Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Just upgraded to Ultimate Oomph with its M500 broadband and although a couple of speed tests on different sites have hit 550/35 its mostly 220 - 350 Mbps as per the speed test below, presumably due to over contention:

yn3mGiA.jpg

This is in wired connection in modem and non modem modes and all power/noise levels are good.

I upgraded mostly for the extra upload speed, SIM (to use in 4G backup modem) and Sky F1 HD. However it appears the contention issue that used to badly limit our 200Mbps package a couple of years ago until it was fixed is still there, it just takes a faster connection to show the the new level.

If this continues I will be complaining...
Have you tried various speed sites?

Also what about downloading from a known fast server to check your download speeds?

Associate
Have you tried various speed sites?

Also what about downloading from a known fast server to check your download speeds?

Yes tried many speed test sites (with various connection counts) and also downloading from hosted servers I manage and know have an excellent internet connection.

Soldato
Anyone got any good deals for BB only? I don't fancy paying their £42 a month for my existing phone + 100Mb BB introductory offer ends next month.

Soldato
Are Virgin's WAN IPs still really sticky?

Half thinking of going back to them but would miss my static IP. If they are as sticky as they used to be (I'm sure I had the same IP for months on end) it wouldn't be too bad.

Soldato
Virgins IP's tend to be sticky to the MAC address they bind to. Switching between Modem and Router is a way of getting a new IP. If you were underhand you'd fudge a new MAC address onto your WAN port to grab a new IP.

@bremen1874 the easy answer is DDNS and if that's too obscure use a domain you own CNAME'd to the DDNS.
mydomain.com CNAME > ddns.provider.net > W.A.N.IP

Soldato
Thanks all. I think that we've established that Virgin's IP addresses are still nice and sticky.

I've got to decide if I can put up with Virgin as a provider. I'd only really want broadband, and maybe phone, from them. Unfortunately, their pricing only really makes sense if you take their TV as well. Them finally starting to increase their upload speeds is making it a more viable option.

Soldato
Can that be done switching between the superhub internal Modem and Router or do you mean switching to modem mode with a separate router?
If that made any sense? :)

IP's are handed off via DHCP and tend to stick the the MAC address they find. VM Hub router is "a" mac but if you flick it into modem mode then your asus/ubnt/mikrotik/generic router becomes "a" mac requesting an IP, you could keep changing routers to get different IP's or keep changing the MAC address on your interface (spoofing) to get differing IP's.

Soldato
Another price rise for me too. Been with them for almost 6 years and haven't done anything regarding trying to change packages.

If I were to sign up as a new customer I could get pretty much the same as I have now for £29 (first 12 months) then £59 a month.

Currently paying £69 (with new increase) for 'Fun TV', 150mb and talk weekends.

Feeling like I should be getting a better deal based on their current offerings, and what BT and SKY can offer. I would play the 'I'm leaving' card, but can't be assed to actually switch.

Any tips?

Soldato
Another price rise for me too. Been with them for almost 6 years and haven't done anything regarding trying to change packages.

If I were to sign up as a new customer I could get pretty much the same as I have now for £29 (first 12 months) then £59 a month.

Currently paying £69 (with new increase) for 'Fun TV', 150mb and talk weekends.

Feeling like I should be getting a better deal based on their current offerings, and what BT and SKY can offer. I would play the 'I'm leaving' card, but can't be assed to actually switch.

Any tips?

Tell them you're leaving and don't leave then. Retention call number 2 will likely give you the discount you want.

Back
Top Bottom