Civilization VI

Soldato
The base game has changed though through expansions even if you don't have them. Resources for example. Personally I would grab the major DLCs and jump in. If you're not confident in the game, just set the difficultly down and learn the first 50 or so turns, then build from there. Honestly does not take that long to learn the basics.
It wasn’t about learning the game it was about extending the amount of fun you can get out of it by drip feeding in new features as you get bored. We would play a batch of multiple games until it was getting boring then add in new features which refreshed the game. This way we get way more fun out of the game over just jumping right in with everything.

Soldato
It wasn’t about learning the game it was about extending the amount of fun you can get out of it by drip feeding in new features as you get bored. We would play a batch of multiple games until it was getting boring then add in new features which refreshed the game. This way we get way more fun out of the game over just jumping right in with everything.

That has worked for me with Cities Skylines. It has extended the playability of that game for me over several years.

Soldato
What's the craic with online games?

I used to put days into Civ IV, I wasn't any good, and quite fancy a bit of this. Do you do regular times and complete games over several evenings etc?

Is there anywhere for a noob to get on board?

Soldato

I used to put days into Civ IV, I wasn't any good, and quite fancy a bit of this. Do you do regular times and complete games over several evenings etc?

For us we are know each other in the offline world and arrange semi regular times and complete games over a periods of weeks or months. We aim for one evening a week but life gets in the way sometimes.

Soldato

I can understand your perspective however tried to do the same with Civ4 years back but as the gameplay changed quite a bit with expansions it was harder to get to grips with. With Civ5 and 6 though as I bought both and all DLC on releases I guess I have done what you choose too anyway without thinking about it.

Just got over 500 hours this week on civ6, not a lot for some but I think between 4, 5 and 6 I have about 1500 hours...

Man of Honour
For us we are know each other in the offline world and arrange semi regular times and complete games over a periods of weeks or months. We aim for one evening a week but life gets in the way sometimes.

Thats the same with the missus and I, we only play multiplayer games of Civ 6 too, only on Marathon game length , giant map etc..we join games and they can often take months to complete. But the dimension it adds having human players involved is immense, gives a whole new spin to diplomacy and alliances and inter-player deals etc.

Soldato
Trying hard to enjoy this game but I honestly can't, bought a package in the Steam sale and loved previous versions.
I also appear to have a glitch where the game, after a turn, will just keep scrolling unless I click on the minimap. Or if I press up or down it'll then again continuously scroll in left or right.

Soldato
Trying hard to enjoy this game but I honestly can't, bought a package in the Steam sale and loved previous versions.
I also appear to have a glitch where the game, after a turn, will just keep scrolling unless I click on the minimap. Or if I press up or down it'll then again continuously scroll in left or right.

That is a known bug (which still hasn't been fixed)

You can fix it yourself with the advice on this thread. https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/340412122409591624/

Soldato

What is making it a struggle for you? I actually tried to play Civ5 the other day and missed Civ6 (save for the music, as Civ5 music was excellent).

It is a little different due to the expanded cities and so forth, but it is far from a bad game. The AI is akin to Civ5 and is not great which has always been my issue. I wish someone who look at Civ4s AI and spend some time putting that logic into Civ6.

Soldato
OP
The biggest problem with the last couple of games in the series has been AI they seem more interested in eye candy and music not game play.

Yeah, AI needs a lot of work. I don't think it'll be sorted in Civ 6 but I hope they really look at it for Civ 7. It's the way they handle difficulty level increases that causes most of the issues, as their AI is not bad on some difficulties, but for higher difficulties they just give extra stuff/cheats to the computer, and lower difficulties they forget their objectives too much and are too passive. It skews their priorities and everything gets messed up - pretty much why domination victories take over at Immortal/Deity, and Civ tier rankings all are domination based for the most part. It also causes your first 50-100 moves to be nearly identical as you're playing catch up.

Civ 6 is still a really good game at this point though; especially with the latest expansion.

