• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
I've had to build a new system. Shame AMD 3000 series not ready yet so for now picked up a 9900K. Seems alright to me despite the warning on heat generation. Only running it stock but running Cinebench multiple times in succession only a couple of cores peak at 75c using an air cooler, and only then after a few runs. Most were 70-72.
Still planning to go AMD later in the year but depending on the specs and my requirements I might keep this too.

Soldato
The original idle temps you posted were high. I don't know why that was the case but it's good you've got it sorted. 40s is not where I would expect a 9700k to idle at all.

The water pumps are at 3/4 speed and the cpu is at 5Ghz @1.25V
I am going to leave it there for a month or two.

But as soon as I can get usb 3.1 drivers for win 7, I'm ditching windows 10(spit) :)

Soldato
Hopefully in the next 3 weeks or so but looking at the RRP it may just as cheap to buy a 9900k, Z board and do the downclocking manually.

Undervolting and underclocking are things I would avoid for set-and-forget computers. Sometimes a BIOS update, a power loss or other things may cause unwanted reset of the BIOS settings, and you'd need to do these adjustments again. Unless you write down the optimal clock and voltage values you've found and stick it inside the computer case, it's easy to forget over time and time-consuming when you have to figure out these values again. For me I always prefer the T variation for significantly reduced harassment.

Associate
Undervolting and underclocking are things I would avoid for set-and-forget computers. Sometimes a BIOS update, a power loss or other things may cause unwanted reset of the BIOS settings, and you'd need to do these adjustments again. Unless you write down the optimal clock and voltage values you've found and stick it inside the computer case, it's easy to forget over time and time-consuming when you have to figure out these values again. For me I always prefer the T variation for significantly reduced harassment.

Or save the settings to a usb stick via bios as a backup. If the bios gets wiped insert usb and load the profile.

Soldato

Yep, it’s not the most redundant option but at least that way the CPU can later be repurposed by restoring to stock or by overclocking. As above, I would make sure the profile is saved and backed up just to be on the safe side. Losing or forgetting an offset voltage is a real pita.

Hopefully the RRP isn’t correct and the 9900t will launch at a lower price point. I’ll not hold my breath though.. it is Intel after all lol.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
What the difference between this new 9900t cpu and the 9900k cpu ?

Also does anyone know if a 9900k cpu will work in my Z370 Maximus X Formula motherboard ?

9900t is a low power part. It will perform worse than a 9900k in terms of raw performance while also consuming much less power due to being more tdp limited.

So long as the bios of the x formula is up to date the 9 series intels such as the 9900k will work fine.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Were doing a crazy deal on 9900K, so crazy its same price as regular 9900 none K edition is at most competitors.

Plus it comes with the FREE Intel Games/software bundle too:

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail @ £449.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Inte...ocket-LGA1151-Processor-Retail-CP-65J-IN.html

BX80684I99900K, Hyper-Threading Technology, 3.60GHz Clock Speed, 5.0GHz Single Core Max Turbo, 16mb Cache, 95W TDP, Dual Channel DDR4 Controller, 3 Year Warranty

Only £449.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

This crazy deal ends tomorrow at 9am, so do not miss out!!!

Associate
i must be mad...

had an i7 8700k since release, runs 5ghz all cores 24/7 @ 1.3v - 90mv offset in bios - i dont like set voltages HWM shows spikes of ~ 1.35. This chip is absolutely amazing! But because i dont just game on my system, i do a lot of encoding, can be encoding for 2-3 days at a time i want the extra cores :/

here how i talked myself into it. First i wasnt bothered when i realised u needed the 390boards to run the 9900k - then i saw my mobo z370 extreme4 has a bios update to support the 9900k & more importantly already has 12phase VRMs - the same as the z390 extreme4. Then i figured id get ~ £300 for my 8700k meaning at current prices i can upgrade for around 200quid :) pitty i missed the offer the other day :( unless OCuk wanna push me a code for being such a good customer over the last 20+ yrs. - im also putting a 2080ti on the same order to replace my trusty + reliable OC 2100/5500 @ 76c GTX1080FE - again such a great piece of hardware!! infact this entire system has been rock solid since day 1. The 9900k and especially the 2080ti have a lot to live upto!

If i can get the 9900k @ 5ghz stable ( encoding ) - around 80c ill be happy, i know theres no diff in gaming, the 2080ti will sort that.

Soldato
Had a quick play with the OEM 9900K I received from OCUK a few weeks back and easily managed 5 Ghz with 1.26v manual on the core using an air cooler.I'm no expert at this stuff so will probably just leave it at that as I need the system to be 24/7 stable. I never had one crash while trying a few things and learning along the way so could probably try lowering the volts further. 84c max temp hit during 1Hr 20 mins of AIDA 64 with the AVX stuff off. For now using a -1 offset for AVX loads, even though I don't really use anything that's AVX heavy. Tried AIDA 64 again with the AVX stuff on and saw 87c highest on one core after 20 mins with the -1 offset, still acceptable I think.
Took a while but with a few youtube vids helping, fairly easy to do.

Associate
My potato 9900k just hates overclocking.

I've had to just enable enhanced performance mode in the bios, then enable all the c states as i dont want to be at 5ghz constant.

Also set tjmax at 90c and avx for 4.7ghz

seems all good so far

Soldato
My no AVX offset 9900KF Result using a Corsair 240mm AIO.

Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX. Ram set to 3200 c14.

LLC - Level 1 (maximum)
AVX Offset - zero
Cache - 46
BLCK - 100

All voltages are set in BIOS and then observed in HWMonitor and coretemp whilst running Cinebench 20.

x50 multi - 1.2v (BIOS) 1.286v (AVX Voltage offset reading)) max temp package - 83c - Core (2) 68c - max power 127.37w.

Won't be able to try higher until I replace my radiator for a larger model.

Back
Top Bottom