i3 6100 and RX480 Weird upgrade spot!?

Associate
Hello- So please help me :)

So I've got a i3 6100, 32GB of 2133mhz Ram, 450 Bronze PSU and an RX480. I'm not over the moon about my frame rates.

I'm thinking about buying; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-38j-sp.html

Will this work? Will I get extra frames right out the box? Will I need to upgrade my PSU? Possibly! I'm also wondering if the i3 will be bottlenecked.

Is this a good move?

Associate
Your CPU is a major problem in most modern games. Considering how cheap Ryzen is, a 2600, cheap A320M and keep your RAM is less than £200.

The RX480 is still a reasonably OK card, the i3-6100 is totally obsolete.

Soldato
Associate
It's a great CPU for older games, but for the latest games it's very poor. Some would be unplayable, some would have really bad drops, others would just chug along sort of OKish.

What games are you playing? I would say there's a likely chance that the framerate issues you're experiencing are entirely CPU related. Frequent stutters, pauses, poor average frames?

These days even quad core CPU's are struggling badly, and the i3-6100 is actually a dual core CPU, so you can see the issue.

Associate
OP
I play a lot of CSGO which it's fine for obviously. Other than that, nearly every other game it's a bit hit and miss at. I like to game @ 144mhz because of my screen but it rarely looks smooth and is really choppy.

Nearly every other game I get WILD FPS drops and fluctuations It's almost unplayable. I get loads of stutters.

I'm going to have to splash the cash aren't I, haha.

Associate
Yeah, I'd say even keep your RX480 for now. Still a decent card. Your problems are entirely due to the i3.

The most painless option would be to drop a 2nd hand i7-6700 in there, still a very good gaming CPU, but only if the price is reasonable.

Soldato
Yeah, I'd say even keep your RX480 for now. Still a decent card. Your problems are entirely due to the i3.

The most painless option would be to drop a 2nd hand i7-6700 in there, still a very good gaming CPU, but only if the price is reasonable.

The price of 4c i7 CPUs is still laughable, second hand as well. I'd just bite the bullet and sell up, buy a Ryzen 2600/3600 CPU/RAM/board bundle

Back
Top Bottom