• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Precision Boost Overdrive How Much Over Max Boost You Have

Associate
Yeah mine will do the same sitting on the desktop it sits at 4.3Ghz constantly occassionally hits 4.4Ghz while its doing absolutely nothing lol.

I actually set Windows Power Saver power plan when I'm not in a game so it doesn't idle so ridiculously high lol.
Glad it isn't just me. I honestly have no idea whether there's anything I can change to make it work as it should but for now I think I'm just going to stick to a manual overclock.

Associate
OP
Well you guys just have crap BIOS and should be better when a proper BIOS is released.I can say I showed videos boosting past what's written on the box.

It is still useless yes, but I want what I paid for ,simple as that.Do not settle for crap BIOS and contact AMD/Motherboard manufactures.

I see people settling for 4200Mhz on there expensive 3900X,I would be ******.

Associate
Well you guys just have crap BIOS and should be better when a proper BIOS is released.I can say I showed videos boosting past what's written on the box.

It is still useless yes, but I want what I paid for ,simple as that.Do not settle for crap BIOS and contact AMD/Motherboard manufactures.

I see people settling for 4200Mhz on there expensive 3900X,I would be ******.

Yeah MSI today just released the v19 BIOS for my mobo but given all the problems with posting people have had with v17 and v18 I'll probably a wait a a little while before I flash anything else, it's stable atm (running v17) which is more than a lot of people can say it seems according to the msigaming reddit lol.

For now I just manually set my clocks to 4.4GHz in the gaming part of Ryzen Master I assume I could change the voltage to 1.4 from 1.48 as well, but haven't messed much with CPU overlocking might just leave the rest of it alone lol.

EDIT: Nvm that crashed I'll just leave it on this precision overboost setting and hang on for a while till a few more stable BIOS versions release lol.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sounds like a plan.My Ryzen system has been rock solid with MSI Motherboard.AMD has the new BIOS going out to people.Maybe soon it will be corrected for everyone.Good luck.

Soldato
I can see that the CPU is boosting up above 4.2 but only when the computer is basically idle. Under any kind of load it just throttles back which is .... pretty pointless.

https://pasteboard.co/Iqr8CwH.png

Yeah mine will do the same sitting on the desktop it sits at 4.3Ghz constantly occassionally hits 4.4Ghz while its doing absolutely nothing lol.

I actually set Windows Power Saver power plan when I'm not in a game so it doesn't idle so ridiculously high lol.
That's just how boost works; AMD's boost algorithms work a lot like nVidia GPUs. Short demanding tasks will get higher speeds than long demanding tasks. So opening an application might get you to maximum boost clock but running a stress test definitely won't.

Technically the same is true of Intel but their chips tend to be set to ignore certain limits by default so usually just hang around their boost clock even for demanding tasks. That's why even at "stock" they can reach insane temperatures.

Soldato
Which benchmark? Running all cores at max would see clocks like that. The maximum clock is for single threaded loads only, as has been the case with all previous Ryzen CPUs and all recent Intel CPUs.

Yup, that's where I was going wrong. Silly me. I was used to having an all core overclock on my 1600. Saw a brief 4.4 on single core. Thanks!

Soldato
What's your all core boost when it's under load?

When I was gaming last night Hitman2 and PUBG, I looked at afterburner graphs and they were all boosting to 4.350. My AIDA 64 Bench was before I updated to latest chipset drivers (which I did yesterday). I guess the MAX boost clock is what it should do out of the box like any Gfx card they sell with advertised boost clocks. But there is no reason as to why they cant go higher surely? Or have they put a physical limit so it won't boost past the maximum?

Soldato
When I was gaming last night Hitman2 and PUBG, I looked at afterburner graphs and they were all boosting to 4.350. My AIDA 64 Bench was before I updated to latest chipset drivers (which I did yesterday). I guess the MAX boost clock is what it should do out of the box like any Gfx card they sell with advertised boost clocks. But there is no reason as to why they cant go higher surely? Or have they put a physical limit so it won't boost past the maximum?

That sounds about right as mine is around 4.25-4.3GHz.

Back
Top Bottom