Hi all

Im looking into upgrading my pcu,mobo and memory

Looking at:-
Ryzen 5 2600x
MSI tomahawk b450
Corsair vengance ddr4 2666
Coolmaster Masterbox MB511 RGB

Would these go together and work OK?

Wanting to play current games like fifa,call of duty and forza,not bothered about 4k or that stuff,as long as it play ok and is future ish proof,i dont want to be changing again in a cpl of years

Graphics card is a geforce gtx 1050ti that will be next upgrade

Associate
Nothing wrong with that selection, however you might want to see if you can get 3000 or 3200 mhz ram. Unless you've already bought it, it shouldn't be more than a few pounds extra. You really should be aiming for 16gb of it, ideally in two 8gb sticks.

Associate
OP
Many thanks for the replays

I picked 2666 as the website says on the tomahawk specks the following

The four RAM slots support up to 64 GB DDR4-RAM with a clock frequency of up to 2.933 MHz and can be clocked up to 3.466 MHz via overclocking.

I wont be overclocking,but this may be that i am still learning about all this stuff,but how i read it i thought its 2933 max?

Associate
2933 is what we colloquially term 3000; they're the same thing. Anything above 2933 will simply run at that though, so no need to worry. It seems as though 3400 is supported by that board, so yeah 3200 really is what you want to get. Have you already bought the ram?

Man of Honour
I have a 500w one at the moment? not sure of the make,but ive never heard of it before?
and you expect us to go to your house to have a look and find out? or magically automatically know the make/model over the internet? lol

Would i need to upgrade my power supply?
perhaps having a look and finding out would help us give the best advise for yourself.

Associate
Would i need to upgrade my power supply? I have a 500w one at the moment? not sure of the make,but ive never heard of it before?

A rubbish PSU is a good way to ruin the nice new components you bought. I had a cheap PSU once and it went pop, taking a GPU down with it. I would say it's never worth taking the risk on your power supply so absolutely check what make and model it is.

Associate
OP
and you expect us to go to your house to have a look and find out? or magically automatically know the make/model over the internet? lol

perhaps having a look and finding out would help us give the best advise for yourself.
i was just saying its no

I wasn't expecting you to know what it was its more the power of it,i was unsure it it was powerful enough,hopefully your not a #### in real life and its just on here

Associate
OP
A rubbish PSU is a good way to ruin the nice new components you bought. I had a cheap PSU once and it went pop, taking a GPU down with it. I would say it's never worth taking the risk on your power supply so absolutely check what make and model it is.

Would the power be enough,i was going to swap,but didnt know if 500w was ok or would o need 600w or 650?

even i knew the make(at work now) you still may not know it,ive googled it a bit back and even that didnt find any mention of them :eek::eek:

Associate
Would the power be enough,i was going to swap,but didnt know if 500w was ok or would o need 600w or 650?

even i knew the make(at work now) you still may not know it,ive googled it a bit back and even that didnt find any mention of them :eek::eek:

Short answer:

Chances are, if it's not a known brand it won't be good enough and it's worth budgeting for a new one.

Long answer:

The wattage of a PSU can be misleading as it all depends on how those watts are delivered or whether they can be delivered where you need them. It has been a while since I looked at this properly but if I recall correctly, the PSU delivers its power down the different cables/rails in different ways or with different capacity. Some of those cables will be at 12v others at 36v but with watts calculated as amps x volts, if the ampage on a particular rail is low, you won't deliver too much in the way of watts. Or your component (in my case GPU) tries to draw too much wattage which exceeds the ampage limit and blows the PSU and kills the GPU. I'm probably not explaining this very well.

There's also a question of overall energy efficiency in the mix.

Have a look on the PSU when you're home and you should see a table showing the voltage and ampage of each rail. Do the amps x volts calc for all of them, add them up, and you'll get 500w. Worth posting that table here as that will give a clue as to what its capable of but I would still refer you back to my short answer.

Have a search on YouTube for PC Power Supply Guide as someone on there is bound to have a video that explains it all more thoroughly.

Edit: Have a look at the picture of this PSU and you'll see the table I mention. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cool...onze-semi-modular-power-supply-ca-37m-cm.html

This is good because although it is 650w overall, it's able to deliver all that power down the 12v rail if it needs to. The table is showing that of the total 650w, it can only deliver 120w across the 3.3 and 5v rails (which is fine) and then whatever is left can go to the 12v devices, subject to the 650w overall.

Another edit: Compare that to this PSU: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-core-series-600w-80-plus-certified-power-supply-ca-02p-kk.html

It's a 600w PSU but can only deliver 480w on the 12v rail.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
oh dear lord jeantech! nooooooo...change it out pronto!
stories of these el-cheapo psus dying and taking out the whole system with it (and some fires too lol)

Associate
That is more of a 400w psu, as that's all that's available on the 12v rail. If you stick with your 1050ti, you can JUST about technically get away with using that.
Even then, you'd be powering £400's worth of new components with that (a £15 psu), I wouldn't do it.
If the intention is a new gpu, then just get a new psu, there really is no argument.

Man of Honour
it has been faultless for a good 7/8 years though
keep your fingers crossed...there are reports of these actually starting house fires. no joke. taking out components are least of the worries...

what would you suggest,not after the cheapest,but dont want top spec
budget?

but in general, probably looking at the coolermaster masterwatt 650 or the corsair cx650m. both semi modular and bronze rated.
i wouldn't recommend getting a 550w psu nowadays (even though there's enough wattage to run an average system) purely because manufacturers sandbag their 550w psus by only supplying one pcie cable.
never recommended to run a mid-range+ gpu with a daisy chained pcie cable.

if you want to go a bit upmarket then the bitfenix formula 650w is good. gold rated. but it's non-modular.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom