Nexus 7 2013 replacement, Lenovo Tab4 8 Plus?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Looking to replace the Nexus 7 that my wife uses. It's not coping too well after ~5 years of use, seems to be having quite a slow time!

I did some quick research, and a Fire HD 8 was suggested as a cheap replacement. As it was Prime Day, I got one without doing much more research. It's on its way back now, as it's not really any quicker than the Nexus and the screen is awful. Seriously, anyone selling something as 'HD' that isn't at least 1080p in 2019 needs a smack on the nose.

Anyway, after a bit more research I've found that Lenovo Tab 4 Plus. it's 1080p, fast, 8" (this is important, ideally don't want anything bigger than the Nexus 7, but an 8" thin bezel is OK) - my only gripe with it.. it's £170 and Lenovo have already given up supoprting it at Android 8.1 https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht501098 LineageOS isn't working properly on it, and I don't have the patience for maintaining that or debugging issues.

Is this the best I'm going to find, and I'll have to make do with Android 8.1 (tbf, the Nexus runs Android 6) ?

Man of Honour
my nexus 7 2013 recently gave up the ghost...and my research also came to the same conclusion that the lenovo tab4 8 plus would be a similar replacement to the nexus 7.
though that being said, it is still pretty pricey for a product that is now unsupported, especially when bought new.

in the end i decided to go for the 10 plus instead though. nabbed a 4gb/64gb version off the bay for £140.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Good to hear I'm on the same page as others who have looked.
I can't get the 10 Plus though, the iPad got sold because it was too big!
I'll keep looking out for a decent deal on the 4 Plus

Man of Honour
If you don't mind getting it used, there's a few to be had at more reasonable prices.
£150 for the 3gh/16gb version with the speaker isn't the best deal ever. But the tab 4 plus has expandable storage to mitigate this somewhat.

Associate
Hello.
Bit of a late response, but have you looked into potentially flashing a new rom onto the nexus 7? I did it a few years ago and it helped prolong its life. Stripped down android and you can usually get a fairly recent version. I went down that path after finding no decent tablets at a decent price

Back
Top Bottom