• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Tbh with the lack of BIOS updates on Asus X470 boards to fix the many bugs, i'm seriously tempted to get a X570 from one of the other companies.
Just a shame that the X570's all have mobo fans. :(

Soldato
Haven't checked to see what is feasible yet :) but that is the job over the next week's.
Part of the fun is in the planning - enjoy your new project.

@tamzzy - even i had the urge to go ITX seeing those pics. Your limbic system must be doing cartwheels...

...all the way to your CC.

Soldato
Tbh with the lack of BIOS updates on Asus X470 boards to fix the many bugs, i'm seriously tempted to get a X570 from one of the other companies.
Do you need the x470 features - as the MSI B450 MAX will hopefully be on sale in late August/early September at ~£99 (from pre-orders).

32MB eeprom - and theoretically none of the issues of some of the present MSI B450s (a bit hit and miss). Although, MSI are now advising those who haven't successfully upgraded to now wait for the release of the MAX or for the present B450 BIOS to reach full maturity/resolve all issues.

Permabanned
as i said there is update that came out today I tested it and adviced Asus not to put it on main web site. It's terrible compared to 2501. I got Zeropo problems with 2501 Everything works but im on full manual setting :p

So what bugs do You see ?? I cant think of anything atm. besides c5 code when You mess up ram timings and you need CMOS clear to boot up.

Straight up I spent 2 weeks with x570 auros elite motherboard building mates pc. Emmmeeeee bios is still crap for me :D Firmware for windforce 2070super was crap was crashing on OC scaner. Installed msi afterburner No problems :D

if anything I'd buy ASRock x570 if i was after somethng else than asus. Thats my personal opinion :) maybe new MSI motherboards would sirvive longer than 5-6 months with me than 3 of x99 that died :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
From your posts - i wouldn't expect anything less - you must be lovin' it. Tweaking heaven... :D
o ye so farm i passed 160 hours of tweeking EASY :D Yesterday was testing impact of VDDG and VDDP on stability performance and temperatures 4 hours of reboots every 4 mnutes :)
not a singre reboot boot up memory trainign problem. CMOS clear and profile load every hour for settings REFRESH )
Atm Chiling (if its possible with this temperature) Running some Geekbench and bashing some noob on Ebay :D

Soldato
o ye so farm i passed 160 hours of tweeking EASY :D Yesterday was testing impact of VDDG and VDDP on stability performance and temperatures 4 hours of reboots every 4 mnutes :)
not a singre reboot boot up memory trainign problem. CMOS clear and profile load every hour for settings REFRESH )
Christ - if your computer had sentient thought it would probably fry its cores out to end the torment :D

Atm Chiling (if its possible with this temperature) Running some Geekbench and bashing some noob on Ebay :D
LOL - you gotta pass the time somehow while benching.

Soldato
Zen2 launched literally 3 weeks ago. :p

Next is Zen2+ then Zen3, so maybe 2021?
Zen2+ doesn't exist, Zen 3 is due in 2020 on what we assume will be called 7nm+. Might end up as 6nm depending on TSMC's marketing.

I struggled last night TBF
The air conditioner we installed in our home office is probably the best purchase I've made since moving in. It doesn't help with sleeping at night though due to the combination of our house being on 3 floors, the house having a really well insulated loft, and the fact that that heat rises. The last 3 nights have been difficult.

That's why you can't rely on them always going beyond rated speed.
BS. If I was trying to get to 3733 MT/s I'd agree, but I'm not. I'm trying literally anything above their rating. Due to system differences, tolerance variables, and degradation over time, there's no way that they would ship sticks that fall over when such a tiny speed bump or timing change is applied. I mean literally just changing from XMP to Ryzen DRAM Calculator SAFE timings causes instability, and some of those timings are looser than XMP!

At some point I'll play with the RAM on my wife's rig and then maybe I can swap the sticks over to see if a different board makes a difference or not. @Journey do you have a Ryzen Master screenshot showing the timings you're using with your dual rank kit?

The only other approach I can think of is to modify timings in batches and see which ones are breaking it, but even if I ca n tighten some timings a bit it's not gonna help me get anywhere near speeds that others seem to get with ease.

Last edited:
Soldato
Zen2+ doesn't exist, Zen 3 is due in 2020 on what we assume will be called 7nm+. Might end up as 6nm depending on TSMC's marketing.

6nm will be a separate thing from 7nm+: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1422...echnology-7-nm-with-higher-transistor-density

But from how I see it, it's really their 7nm process using bits from 7nm+ while keeping it compatible with 7nm designs. 7nm+ is still the better manufacturing node from TSMC which Zen 3 will be based on.

But yes, TSMC's naming scheme just makes it very confusing...

Associate
I wasn't joking :D If they just do a refresh with a bump in clocks from higher quality silicon (i.e. what's on Epyc at the moment), it'll almost certainly be enough of an upgrade on current Ryzen chips without any extra cost for them.
You hope for higher clocks, but all 7nm+ can offer is higher density and slightly lower power.

Soldato
You hope for higher clocks, but all 7nm+ can offer is higher density and slightly lower power.

I wouldn't be surprised if the decent silicon for Zen 2 can reach 4.8GHz comfortably, with the best able to hit 5GHz. We're just not seeing any of this silicon for desktop parts. If they go to Zen 3 for Epyc next year it'd make sense for them just to use the best Zen 2 silicon for Ryzen.

Soldato
Too bad i can't find any decent x99 boards, all i see is Chinese ones on eBay and not sure i want to even try it. If my current board didn't decide to screw up i wouldn't need to buy anything.. and it feels like a bit of an awkward spot for upgrading because i feel we're going to see even bigger perf boosts in the next 1-2 years.

Keep looking at 3600 then 3700x, what to do.. damn

Back
Top Bottom