What watch do you wear?

icG

icG

Associate
I love my Citizen Eco-Drive; had it for 3 years now, no problems. Been checking forums from time to time and seen plenty of nice watches but won't spend more than 100GBP on a watch anytime soon.

Associate
Got a SD50 Yesterday which means I now have a 3 Large diving watches.

I've already agreed a deal to sell the Deepsea this morning and now and I think I am also going to put the Blancpain up for sale, save up a little more and buy a Day-Date 40

Was cool to see them all together even for a short while.

Kz7q8Oa.jpg

Kz7q8Oa

Man of Honour
My first venture into the more expensive (well, for me :D) watch world after losing my favourite Seiko:

tag.jpg

Question however, does anyone know where you can get replacement (genuine) Tag straps? Wouldn't mind a backup for when this one gets worn :)

If you ever need a genuine TAG Heuer strap I can help you.

Soldato
Got a SD50 Yesterday which means I now have a 3 Large diving watches.

I've already agreed a deal to sell the Deepsea this morning and now and I think I am also going to put the Blancpain up for sale, save up a little more and buy a Day-Date 40

Was cool to see them all together even for a short while.

Kz7q8Oa.jp

Kz7q8Oa

That Blancpain is beautiful.

Soldato
attachment.php

I have this coming... was a real deal, so going to no doubt flip it when it arrives but it's a really nice piece! So, real question is, I'm looking to pick up something in the 800 euro range, once I flipped this, which I would like to trade up again... I'm challenging myself to trade up to something mega. So, around 800 that I could flip for about 1200 :p
Around that mark I think I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled on a Longines bargain to come up, maybe a Tag, but I dislike tag that much and there are so many around, not sure I could. Maybe I'll find a bargain Oris to flip.

Nice little piece on the Orient: https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/orient-star-gmt-wz0071dj-review/

Last edited:
Soldato
A question for the watch experts on here....the clasp on my Citizen Eco Drive is broken. It keeps coming undone at the slightest pressure.

It's a metal bracelet style, which I've always worn, but I think that I would actually prefer a leather strap. I get annoyed with my metal strap resting on the desk and scratching when typing, and I just fancy a change - the watch is silver with a black face and gold details (bezel, hands and knobs), and I think a brown leather strap would suit it nicely, and make it look a little smarter.

Should swapping straps be fairly straightforward, even if moving to a different style of strap? I know how to remove and replace individual links, but to actually remove the bracelet looks like I'll need a special tool. Happy to give it a go myself if it's possible, but I'm not sure if it's something I should just leave to a jeweller.

Here's the watch in question. I'm guessing that I just need a tool to get at the shoulder of the lugs where the bracelet attaches to the watch body.

fBvHw6T.jpg.png
9dP3NLm.jpg.png

Associate
A question for the watch experts on here....the clasp on my Citizen Eco Drive is broken. It keeps coming undone at the slightest pressure.

It's a metal bracelet style, which I've always worn, but I think that I would actually prefer a leather strap. I get annoyed with my metal strap resting on the desk and scratching when typing, and I just fancy a change - the watch is silver with a black face and gold details (bezel, hands and knobs), and I think a brown leather strap would suit it nicely, and make it look a little smarter.

Should swapping straps be fairly straightforward, even if moving to a different style of strap? I know how to remove and replace individual links, but to actually remove the bracelet looks like I'll need a special tool. Happy to give it a go myself if it's possible, but I'm not sure if it's something I should just leave to a jeweller.

Here's the watch in question. I'm guessing that I just need a tool to get at the shoulder of the lugs where the bracelet attaches to the watch body.

fBvHw6T.jpg.png
9dP3NLm.jpg.png

You'll struggle to find a watch strap that will fit that as the straps end links are integrated into the watch head

However, you may be able to fix the clasp very easily if it is of a certain design. This video explains how.

Soldato
You'll struggle to find a watch strap that will fit that as the straps end links are integrated into the watch head

However, you may be able to fix the clasp very easily if it is of a certain design. This video explains how.

That's a bugger. I fancied a new strap.

Never mind. I should be able to just replace the clasp - that should be fairly straight forward....I'd already removed it and taken it apart thinking it might just be some muck in the mechanism which was causing it not to close and lock properly, but it seems something has actually snapped inside.

It's slightly different to the clasp in that video, it has a link with a built in clip which locks the strap in place. There's a push tab release on each side, so you squeeze the link between thumb and forefinger, pressing in both tabs, to make it come undone. It's this link which has broken, in such a way that it comes undone if you squeeze just one side, rather than having to press in both tabs. Which is annoying, because if it gets caught on the cuff of my clothes, that's enough to undo it. But if I can find a replacement for just that section, I can replace just that. Cheers :)

Last edited:
Associate
That's a bugger. I fancied a new strap.

Never mind. I should be able to just replace the clasp - that should be fairly straight forward....I'd already removed it and taken it apart thinking it might just be some muck in the mechanism which was causing it not to close and lock properly, but it seems something has actually snapped inside.

It's slightly different to the clasp in that video, it has a link with a built in clip which locks the strap in place. There's a push tab release on each side, so you squeeze the link between thumb and forefinger, pressing in both tabs, to make it come undone. It's this link which has broken, in such a way that it comes undone if you squeeze just one side, rather than having to press in both tabs. Which is annoying, because if it gets caught on the cuff of my clothes, that's enough to undo it. But if I can find a replacement for just that section, I can replace just that. Cheers :)

Well you could always cut part of the strap out like this. It may look a little odd though and construction of the strap may be compromised if you have to cut through stitching.

XP5g3fT.jpg

There are plenty of claps for sale on ebay, you may even be able to get at Citizen one (just make sure you get the right size).....or you could get a new watch (any excuse etc...).

Soldato

fBvHw6T.jpg.png
9dP3NLm.jpg.png
As @Wizardskills noted, it may be a bit of a faff to find a strap that works because of the design. Whilst you can cut them down, I've never got it to work well at all as the ends of the strap show themselves when the strap bends. Decent makers can of course (or people with home skillzz) but I've not managed it.

If you find the clasp irritating in terms of how it scratches, you can put what is rather like a screen protector on the clasp's face, meaning it's plastic rubbing on your desk rather than the metal clasp. I've seen them made from the thicker screen protectors and they can work very well if cut to size properly. There may even be dedicated 'watch clasp protector films' for your clasp, so worth a hunt.

Associate
Quick question for the experts: How do you go about getting a valuation done and what would be a reasonable expectation of cost?

I'm interested in getting a bit of history on a vintage watch and to see if I need to get separate insurance on it..

Soldato
Quick question for the experts: How do you go about getting a valuation done and what would be a reasonable expectation of cost?

I'm interested in getting a bit of history on a vintage watch and to see if I need to get separate insurance on it..
Post it here and some may be able to advise what it is and then you can find real-world values online for it.

Back
Top Bottom