• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo ETA for 3900x?

Associate
Meh, I will give it another week or so and then I will cancel. I may look at the 3950x or I will just wait until next year. For my personal situation AMD is letting Intel back in the door with their lack of supply. I do not blame OC for this but the lack of any accurate information from AMD is disappointing.

Soldato
Meh, I will give it another week or so and then I will cancel. I may look at the 3950x or I will just wait until next year. For my personal situation AMD is letting Intel back in the door with their lack of supply. I do not blame OC for this but the lack of any accurate information from AMD is disappointing.
Yeah I cancelled mine already and I agree with it being dissappointing from AMD; though I'm sure OcUK can justify the 10% hike though it probably wouldn't fly with me.

Soldato
So if you go to a store for an item and it's out of stock, what does the sales assistant say ?

I am pretty sure the answer is "would you like to preorder?"
That has literally never happened! lol. When has that ever happened in Tesco lol??? "Oh we are out of apples. Would you like to pre-order???"

I don't know why you are all arguing the point anyway lol. Enjoy loosing interest on your money while you wait for something to come back in stock lol.

T2sOh3q.png

Associate
Aren't preorders charged at the point of dispatch, not order... just a temporary card authorisation that expires? Not sure for overclockers, but they'd be the first i'd seen to do that. If so, nobody is losing any interest. Anyway, if you're purchasing something this expensive (anything over £100) it should always be directly on a credit card to ensure section 75 rights :cool: And not through PayPal either as the credit agreement is then with them.

Associate
Maybe there is a separate legal definition of pre-order used for distance selling that differs from the common use? Wouldn't be the first time.

With regards to when the charge for a pre-order is taken, I pre-ordered a 3900x from another major vendor and payment was taken straight away, same as from OCUK. They said they were getting stock in earlier and never did so cancelled and stuck with OCUK.

Whilst you may not be happy with money being taken straight away, it does at least lock you in to the price at the point of the pre-order. Earning the interest for a month on an order is not going to earn you very much, certainly not the £50 hike on the 3900x.

Associate
Which is better for AMD - to sell 1 chiplet for £199.99 or 2 of the same chiplets for 2.65 X £199.99 = £529.99 ?

It isn't just chiplets though. There is the packaging cost and the IO core too. The chiplets and IO core also need to be binned to hit the higher clocks. And finally £529 is not the price AMD charges, this is after exchange rates, duty, VAT, and vendor markup have been applied.

Associate
Hi @Gibbo - any uodates that you can share with us? I am thinking of getting a 3900X but going on holiday in a couple of weeks. Wondering what the chances of it coming in before I go are?

If I asked you to get your crystal ball out, how long do you think it will be until the 3900X is going to be 'available in stock'? I am sure demand is outstripping supply at the moment, to put it mildly! :(

Associate
Hi @Gibbo - any uodates that you can share with us? I am thinking of getting a 3900X but going on holiday in a couple of weeks. Wondering what the chances of it coming in before I go are?

If I asked you to get your crystal ball out, how long do you think it will be until the 3900X is going to be 'available in stock'? I am sure demand is outstripping supply at the moment, to put it mildly! :(

Following. :D

Associate
Does AMD have limited numbers of the 3900x or are they just holding them back untill a certain amount of the other chips have been sold?

Associate
Thats a moot point because the retailers that don't take money until dispatch also "lock you in" to the price point at the time of ordering.

Maybe, I haven't ordered from any retailer that doesn't take the money up front for an out of stock item (as opposed to an order for a pre-release item). Anyway there is some interesting info on why the money is taken up front, amongst other discussions and much nashing of teeth if you google: uk when should money be taken for a pre-order.

Seems like it is done to guarantee a queue position and provide concrete numbers of orders to distributors so they can allocate accordingly. It also seems to be becoming the norm, so if someone doesn't like it they can wait till the item is in stock before ordering.

Soldato
Seems like it is done to guarantee a queue position and provide concrete numbers of orders to distributors so they can allocate accordingly. It also seems to be becoming the norm, so if someone doesn't like it they can wait till the item is in stock before ordering.

Nah, nonsense. You can just as easily gaurantee a queue position and provide concrete numbers with payment taken at shipping.

It's just about grabbing capital, no more no less.
The interest might be trivial to you but when you X it by 10,000s of people and orders it suddenly becomes a significant amount of extra free revenue.

Back
Top Bottom