Rift CV1 to Rift s ?

Soldato
That defeats the issue of spending absolutely zero and continuing with my current CV1 with superior audio quality, if I'm gonna make an upgrade, I'm reluctant to have to make effort on my own part when you're talking about £400 odd.

Just curious, are you using a two or three sensor setup?

Soldato
Using 3 sensors, made a big difference.

Ok, so you spent money to get a better experience with the Original Rift. How is that different than spending money to improve the Rift S experience? It's only a £16 upgrade which is much cheaper than a sensor was for the original Rift.

The thing is, you might not even need to do the mod, you might find the audio perfectly fine. It seems to depend a lot on the how the headset fits the user's head. The lower you can wear the strap, the closer to your ears the speakers are and the better the audio. The positional queues are much better with the Rift S than the Rift. But the Rift S is lacking in the bass department.

Just other info, the tracking on the Rift S is about as good as a three sensor setup on the Rift. Not as good as a four sensor setup. (I had a 4 sensor setup)

Soldato
Yeah found the 3 sensors are great and make a big difference in standing games, but I mainly play sim racers now, so the 2 are fine for that.

I have a 4 sensor Rift setup and the Rift S. If you are only playing Sim games, the Rift S would be a massive upgrade for you. The Reverb would be as well, but, that's a lot more expensive. You should try a Rift S out if you have a chance.

Associate
I have a 4 sensor Rift setup and the Rift S. If you are only playing Sim games, the Rift S would be a massive upgrade for you. The Reverb would be as well, but, that's a lot more expensive. You should try a Rift S out if you have a chance.
Thanks for the info Melmac, I am pulling the trigger on a Rift S when I get back from offshore.

Associate
Ok, so you spent money to get a better experience with the Original Rift. How is that different than spending money to improve the Rift S experience? It's only a £16 upgrade which is much cheaper than a sensor was for the original Rift.

The thing is, you might not even need to do the mod, you might find the audio perfectly fine. It seems to depend a lot on the how the headset fits the user's head. The lower you can wear the strap, the closer to your ears the speakers are and the better the audio. The positional queues are much better with the Rift S than the Rift. But the Rift S is lacking in the bass department.

Just other info, the tracking on the Rift S is about as good as a three sensor setup on the Rift. Not as good as a four sensor setup. (I had a 4 sensor setup)

Yeah but there's also the immense hassle of selling my current Rift, then spending the extra to buy a Rift S, then spending time and money to sort the audio. It's just not for me.

Soldato
Yeah but there's also the immense hassle of selling my current Rift, then spending the extra to buy a Rift S, then spending time and money to sort the audio. It's just not for me.

So what you are really saying is that you weren't going to upgrade no matter what :p Because no matter what headset is released you are going to have to go through the immense hassle of selling your current Rift. I would actually argue that you will never sell your Rift as easy as right now, when the next headsets are released, there will be very few people looking for an OG Rift.

And you might not even need to sort the audio? Do you also realise that there is a headphone jack in the side of the Rift S? You don't have to run wires back to your computer. So any headphones you have around might work as long as they fit over the headband.

Anyway, I am just letting you know that the Rift S is worth the upgrade. It's a much better headset even with the audio difference.

Soldato

my audio solution for now...
https://preview.redd.it/45ra75ys1cc...bp&s=c9b1e1a895378dce4b45d5d411227cbdf7b9f242

old headphones
£1 velcro zipties.

yeah i think if u dont use vr much, dont bother but if you are a big VR fan, i'd upgrade. its nice to get rid of the sensors too and the cv1 is only losing value now that rift s tracking is improving. a vive will hold value due to the base stations but a cv1 is legacy hardware now on a dead platform. its like an intel vr headset.

i think if ur putting up with sensors, then u might as well lighthouse + wireless vive pro or index at this point.

Soldato
Anyone by chance moved from the CV1 to the S that plays Elite Dangerous ? I loved ED on the CV1 but it was aliasing jaggie hell.

I will try it this weekend, I just moved to the S from a CV1 but not tried ED yet.

One thing I have noticed so far, with the S you don't need to add SS which obviously also improves performance and would also reduce the GFX hardware requirements.

Back
Top Bottom