Patch Panel Recommendations

Soldato
Tried searching but didn’t turn up much.

Having an extension done so finally bringing all the networking together into a patch panel. Currently there’s around 16 connections (mostly CAT6), so I’ve assumed I’m looking at a 24 port unit, but is there any benefit in having 2x 12 port units? Easier to wire? Space isn’t an issue.

Looking at patch panels, I don’t really recognise any of the brands, so could do with pointing in the right direction. I also have assumed punchdown is the way to go.

Soldato
I like the Connectix Tool-free Keystone Modules in their Keystone panel. Irrespective of what modules you use, I would definitely go with a keystone panel.

The reason I would go with a keystone panel is that you can punch down all the connections you like when you first install the panel but if you want to add a jack later it’s usually less than easy to get in the panel with a punch down tool. With a keystone system you terminate the cable out in the open and pass it into the back of the panel and press it home. It’s much easier in what is usually an inaccessible space.

And I like tool-free because it just lets me be lazy and not carry a punch-down tool. I also use the Ez-RJ45 system for much the same reason.

As far as I’m aware, there is very little difference in quality between all the available panels, keystones, back-boxes etc. They’re all pretty much of a muchness. Just make sure what you buy is the correct sizing for the cable used (CAT 6 in your case) and colour-coded either all B or all A or has both wiring patterns obvious. That’s about the only thing that can go wrong in my experience.

I also like the Connectix vertical entry RJ45 wall boxes. I’ve never had anyone snag their legs or furniture on protruding cables which can be an issue with the horizontal entry boxes. But all Connectix keystone modules are colour coded for the B standard only and all the wall sockets are colour coded for both which led to a few minutes of confusion when I first used them.

Soldato
OP
CE, Excel, Connectix...

Are all of your cables solid core?

No reason to use multiple 12 port panels.

Thanks. I’m not sure actually, I need to find out what’s already in and what the electrician is putting in for the extension. I believe we’ve only specced Cat6 but nothing more specific.

I like the Connectix Tool-free Keystone Modules in their Keystone panel. Irrespective of what modules you use, I would definitely go with a keystone panel.

The reason I would go with a keystone panel is that you can punch down all the connections you like when you first install the panel but if you want to add a jack later it’s usually less than easy to get in the panel with a punch down tool. With a keystone system you terminate the cable out in the open and pass it into the back of the panel and press it home. It’s much easier in what is usually an inaccessible space.

And I like tool-free because it just lets me be lazy and not carry a punch-down tool. I also use the Ez-RJ45 system for much the same reason.

As far as I’m aware, there is very little difference in quality between all the available panels, keystones, back-boxes etc. They’re all pretty much of a muchness. Just make sure what you buy is the correct sizing for the cable used (CAT 6 in your case) and colour-coded either all B or all A or has both wiring patterns obvious. That’s about the only thing that can go wrong in my experience.

I also like the Connectix vertical entry RJ45 wall boxes. I’ve never had anyone snag their legs or furniture on protruding cables which can be an issue with the horizontal entry boxes. But all Connectix keystone modules are colour coded for the B standard only and all the wall sockets are colour coded for both which led to a few minutes of confusion when I first used them.

Thanks, this is really useful and informative. A keystone panel looks like the way to go and Connectix looks good.

You’re right about the vertical wall boxes, they do look handy, so will see if I can still spec those for a few sockets.

Don
Personally I'd only use keystone if you're not doing all of the cables in one go. (Less disruptive to add keystones into an existing panel). They take a little longer to do a whole panel worth.

Caporegime
Excel as of yesterday are not using single-use plastics in any of their packaging - so cables are bundled in paper wrappers, patch panels are packaged in brown cardboard only etc. It's a huge reduction in the amount of stuff that needs to be thrown away after a job completes - now you're just left with a load of paper after patching out a few hundred outlets, instead of loads of plastic bags and twist ties.

Don
^ I find it crazy when you order 100x patch leads. K with varying makes). Some you'll get 10 packs of 10, other times 100 cables all wrapped and twist tied :o

Back
Top Bottom