• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Since new consoles in 2020 will cost ~£400, would it be a poor choice to spend £500 on just a GPU?

Associate
OP
Apparently, the Xbox 2 will have a superior GPU to the Playstation 5, that will be based on RDNA 'next-gen' architecture and use the 7nm+ lithography. The GPU will also support ray tracing. If true, it looks like Microsoft got the better deal.

But the PS5 will be stuck with a custom 7nm Navi GPU. I wouldn't be suprised if the Xbox 2 ended up with a higher price as a result.

Link:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-P...ffering-generations-of-AMD-GPUs.423928.0.html

Last edited:
Associate
Next gen consoles are all AMD, right? If they rock up supporting mouse, keyboard and freesync then I might drop PC gaming altogether. Otherwise the power and versatility of the PC wins it for me.

Associate
I think I'm done with upgrading my pc now. The consoles have become so powerful the pc isn't really needed for traditional gaming and now VR is performing well there is no need for anything more powerful than my RTX2080.

Soldato
I think Nvidia is doomed. They have so overpriced the GPU market it’s put people right off. I think PC gaming in general is going to slow down after the PS5 an Xbox 2 release. I don’t think PC gaming will go away but it will slow down considerably from where it is today. it’s all down to greedy companies like Nvidia and retailers that overcharge. I think people are just getting sick of it now

Soldato
I think I'm done with upgrading my pc now. The consoles have become so powerful the pc isn't really needed for traditional gaming and now VR is performing well there is no need for anything more powerful than my RTX2080.

Consoles will still get superseded by PC hardware 6 to 12 months after release and get worse over time.
Like how an og PS4 is stuck on 1080p 30fps - OG PS5 could be stuck on 4k 30/60fps while after a few years PC's are doing 8k 60fps+

Personally I just want 4k 120hz, which I doubt the PS5 will do, so it's PC for me going forward anyway.

I don't care about mods and I'm happy to play with a controller instead of a mouse - but I don't like less than 60fps and 120fps is preferred

Soldato
I think Nvidia is doomed. They have so overpriced the GPU market it’s put people right off. I think PC gaming in general is going to slow down after the PS5 an Xbox 2 release. I don’t think PC gaming will go away but it will slow down considerably from where it is today. it’s all down to greedy companies like Nvidia and retailers that overcharge. I think people are just getting sick of it now

Look at it another way. Its a market. No one wants it to go away. So the inverse is also likely. Perhaps prices will actually drop substantially (once consoles are out) and prices will again rise as tech moves forward again.

Associate
OP
Look at it another way. Its a market. No one wants it to go away. So the inverse is also likely. Perhaps prices will actually drop substantially (once consoles are out) and prices will again rise as tech moves forward again.

Yeah, I would expect Desktop GPU prices to drop £50-100 within 1-2 months of the new console launches. Especially if consoles offer similar GPU performance to Nvidia's high end cards.

On the other hand, prices can sometimes be quite stubborn near to Christmas.

Last edited:
Soldato
Next gen consoles are all AMD, right? If they rock up supporting mouse, keyboard and freesync then I might drop PC gaming altogether. Otherwise the power and versatility of the PC wins it for me.

It is swings and roundabouts every so often new consoles are released that give a gaming experience on a par or even bettering PC gaming in some instances and then a new GPU and/or CPU comes out and the PC pulls ahead again. The Xbox and PS4 are getting long in the tooth its inevitable new consoles come out Sony and MS will expect these to last for quite a while maybe 10 years so whilst their hardware stand still the PC hardware keeps on rolling along. They've all but killed off Nintendo's challenge albeit with the Switch providing some success but that was more down to being able to take the same console "on the road" and play the same games away from home.

The doom sayers with the PC Gaming is dead malarkey. I've lost count the number of times its died and its still here. At the moment its arguable been the strongest its ever been. After all majority of pro world cup players of Fortnite were PC gamers.

Soldato
A r290 offers better experience than a ps4 and is around the same time the console was out. Paired that with an Intel CPU from that time and you have PC that has offered better performance for the entire life of that console and perhaps beyond.

We don't know what the new consoles will offer, but is not like video games have reached photo realism. Best part will be that the weakest link won't be the same old under powered hardware (even at launch) from 6 years ago, so fingers crossed gameplay and world interaction will take a step in the right direction.

bru

bru

Soldato
The way some people seem to be going on , you would think that discrete GPU'S will be a thing of the past once the new consoles are released.
Come on people these things are going to be powered by APU's yes they will be the most powerful APU'S used in anything to date but thy will still be APU's. They will not be more powerful than discrete cards that can potentially run at nearly twice the power intake.

And for gods sake stop looking at the amount of TFLOPS a card is theoretically capable of. Look back at history to see that TFLOPS is not a good indicator of actual performance.

/rant.

Associate
The Xbox and PS4 are getting long in the tooth its inevitable new consoles come out Sony and MS will expect these to last for quite a while maybe 10 years so whilst their hardware stand still the PC hardware keeps on rolling along.

I think it was said that Microsoft wants to end the whole console generations thing and just do incremental upgrades moving forward.

Soldato
I think it was said that Microsoft wants to end the whole console generations thing and just do incremental upgrades moving forward.

That's fine they are adopting what they do with Win 10 except that is free upgrades via Windows Updates can't see them doing it with Xbox and it annoys the consumer just like Nvidia have done with the 2xxx series and before. I can't see Sony doing the same.

Back
Top Bottom