Upgrade from my X34 without remortage

Soldato
I've had my Acer X34 since they day they first came out, some years ago now, it overclocked well to 100hz the IPS glow is a more than I'd like but I've put up with it fine.

Now I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket I'm wanting to change the by far oldest item in my setup. I see a few gems on the horizon but there all £2k+ which although I'm a late 2018 OLED LG owner I can't get my head round spending the same sorta cash on a monitor.

Is there anything out there which would be a worth while upgrade from mine for up to £1200/1400? I see there's 120hz monitors out there and I want to stay UW if I can but 20hz doesn't seem worthwhile unless there's something I'm missing?

Soldato
No, is the short answer. I'm in the same boat. I think my next monitor is going to be one of the 43" 4k panels, depending how good the HDR is. I'd much rather stick to Ultrawide - but there's no worthwhile upgrade in that aspect ratio without forking out 2.5k :/

Man of Honour
No, is the short answer. I'm in the same boat. I think my next monitor is going to be one of the 43" 4k panels, depending how good the HDR is. I'd much rather stick to Ultrawide - but there's no worthwhile upgrade in that aspect ratio without forking out 2.5k :/

I had a look at the current 43" monitors but didn't find them inspiring - most had one kind of issue or another that was off putting like the edges of the screen being dim or cut off, some have high input/processing latency and others just terrible quality control and so on. Also most used BGR layout instead of RGB which causes some issues with text rendering.

Soldato
I had a look at the current 43" monitors but didn't find them inspiring - most had one kind of issue or another that was off putting like the edges of the screen being dim or cut off, some have high input/processing latency and others just terrible quality control and so on. Also most used BGR layout instead of RGB which causes some issues with text rendering.

Yeah? Bugger. I'll probably be on my XR34 for another 4 years at this rate :D

Caporegime
The 43"/144hz panels coming are attractive to me BUT I'd prob create a custom UW res for gaming :)

The LG I have is a cracker and a def upgrade to the X34, but I'm a little biased :D

Soldato
Is there anything out there which would be a worth while upgrade from mine for up to £1200/1400? I see there's 120hz monitors out there and I want to stay UW if I can but 20hz doesn't seem worthwhile unless there's something I'm missing?

There's the Acer Nitro 4K and the Samsung 32:9 monitor:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,058.18 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Caporegime
The LG is the one I really want as well, but I'm betting it's going to be £2200, I suppose it will last me for the next 4/5 years like this one has.

In your shoes I'd say the only 'wow' upgrade would be the 38" LG, anything less is more of an upper side-grade. Worth saving a little longer for imo, and like you say would last you 5+ years easily :cool:

Soldato
OP
I've been thinking what I'll be gaining if I wait and SAVE for the £2k+ monitors coming in a couple of months over buying a LG34GK950F now. After watching Linus' video on the PG35VQ he was limited in running the full spec's of the monitor due to the current display port. He settled on 10-bit colour and 144hz, well if I'm mistaken that's what the current LG 34" does now? All I'm gaining on top is proper HDR. That alone isn't worth £1k+ to me.

Back
Top Bottom