HGV Drivers Report In!

Associate
Not a 'HGV Driver' but a HGV Technician. A couple of technicians off my shift have been sent away on CPC courses. I did a bit of research on whether or not we need one, as it's always been a bit of a grey area where we are concerned. Been on the DVSA website and we're still exempt (under certain conditions).

But there are rumours that as of next July the law is changing and if you have the licence to drive a HGV/Bus/Coach, then you will be required to have a CPC also. Any of you heard about this?

Soldato
Next year we should've left the EU so their requirement (which the DCPC is) and their limited speed should be irrelevant !

Our limited speed should be returning to 60mph and the joke DCPC scrapped.

HGVs would still require the limiter if they ever wanted to venture across the channel and deliver stuff in Europe. But there is the minor fact that the 56mph limiter is also part of UNECE regulations so the UK would also have to leave the UN as well (and I'm not sure we voted on that one).

Associate
Hi, another driver checking in.

Got my licenses through the military and put them to use while still serving making extra pennies on leave etc.
Now left the Army, and gone onto full time driving. I work for Magnus based in Gt Blakenham just outside Ipswich, although i run out of the Hadleigh yard on the Celotex contract. Celotex Hadleigh to Celotex eggborough and back.

I drive a 68 plate Volvo FH460 LNG, luckily got a choice of 2 refuel points on my route. Much prefer them to anything else i have driven, although the 19 plate Scania i used was pretty nice.

Associate
Hi
I have recently paid over £4200 with a company called easyashgv to be honest I think they are an absolute joke! I passed my theory and hazard perception with flying colours but they booked my cpc test for the same day and didn’t send me any info to study with it and now I have to rebook that as I failed the 50 question exam with 39 out of 50 only 1 out but I sort of blagged it anyway the theory I got 100 out of 100 and the hazard I got 92% I think.
I have my class 2 coming up on 19th with 4 days training. And then the test on 23rd I think. Easyashgv are absolutely useless and if I was to cancel with them and go with another company I would only receive £695 back! I also paid for class 1 to be back to back that’s why it was so hard to save and pay for! Just wanted some tips really on the cpc as I can’t get my head round the hours allowed to work and the taco things and any tips for the class 2 test would be great! Then if I pass that then class 1 tips would be great! I have my training in gillingham for class 2 and then my class 1 in purfleet so if anyone trained there it would be great to know how u got on!

Associate
The "big" HGV training companies I wouldn't touch with a barge pole if I'm honest, you would be much better off going to a local training company with a more personal touch. I know in your situation it's a bit too late for that unfortunately.

What part of the driving/working hours regs is that you are struggling with specifically?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hours-goods-vehicles

if you give that a bit of a read through, it should help cover most of the basics. It can be mind boggling at first, but you will soon get to grips with it.

Associate
The "big" HGV training companies I wouldn't touch with a barge pole if I'm honest, you would be much better off going to a local training company with a more personal touch. I know in your situation it's a bit too late for that unfortunately.

What part of the driving/working hours regs is that you are struggling with specifically?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hours-goods-vehicles

if you give that a bit of a read through, it should help cover most of the basics. It can be mind boggling at first, but you will soon get to grips with it.

Thanks mate I will give that all a read through. It’s mainly how many hours I can drive for I know it’s a 45 min break every 4 and half hours but the case studies were asking about combined hours over the week and night work and then 2 man crews and if one leaves there card at home and being picked up an hour away from the starting point and it all just completely baffled my head.

Yes if I had of searched around more I would have gone local it was something I see he’d online then they were calling me every day and then they rang and offered me back to back courses of C then C+E for just under £3000 and I thought it was a good deal but then it was £200 for online revision which to be honest I can’t fault as it did get me through my theory then there was the initial CPC which was about £390. Then I decided to get pass protection which was another £350 and then with all the VAT on top it came to about £4285 I think.
I just can’t wait to get it all done as I paid for it all about 10 weeks ago and they have just taken so long.
Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom