looks like it's actually a 3rd generation.

The system will power on, but wont boot attempt or even post. It appears as though the BIOS will support this CPU but only after an update, but there's no way to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU, which I don't have.

Any bright ideas? I'm aware AMD does a 'ship me a low spec CPU' option, which I may have to fall back on, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears! :)

Soldato
OK, so I probably should have done more than a day's research into what I was buying, but hey ho I think I've screwed up.

So I've bought an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G CPU, and an ASUS Prime A320M-K motherboard, which due to the labelling I had presumed was compatible with what is labelled as a "2nd generation" AMD CPU, but now which looks like it's actually a 3rd generation.

The system will power on, but wont boot attempt or even post. It appears as though the BIOS will support this CPU but only after an update, but there's no way to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU, which I don't have.

Any bright ideas? I'm aware AMD does a 'ship me a low spec CPU' option, which I may have to fall back on, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears! :)

No 3200G is Zen+ not Zen 2 so you are fine.
Your motherboard got bios update on 10/5/2019 to work with 3200G, all motherboards made since got that bios.
Now if you bought from old stock made before May 2019, you have to get the AMD upgrade kit and you send it back to AMD as soon as you update the bios.
Unfortunately your board doesn't have fallback option, to flash a newer bios without CPU.

Associate
Buy an A6-9500 from cex for £15, use it to flash the bios (it may not work after the update but will be fine to update with - check your motherboard support page) and then sell it back to them for £7. Buy 2 ice creams and eat on the way home.

Ebay is at about £25 for this cpu, but your resale is higher too so net loss about the same, under a tenner.

Soldato
Or the even better and most sensible option, send back the horrid A320 motherboard, and instead of losing £15+ on a CPU 'loan' spend it on getting a better motherboard. :)

Soldato
OP
No 3200G is Zen+ not Zen 2 so you are fine.
Your motherboard got bios update on 10/5/2019 to work with 3200G, all motherboards made since got that bios.
Now if you bought from old stock made before May 2019, you have to get the AMD upgrade kit and you send it back to AMD as soon as you update the bios.
Unfortunately your board doesn't have fallback option, to flash a newer bios without CPU.

I'm presuming it's old stock then, because it doesn't even post with that CPU in place, although I'll re-seat everything and try it again shortly.

Or the even better and most sensible option, send back the horrid A320 motherboard, and instead of losing £15+ on a CPU 'loan' spend it on getting a better motherboard. :)

It's not for me personally, I just wanted a cheap MOBO for an old guy who basically only uses his PC for a bit of Office tasks and some light Photoshop work, he only needs a basic spec MicroATX board, nothing fancy.

Soldato
It's not for me personally, I just wanted a cheap MOBO for an old guy who basically only uses his PC for a bit of Office tasks and some light Photoshop work, he only needs a basic spec MicroATX board, nothing fancy.

Totally understand, and agree with the logic. The MSI B450 Gaming Plus can be had for as cheap as £71.99 which has a BIOS flashback button, meaning you can update it to the latest BIOS without a CPU or RAM installed. It can only be around £10 more than the board you already bought, and at least the money isn't being wasted on buying and then selling a CPU. :)

Associate
In your situation the above is fantastic advice (assuming the currently released beta is a solid one, there's no final bios for ryzen 3000 on that board yet). The limitations that board has will not affect your use case. Definitely better spending an extra £15 there instead of on a cpu to flash with if swapping the board is an option.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Send back the board (as its a horrible board anyway) and then buy a new one

Back
Top Bottom