• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Tech reviewers and getting paid to favour one vendor over another

Caporegime
This video is a 16 minute rant as to why, almost making excuses for tech reviews taking money from one vendor to "skew" the review in favour of that paying vendor.

He says he knows some tech reviewers take money for this, he makes the point that smaller reviewers just don't make enough money from Youtube so they take the money.

What i found a little concerning in this video is it almost looked like he was trying to justify it.

What he didn't address, that i really thought he should have, is the potential customer viewing this content, in skewing the results for money, you are lying to people for money, you are misinforming people about where to spend their money, deliberately for a back hander from the vendor who results you are skewing in favour of, its not a "victimless crime" so to speak.

Take User Bench as an example, they are telling you an 8350K is better than a Ryzen 2600, it is not, not for games, not for anything, the 2600 is better in all aspects but the way in which User Bench arrogate their performance results makes the 8350K look far better than it actually is.

This is plain and simply deception, a lie, and a lot of people use it to make their CPU buying choices, that's a lot of people ripped off.

I will conclude by saying this, for the first time in a long time we have real competition again, AMD are out of the cold and genuinely competing with Intel again, and nVidia, Navi is actually a competitive GPU, the 5700XT is a very small efficient mid range type GPU that compete with nVidia's higher end RTX 2070 super for well over £100 less, because its so small it has a lot of room to grow, 60% to get it upto 4096 Shaders and with that many shaders the thing will be a GPU performance monster.

Intel nor nVidia are any longer competing with themselves and they all would rather not that be the case, with that they all want you to think it isn't.

Intel, we know are already trying to change how reviewers reviews on CPU's, they know they are beaten by AMD in heavy workloads so what they want reviewers to do is benchmark media players and web browsers.
Stuff that can run on a potato but its the best chance Intel have of not looking quite so bad when AMD's £500 CPU has similar per core performance with 50% more cores vs Intel's £500 CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
It’s just a modern version of what guys were doing back in the day with paid forum posters when that was the main source of info. The big companies hire out marketing firms who will work to build influence any which way they can. If it comes out, they can just break away and clean their hands and blame the marketing outsourcer they selected....

Look up the Nvidia/AEG viral “scandal” they did a few years back. Same thing just modernized.

Caporegime
The difference now is competition is back with us, that's my point, now it matters again.

it doesnt matter. you will always have people biased either side. you yourself for eg. are so pro amd and its actually funny to see you mentioning what you basically do numerous times every day. :p

Soldato
The tech press is infested with shills (paid and otherwise), but it's not like it's any different in most other forms of media where people review things. Movie reviewers shilling the latest Disney trash, games reviewers shilling the latest "AAA" slop, etc. You just need to find a handful of people that you trust and filter the rest out. For me, when it comes to PC hardware, Hardware Unboxed, Tech YES City and Level1Techs are my go-tos. Gamers Nexus is okay, but I find Steve's personality pretty off-putting. Personally, I like Linus too. He gets a lot of crap for his style, but personally I don't believe him to be biased or for sale outside of clearly-labelled sponsored videos. That said, he's more for entertainment than actual serious numbers.

it doesnt matter. you will always have people biased either side. you yourself for eg. are so pro amd and its actually funny to see you mentioning what you basically do numerous times every day. :p
Indeed, but then it's balanced out by people like you who are so anti-AMD that you treat shilling for Intel and Nvidia on here as a full-time job, whilst hiding behind the pretence of being unbiased. :)

Caporegime
im not biased though. your perception not reality. the difference is you have been proven to be the amd shill of the forums. someone even worked out your post ratio and it was the highest on this forum for pro amd posts. you cant argue about equality or bias if you yourself are biased.

Soldato
This video is a 16 minute rant as to why, almost making excuses for tech reviews taking money from one vendor to "skew" the review in favour of that paying vendor.

He says he knows some tech reviewers take money for this, he makes the point that smaller reviewers just don't make enough money from Youtube so they take the money.

What i found a little concerning in this video is it almost looked like he was trying to justify it.

What he didn't address, that i really thought he should have, is the potential customer viewing this content, in skewing the results for money, you are lying to people for money, you are misinforming people about where to spend their money, deliberately for a back hander from the vendor who results you are skewing in favour of, its not a "victimless crime" so to speak.

Take User Bench as an example, they are telling you an 8350K is better than a Ryzen 2600, it is not, not for games, not for anything, the 2600 is better in all aspects but the way in which User Bench arrogate their performance results makes the 8350K look far better than it actually is.

This is plain and simply deception, a lie, and a lot of people use it to make their CPU buying choices, that's a lot of people ripped off.

I will conclude by saying this, for the first time in a long time we have real competition again, AMD are out of the cold and genuinely competing with Intel again, and nVidia, Navi is actually a competitive GPU, the 5700XT is a very small efficient mid range type GPU that compete with nVidia's higher end RTX 2070 super for well over £100 less, because its so small it has a lot of room to grow, 60% to get it upto 4096 Shaders and with that many shaders the thing will be a GPU performance monster.

Intel nor nVidia are any longer competing with themselves and they all would rather not that be the case, with that they all want you to think it isn't.

Intel, we know are already trying to change how reviewers reviews on CPU's, they know they are beaten by AMD in heavy workloads so what they want reviewers to do is benchmark media players and web browsers.
Stuff that can run on a potato but its the best chance Intel have of not looking quite so bad when AMD's £500 CPU has similar per core performance with 50% more cores vs Intel's £500 CPU.

