How do I fix noisy PS4 ?

Soldato
On my pro I replaced the paste and the pads and it made a big difference. Still quite noisy in places (Map screen in God of War!), but much better than it was.

My daughter has a 1st gen ps4, which was incredibly noisy. Replacing the paste and pads made little difference. So I bought a nidec fan to replace the delta fan and you can hardly hear it now.

Just my experience, YMMV :)
That's one of the times I've noticed it too lol. I'm not sure which version I've got, although it's a few years old. Is it designed to be taken apart though it will it cause issues? I like the guys idea above for changing the fan, maybe a combination of that and paste will solve it.

Associate
That's one of the times I've noticed it too lol. I'm not sure which version I've got, although it's a few years old. Is it designed to be taken apart though it will it cause issues? I like the guys idea above for changing the fan, maybe a combination of that and paste will solve it.

Look for the CUH- number on the unit itself (or box if you still have it), that's your version. When sourcing a nidec fan (Do not get a delta!), make sure it fits your ps4, iirc the fan fittings change between ps4 revisions. When I was looking they were quite hard to find; Ebay is your best best, most likely a second hand one. Easy to replace but does involve a full stripdown so you'll need to do the paste anyway. Also, you'll probably find the thermal pads are very poorly fitted so either replace or refit them properly.

Oh, and as someone above mentioned, if it's an original ps4, be careful with the eject mechanism, it's got a really badly designed (imo) contact between base and cover.

Do your research, take your time and Good luck :)

Soldato
My PS4 was getting ridiculous to the point I used to just turn it off. I opened it up and give it a good clean, though after 3-4 years it was surprisingly free of dust (we don't have pets or carpets which I think helps) Even so the PS4 is now whisper quiet for the last 3 months. So it doesn't take much dust to make that fan ramp up.

Soldato
I've done all of the above minus switching the thermal pads over, but I did do something else which was a little drastic...

I'm sure plenty will say that it stops the airflow across other components within the case, and that if it was meant to be there they would have done that in the first place but for me, it has made a huge noticeable difference with no currently obvious side affects. I can't dispute that I may have problems further down the line but for now it's working like a gem and hugely reduced noise levels as it gets lots of fresh air through the cooler.

Soldato
I had the same thing. Replaced the thermal paste with thermal grizzly and it did make a difference, but nothing mind blowing. I took it apart again and replaced the thermal pads with thermal grizzly ones though, and it's night and day from what it used to be. Honestly sounds like a brand new console. Give that a try!

Arctic Silver 5 on the processor(s) and thermal grizzly pads on all the RAM - and mine still sounds mental this time of year; not too bad in the colder months though.

I haz 4090!
Don
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I changed my Delta fan for a Nidec, also made a huge difference. Delta fans in general have that high-pitched whine.

V F

V F

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom