What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Bad Times At The El Royale

Weird, but strangely gripping, I certainly wanted to find out what the deal was, and was pleasantly suprised a number of times.

Could do with less singing from the singer though, that was meh.

7/10

Ahh, thanks for reminding me about this one, I had wanted to see it when it was released

Soldato
Sicario 2 - Loved the original film, one of my favorites of the last few years. This as I imagined it might be is poor in comparison and adds nothing. The look of it and set pieces were excellent, very consistent with the original. Acting was fine but the overall story arch is a real letdown compared to the original which managed to create a creeping dread verging on a horror film. The story in this film is contrived, didn't feel complete at all and the ending was hugely odd and unsatisfying. 5 / 10

Sicario is already a modern classic and any follow up was going to pale in comparison, especially without DV in the directors seat. However I was so hungry for more story after the first movie, I did enjoy it more than expected. I'd give it a 7/10 but that's mainly for Del Toro.

Soldato
... Why make decent films when you can turn out tosh and get a 100% return on investment.

Probably why there is so much tosh about; so many garbage films make money.

The Predator is crap and made double its budget. Hellboy (2019) is crap and flopped, making less than its $50m budget. Maybe the difference there is that more people know what Predator is and few know what Hellboy is.

Transformers is popular. Michael Bay could have made Transformers films until the cows came home, with each being worse than the last. People would pay to see them regardless and they'd keep on making a pile of cash. I'm kind of surprised that isn't what happened. I'm glad it didn't though; as a Transformers fan, I was fed up of the crap he kept putting out.

Soldato
"Hunter Killer". Not at all bad actually. My wife and I really enjoyed it and it kept us engaged throughout. Good work by all the leads (once I got past the idea of a Scot being captain of a US Navy sub :)).

Associate
The Current War (2019) - 4/10

A bit boring at times, as although the characters are supposed to be great visionaries and inventors, they all seemed a bit dull.

There is some good acting from the starry cast, but the delivery of the story lacks the spark and sizzle of a good tale.

The pacing is a bit slow, and although the period effects looked good, the stylized camera shots felt unnecessary and were distracting.

Soldato
Managed to catch a screening of Godzilla: King of the Monsters 7/10 better then I expected.

What you would expect from a Godzilla movie, Action and big monsters fighting.

I was more interested in the little Easter eggs, Like the dr who said shes a 3rd gern monarch agent and show a photo
(all females all twins)

Ghidorah has always been one of my favorite out of all of the monster and Im glad they did not disappoint with the look of it.
I dont know why but every time I saw Godzilla walking I would imagine Brock Lesnar walking to a ring (must be the neck).
I also kept imagining the plays eleven in stranger things would use psychic ability next in the Ghidorah scene.

They show a lot of monsters but I dont know why they dont show Kong, im sure if all the others monsters are moving so would kong, I would assume kong is also a alpha and would assume it would come to stop Ghidorah

I just cant see how they will get Godzilla vs Kong to work unless its a prequel .

Soldato
With him being an ape, I assume Kong can't swim and is therefore stuck on Skull Island!
Maybe but he wont be much of a king if he's a prisoner on his own island but I assume something else must have up on skull island which kept him busy, I feel he is more like a warden keeping all the prisoner in on skull island.

either way so far all three movies have been good, skull island was the best IMO.
Im really looking forward to the next one but im not sure what they would do after that, I wold like to see some more new monsters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bird Box on Netflix. Finally got round to this and quite enjoyed it, nothing really special but I am a sucker for dystopian/post apocalyptic films. 3/5

Soldato
more bad movies:
Hellboy (new one) - 5/10. not awful but boring and pointless
Poultrygeist - 0/10 - i hate troma movies but my friends like them. I find them childish garbage.
Hobo with a shotgun - 3/10 - some good bits but all over the place and really cheap and stupid.
Howard the duck - 2/10 - boring and way too long.

Soldato
Avengers end game.... Infinity war was better imo.

Endgame was an okay to good movie, I honestly have had more enjoyment from the guardians of galaxy films.

The action scenes were average I felt, also could have cut quite abit from it I felt as seemed long for the sake of it.

7/10

Soldato
CHiPs. Only because I listen to Dax Shepard's podcast, so thought I should check out the movie that killed his writer-directing career. It was really, really bad. Some fairly decent car/bike chase scenes but little else positive. Deserved to flop.

Back
Top Bottom