Which air cooler?

Associate
I'm looking at upgrading my CPU cooler to something a bit better without going liquid. I currently have the Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure which doesn't appear to be doing a great job at cooling my Ryzen 5 3600.

Does anyone have an idea how much better the Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B would be? Or maybe one of the Scythe Fuma variants? Ideally I don't want to be spending more than £70-80 on an air cooler. The Dark Rock Pro 4 also looks pretty decent.

I honestly thought the Matterhorn would be fine as it kept the temps on my Broadwell-E chip under control and it's bigger than the stock Ryzen cooler.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Cheers

Associate
OP
Would disabling PBO limit the CPU to just the base frequency? I would test it out, but I'm not at home yet. I would prefer the processor to run at its advertised speeds (up to 4.2ghz).

I still might change the cooler anyway as mine does have some surface damage caused by a bad batch of Kryonaut paste. It didn't seem to affect my I7 6850k temps as far as I could tell.

Soldato
I would have thought the Matterhorn Pure would be more than sufficient. I have one cooling an overclocked 7700K and it copes admirably. What temps are you getting and where are you getting them from? (BIOS, CPU-Z etc)

Associate
I had a ryzen 5 2600x , and with the stock spire cooler, it would hit 95 in cinebench r20. Aida 64 stress tests were completely out of the question. I mounted an old hyper 212 evo, with 2 fans on it, and it greatly reduced the temps down to about 77 in cinebench. Still not ideal, however I just came to terms with Ryzen being much hotter than my old Ivy Bridge system. It seems as though it might be the same with the 3000 series too sadly.

Back
Top Bottom