Coming back to Watercooling

Associate
I have watercooled a system before but it was a number of years ago and I'm sure things have improved since then. At the moment I am using a Ryzen 2600 (stock hsf) and a 1070Ti in a Corsair Carbide 88R case.

I was thinking of just getting an AIO for the cpu but would really like to wc the gpu as the fan gets really noisy when gaming.

I was wondering would it be better upgrading some of my hardware such as cpu or gpu before watercooling?

cheers

Soldato
I have watercooled a system before but it was a number of years ago and I'm sure things have improved since then. At the moment I am using a Ryzen 2600 (stock hsf) and a 1070Ti in a Corsair Carbide 88R case.

I was thinking of just getting an AIO for the cpu but would really like to wc the gpu as the fan gets really noisy when gaming.

I was wondering would it be better upgrading some of my hardware such as cpu or gpu before watercooling?

cheers
CPU sockets generally change infrequently, or mounting arrangements do anyway. But you'll typically need a separate block for every generation of GPU you use. So if you're planning on upgrading graphics soon, I'd do it before you buy a block.

You could always get the parts to cool your CPU now and add GPU block/card and block when you have the budget.

Edit: alternately you could get two AIOs, as those are often adaptable to different mounts. The trade-off is they're not as reliable, quiet, or cool as custom water.

Associate
OP
CPU sockets generally change infrequently, or mounting arrangements do anyway. But you'll typically need a separate block for every generation of GPU you use. So if you're planning on upgrading graphics soon, I'd do it before you buy a block.

You could always get the parts to cool your CPU now and add GPU block/card and block when you have the budget.

Edit: alternately you could get two AIOs, as those are often adaptable to different mounts. The trade-off is they're not as reliable, quiet, or cool as custom water.

thanks

Soldato
Using a AIO on your CPU is just a matter of budget. Doing the GPU is slightly more complex but using something like a NZXT G12 mounting mechanism and a compatible AIO can achieve very good results on the likes of Nvidia cards. There are multiple videos on Youtube about NZXT G12 cooling. I use a couple of them on 1070s and have no issues.

Back
Top Bottom