The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
What you selling?

5Dmk4 x 2 (with half a dozen official and a dozen 3rd party batts)

Sigma 20mm F/1.4 Art
Canon 24mm L F/1.4 mk2
Canon 35mm L F/1.4 mk2
Canon 45 TSE (probably going to keep this)
Sigma 50mm F/1.4 Art
Canon 85mm L F/1.2 mk2
Canon 135mm L F/2.0
Canon 16-35mm L F/2.8 mk1
Canon 24-70mm L F/2.8 mk1

600EX-RT (mk1) x 4
Yongnuo 568 flash
Yongnuo Trigger

Have you tried any fast action shots? Does the viewfinder delay limit?

The delay only applies in the A73 when shoot 10fps (Hi+ mode), so I tend to stay in 8fps (Hi mode).

Soldato
Done 2 weddings now with it, it's been fine on the dancefloor, it even finds the Eye without the flash LED coming on!

excellent. I have been shooting in the day time with the Sony but at night sticking with the canon through lack of confidence (experience) with the Sony and being more familiar with the canon

i guess i need to get practising

Caporegime
excellent. I have been shooting in the day time with the Sony but at night sticking with the canon through lack of confidence (experience) with the Sony and being more familiar with the canon

i guess i need to get practising

I had the exact same concern hence kept my full canon set up for a few more months so I can test out the Sony incase it sucked and have something to fall back on.

Soldato
Nope. Blackout free my a9 is

I checked that group out. Thanks for the tip. A9 generally no blackout whereas the others suffer.

In summary what am I gaining over my ageing 7dii? Better noise handling and AF/tracking? Anything I've missed? I'm about to drop 6k on the canon 500mm mark 2 + x1.4tc but rethinking this if I need to shift to a different brand.....

Caporegime
I checked that group out. Thanks for the tip. A9 generally no blackout whereas the others suffer.

In summary what am I gaining over my ageing 7dii? Better noise handling and AF/tracking? Anything I've missed? I'm about to drop 6k on the canon 500mm mark 2 + x1.4tc but rethinking this if I need to shift to a different brand.....
The A9 will be replaced soon so probably better to hold on a little while. For benefits just look at the many reviews on YouTube.

Soldato

You get better iq and faster frame rates and proper silent shooting for sports like gold and tennis where silent shooting is preferable.

I wouldnt drop 500mm on a dslr lens. Instead u should invest in either canikon or sony mirrorless as a 500mm type lens will come on those soon

Associate
Pretty much every review I read says if you have an a7r3 the improvements, while nice, don't justify an upgrade.

That's probably true but two things, most are closer to first impressions than actual reviews and that's probably the correct advice for every version update of a camera series, not many people ever truly *need* the improvements the next model up brings.

Have you noticed that trend where something comes out it's immediately rubbished but then once it's been out for a while people get the chance to properly understand its pros and cons, then we get a balanced opinion of where it actually fits in with everything else. I could be wrong but I expect the R4 to get glowing reviews when considered on its own merits.

Caporegime
That's probably true but two things, most are closer to first impressions than actual reviews and that's probably the correct advice for every version update of a camera series, not many people ever truly *need* the improvements the next model up brings.

Have you noticed that trend where something comes out it's immediately rubbished but then once it's been out for a while people get the chance to properly understand its pros and cons, then we get a balanced opinion of where it actually fits in with everything else. I could be wrong but I expect the R4 to get glowing reviews when considered on its own merits.
You are exeggerating. No-one has "rubbished" (lol) the A7R4, just said that if you already own an A7R3 then it's not worth spending additional thousands to upgrade.

I specifically said in post #1908 that for new buyers it would be a no-brainer, so please keep things in perspective and read threads thoroughly. :)

Soldato
You are exeggerating. No-one has "rubbished" (lol) the A7R4, just said that if you already own an A7R3 then it's not worth spending additional thousands to upgrade.

I specifically said in post #1908 that for new buyers it would be a no-brainer, so please keep things in perspective and read threads thoroughly. :)
It is worth the upgrade if you do have a mk3.

Better IQ

Better AF

Better ergonomics

Better buffer speed

Caporegime
It is worth the upgrade if you do have a mk3.

Better IQ

Better AF

Better ergonomics

Better buffer speed
Not unless you are a professional making good money and you feel that you will benefit from the improvements where every bit of performance counts. Or unless, of course, you are a hobbyist with money to burn and price vs performance doesn't factor into it.

Soldato
Not unless you are a professional making good money and you feel that you will benefit from the improvements where every bit of performance counts. Or unless, of course, you are a hobbyist with money to burn and price vs performance doesn't factor into it.
You will probably spend at most £2000 on it as you may sell the previous a7r3 for 1.2k

Caporegime
You will probably spend at most £2000 on it as you may sell the previous a7r3 for 1.2k
Yeah because £2000 is nothing is it... chump change...

Oh wait, it's the price of an amazing lens which will arguably be a much bigger upgrade than simply swapping getting 20% more MP and some incremental performance upgrades.

You seem to be a bit of a gear head and may benefit from a slight reality check. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Suspect you will get at least £1500 for the r3, maybe up to £1800 depending on condition.
yea
Actually saw a good video explaining why the a7r4 is not a massive upgrade to the r3. Personally i have not pre ordered as i am waiting more on the A9mk2.

I find that if they can improve below the things here:

• 36mp minimum for better cropping ability
  • 10-12fps mechanical shutter speed
  • Better ergonomics like the R4
  • More weather sealing
  • Faster dual card slots to make it 2x as fast to completely clear the buffer(uhs 3 dual card slots please)
  • GPS
  • Log profile for video
  • USB-C connection

Nice to have:

• 24FPS E-Shutter
  • Full menu touch screen
  • 60fps 4k video 10 bit

Caporegime
I am upgrading from the A7iii so an easier choice for me. I dont use the crop mode with my A7iii as I think from memory its only 10Mp and isnt enough but for my wildlife and plane photograph. The crop on the a7riv will be perfect and as good as have already resolution wise without a crop. This will be really useful to get extra reach from my 100-400 GM with 1.4tc.

I own 6 GM lens which arent really shining to their best abilities with the 24Mp A7iii sensor.

The A7Riv AF is basically out of the A9 so will be a step up esp with tracking.

The eyeview finder step up in resolution will be a boost along with the ergonomics and weather sealing.

I take a lot of landscapes so the 61Mp and 240Mp super shot will be a boost.

I was waiting on the A9ii myself as I expect it will be a 36Mp stacked sensor and 20 to 30fps silent shutter speed and will no doubt have far superior AF and tracking than even the A9 or A7rIV has but I also suspect it will be closer to £5k on launch so that would be a huge step up from an A7iii cost.

Back
Top Bottom