PSU lifespan?

Associate
I currently am having a problem. Perhaps now ignore my posts above. I have an overclocked FX8350 (4.0 to 4.4 ghz) bundle (Gigabyte ultra durable mobo) from OcUK Dec2015. I bought a new Kolink Bronze 600W PSU to go with it https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...us-bronze-modular-power-supply-ca-02d-kk.html

So it is 3.5 years old now. I am now having boot problems unless I take the OC off. What is it likely to be and how do I check? Is it more likely to be the PSU rather than the mobo? Presumably the CPU doesn't burn out this easily as it is just a piece of silicon. Do I simply check by hooking it up to another PSU?

I have replaced this 600w Kolink bronze with a 750W EVGA gold and now my computer boots fine etc. Therefore this kolink has only lasted 3.5yrs!

Soldato
I had an Enermax PSU which was about 9 years old and I was aware that the age of it, regardless of brand, was something I had to address. It was working perfectly fine, until I gave it to somebody - it popped as soon as they flecked the switch. :eek::D

Maybe I dislodged some dust while I was cleaning it out before handing it over, which then shorted somewhere that I couldn't see. But they've never asked for my seconds again. :o

Associate
I had an Enermax PSU which was about 9 years old and I was aware that the age of it, regardless of brand, was something I had to address. It was working perfectly fine, until I gave it to somebody - it popped as soon as they flecked the switch. :eek::D

Maybe I dislodged some dust while I was cleaning it out before handing it over, which then shorted somewhere that I couldn't see. But they've never asked for my seconds again. :o
Dislodging dust sounds totally possible and likely.

Associate
My 850W Corsair HX Series 80PLUS Silver is just over 7 years old.

I just need the system to hold out for a few more months as I'm gonna do my first new system in a looooong time, I made my current one in 2012 :D

Associate
I have a 3 year old superflower 1000w platinum PSU. How long should you keep a PSU for, what's the first signs that a PSU is dieing?

Nothing wrong with mine but I would like to save some money on a new build next year by not getting an expensive PSU.

I've also got a superflower 1000w platinum psu. Just gone through my order history and I bought it in October 2013. :O Didn't think it was that long ago. Still going strong and powering my new setup. Probably not being pushed much given I switched back to single card setups a few years ago. Believe it had a long warranty (7 years springs to mind?) but will have to check on that.

Interestingly I bought an AMD 7970 and an OCZ Vortex 2E "bigfoot" ssd at the same time. The 7970 ended up being used in a friends pc a few years ago (think his kid still uses it), but the SSD is still chugging along, allbeit a bit slower than todays models. :)

Associate
I've got a NAS box I've setup and been constantly on for the last year. The Corsair CX 400w psu in it had been used in a few other things - and now system has started switching off on it's own for no apparant reason. Suspect the psu is failing. Had a further hunt through order history and I bought it in february 2010, so it's had a long life for a basic psu. :)

Just ordered a new superflower modular one to replace it.

Got an FSP 750w (possibly 700w?) psu I bought for a lot of money from a local retailer at the time as I needed one in a hurry. Probably 10 years+ ago, and still working - although has seen very light use last few years, and it's multiple 12v rails actually meant it wouldn't supply enough power to later GPU's. Nice shade of blue though. :)

Edit: Going scenile in my old age. :D The fsp went a couple of years ago, it's a Corsair HX 750w I still have from late 2009.

I believe it's a case of either use it until it fails, or the warranty runs out. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
The efficiency rating doesn't necessarily indicate the overall quality of the circuitry, however Superflower are well known as being among the best in the business for their PSU internals, along with Seasonic.
not all of them though best to check reviews and see what the actual internals are when buying a psu and not trust brand name alone

Associate
I've got a NAS box I've setup and been constantly on for the last year. The Corsair CX 400w psu in it had been used in a few other things - and now system has started switching off on it's own for no apparant reason. Suspect the psu is failing. Had a further hunt through order history and I bought it in february 2010, so it's had a long life for a basic psu. :)

Just ordered a new superflower modular one to replace it.

Well, turns out it's not the psu, since board keeps on switching off with new one as well. Went to bare bones and still the same - so looks like a board fault after all. :( Found a psu tester gadget and used it on the 400w and it seems to test fine, although it doesn't measure ripple etc just voltage and power good level.

Back
Top Bottom