I actually quite like Chris from the Good Old Gamer channel. He has got a LOT better now he does youtube full time. Before he was a bit slap dash with his stuff. He's honest about things and I doubt he's a paid shill for anyone. Rips all 3 tech boys a new one on a regular basis. I think that's why he doesn't get freebies sent to him to test.

Soldato
Everyone is biased in one way or another, DG saying he isn't just shows that he's deluded and needs to take a good look at himself. Again, everyone is biased, everyone is a hypocrite - that's just how it is..

Associate
Everyone is biased in one way or another, DG saying he isn't just shows that he's deluded and needs to take a good look at himself. Again, everyone is biased, everyone is a hypocrite - that's just how it is..

It's impossible to be completely unbiased, but as long as you're honest about your biases then it's not an issue. Some obviously struggle with this more than others! :p

Caporegime
OP
I actually quite like Chris from the Good Old Gamer channel. He has got a LOT better now he does youtube full time. Before he was a bit slap dash with his stuff. He's honest about things and I doubt he's a paid shill for anyone. Rips all 3 tech boys a new one on a regular basis. I think that's why he doesn't get freebies sent to him to test.

Oh i agree, i don't think Chris is shilling for anyone. :)

Soldato
hardware unboxed did a video surrounding 'Userbenchmarks' its quite interesting.

Yeah but there's still the question of, did they ever give any worthy advice in the first place.

They show gathered data which is all well and good but their conclusions suck and even before the recent drama their conclusions sucked even when their own data shows otherwise.

The question about them is more along the lines of, did they ever give advice worth taking seriously and does them getting worse at it change anything.

For what its worth their conclusions suck even if you look at Intel cpus. The fact that they spiked multicore weighting after the 3000 launch looks especially bad but it still affects Intel (although less).

Associate
This kind of crap is a massive concern, as it favours not the companies with the best products but those with the deepest pockets, and none can hold a candle to Intel's wealth. Surely it should be illegal.

Associate
As i said before, that site was very prominent in searches for cpus - an awful lot of uniformed folk will get buying help from it. I know IT staff who have used it.
It stinks of an envelope being passed over, maybe it isnt and its just complete stupidity what they did with the weightings and such... but it sure as hell doesnt look like that from the outside.

TrM

TrM

Associate
At the end of the day no matter what intel and nvidia will win in the pc landscape.

Intel have to big a market share in the key areas amd are to small to make dents into it. Del hp and other prebuild venders sell so much intel and only offer a small deception of amd cpu and gpu. We see posts about and out selling intel in Germany and other places in custom part cpu but that is such a small avaenue vs other aspects of the trade

Intel will throw money at anyone so will nvidia and tbh so will amd we’ve seen amd and nvidia in the gpu space make game makers use there tool sets and screw the other many times over years amd and nvidia both guilty of it.

Intel had there own way for many years and other amd basically offering a terrible cpu till Ryzen come out bulldozer was a total failure. Intel moved ahead then rehashed the same cpu over and over again and if I’m honest the only reason why i7 8700k amd i9 9900k exists is the increased completion and that’s a good thing and I’m very sure intel with there new cpu coming will pull ahead of amd again and that’s good.

But here is the thing paid you tuber and press and stuff is not new and to be expected. I watch a lot of different reviews and I make my own mind up.

Now I know I’ve made a lot of posts about being pro amd and if I’m honest I am pro amd atm not because of brand loyalty or I feel I owe amd something since Ryzen have come out they really have put out a better overall cpu vs intel at the time 1700x vs 7700k 2700x vs 8700k much better value core count and if I’m honest vs those processors better overall cpu but subjectly worse pc gaming stats (on my gpu and 1400p) now if intel would have brought the 9900k out at Ryzen prices I would have jumped on that cpu I really would but intel decided to do a soft paper launch at 500 pounds and no stock etc it quickly went up to 600 pounds.

But until amd or someone else can pry dell go etc from being intel systems amd or whoever will always be a second best cpu gpu etc

Intel will do everything they can to sell there cpu ASUs will do everything they can to sell there hardware and so will amd and nvidia dirty tricks are part of the game and who ever has the most money will always win.

Amd could bring out a 9900k killer that’s 2x as fast or a 2080ti killer that’s 2x as fast and I would still like to bet intel and nvidia would out sell them by a lot.

But atm with i9 9900k being cheaper and cheaper I’ve got to say 3800x and 3700x vs intel has gotten a lot harder to chose amd now as i9 at 400 pounds is a amazing deal tbh

Associate
As i said before, that site was very prominent in searches for cpus - an awful lot of uniformed folk will get buying help from it. I know IT staff who have used it.
It stinks of an envelope being passed over, maybe it isnt and its just complete stupidity what they did with the weightings and such... but it sure as hell doesnt look like that from the outside.

It's the first site Google throws up if you're looking to compare one CPU or GPU with another, literally the first one. No wonder the brown envelopes came into effect!

Soldato
I'm probably slightly biased towards AMD just now. But that's only because I don't like being taken for a mug. And that's exactly what intel and Nvidia have been doing for the past while. I would just as quickly jump away from AMD if they started dirty tricks or apathy too. I have no allegence for allegence sake. I favour the company that respects it's customers. And weight that into my purchasing decision. Does that mean I won't buy intel? No. But it's a factor. Enough of a factor to mean I refuse to buy into Turing.

Back
Top Bottom