Dell S2716 DG or alternative.

Associate
Hi people.

I have the chance of buying this monitor for £360 direct from Dell (with my NHS discount). Is this worth going for or is there a better alternative? I'm prepared to pay a little more (probably up to £450) but need it to be at least 27"(no bigger than 32"), 144Hz, 2560x1440 (not 4k, only have a 1070 GTX), G Sync (or g Sync compatible Freesync).

Any ideas?

Soldato
What monitor did you come from and how have you found it? I'm upgrading from an old Dell U2311 IPS panel.

I came from a U2515H, a 25" 2560x1440p Dell IPS (which is now above the S27), you can see a slight difference in colour, as in the S27 isn't quite as vibrant but the 144Hz refresh rate is more noticeable. I dare say an extra 10 points on Digital vibrance would get them near identical.

I was a pessimist and didn't think I'd notice the "desktop experience improving" but yeah you really do. The pointer is smoother, stuff just feels nicer and gaming you certainly don't stop and think the yellow could be a touch yellower. You just feel the game is a whole lot smoother.

Last edited:
Associate
I was considering this model until someone recommend the Dell S2719DGF.
It's a newer monitor than the DG but isn't officially G-Sync certified BUT all reviewers have said it works perfectly as a G-Sync monitor when you enable the settings.
The one thing that turned me away from the Dell 2716DG was how many people said the matt finish on the screen was horrible and you could really see it....

The 2719DGF can be bought for as low as £349.99 currently ;)

Associate
OP
I was considering this model until someone recommend the Dell S2719DGF.
It's a newer monitor than the DG but isn't officially G-Sync certified BUT all reviewers have said it works perfectly as a G-Sync monitor when you enable the settings.
The one thing that turned me away from the Dell 2716DG was how many people said the matt finish on the screen was horrible and you could really see it....

The 2719DGF can be bought for as low as £349.99 currently ;)

With my NHS discount I can get the DGF for £327. Not sure whether to wait and stump up a bit extra for the LG 27GL850-B or the LG 32GK850-F. Both seem to have HDR support which whilst not being essential, would be a small bonus and the LG 27" is an IPS screen which I believe is the most desirable choice of panel.

Associate
With my NHS discount I can get the DGF for £327. Not sure whether to wait and stump up a bit extra for the LG 27GL850-B or the LG 32GK850-F. Both seem to have HDR support which whilst not being essential, would be a small bonus and the LG 27" is an IPS screen which I believe is the most desirable choice of panel.
The LG does look a great monitor on the face of it, hopefully the reviews will be good.
If you don't mind waiting for it (OC stock date keeps getting pushed) and can afford the bit extra then I would defo go for that.

Associate
I wouldn't bother with the 2716DG now as the 2719DGF is better with 155 Hz and able to run both Nvidia and AMD cards with VRR.

The LG probably won't have a good HDR implementation being only 350 nits and without full array local dimming. It should still look better without HDR than the Dell being an IPS anyway.

Dell has a 3 year warranty and the LG may only have 1 year.

I would wait for the LG reviews and then decide.

Soldato
I have the 2716DG and it's a great screen but the colours are a bit off out of the box and took some tweaking to look ok. As others have said though, display tech has moved on quite a bit and you may be better off with a newer screen - particularly one with AMD and Nvidia compatibility

Back
Top Bottom