How many years to enlarge the Royal Navy

Soldato
For an island nation like us to have 19 major surface vessels is mental, realistically you can only expect 30% to be available at any one time. We should have upwards of 30 ships with enough to surge 2 well protected carrier groups if we have to

Man of Honour
Russia has been on the build these past few years, the rust buckets of the Soviet era are giving way to new classes of frigates, corvettes and submarines. It’d be a mistake to underestimate the Russian Navy IMO.

As things stand they couldn't keep their navy supplied, etc. for any significant naval campaign over probably 90% of the globe. China is one that needs watching though in that respect.

One of the few things Russia fears (I don't mean in terms of trembling but more something that gives them pause for consideration) about us is our ability to wage war well outside of our borders and how rapidly we can deploy - something that sadly is being slowly eroded and/or less value seen in it as time goes by. In some respects it is a bigger factor than our nuclear weapons in how they regard us.

Soldato
Russia has been on the build these past few years, the rust buckets of the Soviet era are giving way to new classes of frigates, corvettes and submarines. It’d be a mistake to underestimate the Russian Navy IMO.

The Russian Navy is a joke! Russia have one carrier, a rusting, smokey piece of junk that has to be trailed everywhere by it's own dedicated tug because it keeps on breaking down. Well I say 'have' but they dropped a ******* great crane on it and wrecked the carrier beyond repair, because in the process of wrecking the carrier they also wrecked the only dock capable of berthing it to carry out said repairs. So yeah, there's Russia.

Caporegime
Britain needs to sit back and recover internally for the next 25 years. Stop wasting billions on an offensive military.

The UK can never compete with China or India maybe even an EU military and they will be calling the shots by then.

It's time to turtle up and divert money to civil projects.

Man of Honour
Britain needs to sit back and recover internally for the next 25 years. Stop wasting billions on an offensive military.

The UK can never compete with China or India maybe even an EU military and they will be calling the shots by then.

We still have too many overseas territories and dependencies really to do that also other factors the level of military experience we have gives us an edge over ostensibly numerically stronger militarys which would be lost and very hard to regain and would also see our clout on the world stage further eroded with the result our GDP would normalize closer to what a country like ours would normally command ergo a big hit to quality of life for most - more than offsetting the redirection of military budget.

Soldato
The Russian Navy is a joke! Russia have one carrier, a rusting, smokey piece of junk that has to be trailed everywhere by it's own dedicated tug because it keeps on breaking down. Well I say 'have' but they dropped a ******* great crane on it and wrecked the carrier beyond repair, because in the process of wrecking the carrier they also wrecked the only dock capable of berthing it to carry out said repairs. So yeah, there's Russia.

I mean by no means do I count myself as an expert, but carriers aren’t everything, and I think if it does kick off between the West and Russia, subs are going to be critical, and the newer classes coming out of Russia, like Yassen seem pretty damn capable to me. Granted, our Astute class are also pretty damn good, but we’re only buying 7 of those, and how many can we keep at sea at once?

This is all just my opinion of course.

Soldato

Nope. We need to protect our interests around the world as recent events have shown, we need a bigger navy.

Soldato
The future seems to be smaller, faster and more numerous boats. I don't think we'll see anything as big as the Type-45s again (except for carriers, which will move to drone tech eventually).

As the UK is an island we don't need a massive force, it's much easier to defend it than it is to invade it. But the navy is very important. China and Russia have huge land forces, but against the UK it's all useless unless they can take the coast.

Soldato
It’s not just a matter of building equipment, the navy are already working overtime to recruit people, at least in to technical roles, and they aren’t doing as well as they want to.

They don't do a good enough job of attracting top talent who have already built up a skill set. Pay and targeting jobs for experienced people.

As we are a IT forum, this is the pay for a network engineer in the army:

"Earn £15,230 during training. When your Initial training is finished, and you join your unit as a Signaller your pay will rise to £18,859."

The job description sounds very cabling centric, however it pays less then 1st line helpdesk at my place and our cabling guys make double that with a little overtime.

Caporegime
The future seems to be smaller, faster and more numerous boats. I don't think we'll see anything as big as the Type-45s again (except for carriers, which will move to drone tech eventually).

As the UK is an island we don't need a massive force, it's much easier to defend it than it is to invade it. But the navy is very important. China and Russia have huge land forces, but against the UK it's all useless unless they can take the coast.

They dont need to take the country to win, we aren't self sufficient, it's always about resource control and we're powerless to stop them, for all intents and purposes, Africa is their's.

Soldato
They dont need to take the country to win, we aren't self sufficient, it's always about resource control and we're powerless to stop them, for all intents and purposes, Africa is their's.

And how do you think we defend our supply chain?

If China are in a position to mount a ground invasion of the UK then lol..... Nothing is going to save little blighty. This isn't ww2.

Sure if they are first going to first take France and then swim across the channel.

Caporegime
And how do you think we defend our supply chain?

When that supply is controlled by someone, you've lost, the only difference nowadays is that there's a frail sense of needing a customer.

It certainly plays out in trade, investment and political power over such a country, it's strange that we've done the square root of nothing with regards to Hong Kong after promising them some veil of protection, why is that i wonder?

Why are we willing to go against our closest ally over something as simple as 5G?

The tactical power of holding that supply might mean nothing at moment, but we're being reamed as it is.

Soldato
We didn't offer protection to Hong Kong, there was an agreement made with China to preserve their rights. But China has just ignored it.

Caporegime
We didn't offer protection to Hong Kong, there was an agreement made with China to preserve their rights. But China has just ignored it.

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/05/...romises-hong-kong-a-tight-check-on-china.html

"Britain's commitment to Hong Kong will continue well beyond the summer of 1997," he told a gathering of British and Hong Kong business people this afternoon. "That is both our moral responsibility and overwhelmingly in our own self interest."

Against this tapestry of doubts and concerns, Mr. Major delivered his small package of incentives intended, he declared, "to provide reassurance to you, the people of Hong Kong, about Britain's active interest in your future."

"Hong Kong," he said, "will never have to walk alone."

For the first time, he warned China that Britain would aggressively confront violations of the Joint Declaration, the treaty that sets forth the terms of China's resumption of sovereignty over Hong Kong. "If there were any suggestion of a breach of the Joint Declaration, we would have a duty to pursue every legal and other avenue available to us," said Mr. Major. Later, however, he refused to say whether those avenues included representations before the International Court of Justice or before the United Nations, where the treaty is registered.

Mhm, a country with power would have made right this promise.

Back
Top Bottom