Soldato
Yeah, AI needs a lot of work. I don't think it'll be sorted in Civ 6 but I hope they really look at it for Civ 7. It's the way they handle difficulty level increases that causes most of the issues, as their AI is not bad on some difficulties, but for higher difficulties they just give extra stuff/cheats to the computer, and lower difficulties they forget their objectives too much and are too passive. It skews their priorities and everything gets messed up - pretty much why domination victories take over at Immortal/Deity, and Civ tier rankings all are domination based for the most part. It also causes your first 50-100 moves to be nearly identical as you're playing catch up.

Civ 6 is still a really good game at this point though; especially with the latest expansion.

I normally play on king, which I know is not very 'difficult' but any higher and I find myself needing to restart 50 turns in if my start is not great. A bad start on emporer or higher to me means I am playing catch up rather than strategy. Puts me off pushing through it even though I know I could do it most of the time. On Civ5 I always played Emporer and found it a great balance, bit the Civ6 changes have altered this balance and the map is far far more important than before.

Soldato
What is making it a struggle for you? I actually tried to play Civ5 the other day and missed Civ6 (save for the music, as Civ5 music was excellent).

It is a little different due to the expanded cities and so forth, but it is far from a bad game. The AI is akin to Civ5 and is not great which has always been my issue. I wish someone who look at Civ4s AI and spend some time putting that logic into Civ6.

Honestly not sure. Even on large maps I feel all of a sudden you've expanded into nearest other civilisations, maybe need to just have a play and tweak with settings. Real casual player here though.
Good to read there's a fix for the glitch.

Soldato
Honestly not sure. Even on large maps I feel all of a sudden you've expanded into nearest other civilisations, maybe need to just have a play and tweak with settings. Real casual player here though.
Good to read there's a fix for the glitch.

Normally I find on the default map settings I get a decent area to expand into. Sometimes it's inland, sometimes down a coast, sometimes on islands. Rarely do I get a game where 5-6 cities is not possible. I normally get 7-8 quite quickly as I expand fast then build tall. This can put me behind in science sometimes but not by much and it's normally easy to catch up.

I suggest just playing and learning the rulesets and what works for you.

Associate
Bought Civ 5 once it was finished and I loved it. So I bought Civ 6 at release. Didn't play much, and found it quite boring (I think I was also too used to the Civ 5 mechanics).

Are the DLCs worth? Is it worth coming back (Big fan of strategy games)?

Associate
Bought Civ 5 once it was finished and I loved it. So I bought Civ 6 at release. Didn't play much, and found it quite boring (I think I was also too used to the Civ 5 mechanics).

Are the DLCs worth? Is it worth coming back (Big fan of strategy games)?
Mixed fortunes really like civ 5 it would be better to wait until all the DLC is released and then pick it up in sales. I still find my self going back to Civ5.

Associate
civ 5 it would be better to wait until all the DLC is released and then pick it up in sales
Ok, so pretty much what I thought. It will require some patience, but I think it will give save me some money and I might even enjoy the game more later. I think I should've hold with the hype.

Similar to Paradox games, where games are better bought after all DLCs are released.

I'm glad they keep improving the game, but feels like there's something wrong about it.

Thank you for your thoughts

Soldato
Thread bump. Civ6 Platinum Edition is currently on sales on Steam, and even cheaper on CDKeys.com (about £34). It includes the base game, both expansions, and all the DLC. Being bored and having never tried it, I bought it yesterday afternoon and started playing.

What felt like a couple of hours later, I looked up bleary eyed, and it was 2AM.

Jesus Christ. "Just one more turn..." still applies :eek: Really enjoying the game so far, and whilst I held off buying at first because the consensus seemed to be that it wasn't a worthy successor to Civ5, to me it seems every bit as deep and involving at the moment. I can see this being a perfect time sink during lockdown.

Caporegime

civ iv was the last civilization game with drop in/drop out multiplayer?

ie your starting a match 8 FFA
all 8 humans, player 2 players drop out they didn't password their civ so someone else another entirely random person can connect to the in progress game and take over one of the AI spots

Back
Top Bottom