My dog

Associate
A few have mentioned already - but try raw meat...

Our greyhound eats around 1200g of raw meat with bones per day, and it's done wonders for him since ditching the kibble & tinned tripe he was eating when we got him. he gets a mixture of stuff everyday with a little bit of coconut oil, and sometimes sardines. Tinned / fresh pumpkin can be useful to have on hand too to either soften or harden the poops.

We buy from the local butcher and it's pretty cheap as most of it is offcuts. lamb ribs are a favourite, as well as ox tongue and heart. it's always fresh and doesn't smell much different than what we may eat. we have had 'pet mince' before which isn't much cheaper than actual cuts of meat, and you're back to the same problem of not knowing exactly what's in it and your dog just eating slop.

-no farts
-no bad breath
-much easier to pick up after (small, hard scats instead of orange shaving foam)
-teeth are keeping clean and white
-no smelly tins
-coat is shiny

our dog-walker's 2 labs are on a full raw diet too, one is getting on a bit as well.

Agree totally..

I have had 4 German Shepherds over the years, each on expensive dried food, each suffered with tummy upsets, bad breath, poor teeth and it was complete trial and error to find a dry food that they would eat and that didn’t set off a bout of tummy upsets. I’ve used many of the brands mentioned in this thread, some that others have sworn by were awful for our dogs

When our last one passed away 6 years ago my daughter brought a GSD and after chatting with us and hours of research she decided to go the route of a raw food diet and 6 years on I know 100% for sure, if I were to get another dog he’d be straight onto this diet.

His teeth are perfect, his breathe is fine, no problem with weight, good coat and like you say, picking up his toilet they are like hard rocks and the size of what you’d expect from a dog half his size.

Those believing Royal Canine, Hills or any of the other top brands is the way to go and those claiming to use food that claims to use human grade in their dog food, you need to do some serious googling. Vets are paid to promote certain brands and it shows...

My daughter buys the ready prepared raw meat in tubs, she too adds some sardines or tuna.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom