The old mice are the best

Soldato
Who thinks so? Ever since having my logitech mx1000 yrs ago, there has only been 1 other that has come close to it, the mx revolution, the upgrade to the mx1000. I have had the mx master, g5 corded and mx performance, but none has come close to the great mx1000.

So I have given up with the new models of mice now and I gone back old school, looking for cheap but new old stock mice.

A few months ago I picked up a unopened mx revoution for £35 that I am using as my main mouse(needed to replace the battery). It feels way better to hold in the hand then the performance or master and the buttons are much nicer to use. I have also found a new mx700 wireless for £45 that I will probably put away untill the mx revolution dies.

Im still in search for a cheap new mx1000 mouse that was my all time fav mouse, but I dont expect I'll be able to get one of these as they are like gold dust and all the new ones I have seen has been like £300-£400. But then again a new mx700 goes for £130 and the mx revolution for £200 -£300, so I might get lucky if I keep looking:cool:

Associate
Literally last weekend I swapped out my circa 2003 intellimouse explorer v3. I love that mouse... but since I swapped it to the brand new intellimouse pro, which is virtually identical, but has one of the best sensors and switched on the market I'm pretty happy with it :p

Soldato
I've been using Microsoft basic optical mice for about... well, it might be 20+ years. I've been distracted by wireless and sculpted and extra buttons, but being a leftie always complicates things and the MS standard wired optical mouse just does the job without causing me any grief whatsoever.

I'm not sure I miss scraping muck off my rollers, but I definitely miss getting my balls out and giving them a good soak.

Soldato
Well, partly agree. They are not 'the best', but ergonomically, they were in general, better designed (MX510, WMO, IE3, IE1.3...). Less gimmicky, light, buttons were of varying quality, no stupid braided cables, no stupid lights, sensors were unfiltered (with a few exceptions). The fact that you like the MX1000 isn't really representative, although for me, it would be the original WMO.

Sure, there has been dark days that we shall forget, but these days, we see a return of to the basics. So I'd say, the latest batch from Logitech, and other companies like Glorious, are actually the best mice. Simple in design, unfussy, light, 'perfect' sensor, no lag issues, and best of all wireless. I would put my GPW right up there. They ain't cheap though, but you have plenty of others, wired or wireless that try to go back to old design philosophies. Which is, the best philosophy.

Associate
I think this is more of a nostalgia thing than anything, I keep going back and trying my older mice but it never sticks personally, hard for me to switch from my GPW especially.

Soldato
Still using my Logitech mx300 and it's served me well. Although i've had to fix it a few times over the years. Might indulge in a prodigy 203 and give that a whirl at some point. Don't game all that much these days though.

V F

V F

Soldato
Who thinks so? Ever since having my logitech mx1000 yrs ago, there has only been 1 other that has come close to it, the mx revolution, the upgrade to the mx1000. I have had the mx master, g5 corded and mx performance, but none has come close to the great mx1000.

So I have given up with the new models of mice now and I gone back old school, looking for cheap but new old stock mice.

A few months ago I picked up a unopened mx revoution for £35 that I am using as my main mouse(needed to replace the battery). It feels way better to hold in the hand then the performance or master and the buttons are much nicer to use. I have also found a new mx700 wireless for £45 that I will probably put away untill the mx revolution dies.

Im still in search for a cheap new mx1000 mouse that was my all time fav mouse, but I dont expect I'll be able to get one of these as they are like gold dust and all the new ones I have seen has been like £300-£400. But then again a new mx700 goes for £130 and the mx revolution for £200 -£300, so I might get lucky if I keep looking:cool:

I've just ordered a replacement battery from another failed battery in 2016 for one of my many MX1000's. I'll need to order some clear matte or black matte spray paint to fix up the stripped matte that is now all gloss side parts of the shell. Skates has been replaced on them a few times as well. Oldest one I have still in use is from 2005.

Man of Honour
Still not found something I think is a significant replacement for the WMO 1.1a - the Zowie FK series have some advantages but still for predictable linear input I've not found anything to beat the WMO and the DPI and resolution is just good enough - you do notice the FKs are better in that respect but it isn't a night and day difference.

So many modern mice try too hard and forget to nail down the basics, etc.

Soldato
OP
I received the mx 700 yesterday and it does look new as it was all sealed up, but when opening and getting out the mouse, the mouse was really sticky and tacky and it took ages to get it off. Its still slightly tacky now but Im hoping it will wear off in time. Any ideas what it could be?

Soldato
Some coatings just degrade over time. I've got a Mad Catz RAT 7 where the rubberized coating has turned to tacky gunk.

Still using a Logitech Performance MX that's about 10 years old. It's pretty worn away where my fingers rest on it, but works fine. Might treat myself to one of the new Intellimouse Pros soon....

Associate
Razer get a lot of criticism, but I've been using a Razer Lachesis for about 9 years. Granted it cost £65 and the software is crap, but all you need to do is make your settings then uninstall the software - it's all saved in the mouse itself. It's also durably made with zero signs of wear and tear, even the mouse glider pads are in great shape.

Razer are also the company that look out for lefties the most, if I didn't already have the ambidextrous Lachesis, I'd have bought one of their 1000 limited run left handed Deathadders (I think) that they made specially at high expense to them.

Soldato
OP
Some coatings just degrade over time. I've got a Mad Catz RAT 7 where the rubberized coating has turned to tacky gunk.

Still using a Logitech Performance MX that's about 10 years old. It's pretty worn away where my fingers rest on it, but works fine. Might treat myself to one of the new Intellimouse Pros soon....

I might be putting my mx revolution on the bay as Im liking the mx700 better. The mx revolution it was brand new when I bought it about 2months ago so it has hardly been used and still in like new condition.

V F

V F

Soldato

That was how some of my MX1000's went. Until I decided to use meth to dissolve it all. They seem to spray or dip? a rubberised coating on the black part of the shell.

Associate
Razer get a lot of criticism, but I've been using a Razer Lachesis for about 9 years. Granted it cost £65 and the software is crap, but all you need to do is make your settings then uninstall the software - it's all saved in the mouse itself. It's also durably made with zero signs of wear and tear, even the mouse glider pads are in great shape.

Razer are also the company that look out for lefties the most, if I didn't already have the ambidextrous Lachesis, I'd have bought one of their 1000 limited run left handed Deathadders (I think) that they made specially at high expense to them.

Have to second this sentiment as a leftie. Had a Razer Copperhead, which was replaced under warranty for a Taipan which I've had for a fair few years now and think it's the mouse that I find most comfortable and 'handle-able'. Been looking these past few weeks for any remaining new stock to keep as backups should this one bite the dust but after shipping and import duties from the US it comes to around £50. Ended up giving the Logitech G305 a try in the interim. It's lightweight build may be good for gaming but doesn't feel substantial.

V F

V F

Soldato
Have to second this sentiment as a leftie. Had a Razer Copperhead, which was replaced under warranty for a Taipan which I've had for a fair few years now and think it's the mouse that I find most comfortable and 'handle-able'. Been looking these past few weeks for any remaining new stock to keep as backups should this one bite the dust but after shipping and import duties from the US it comes to around £50. Ended up giving the Logitech G305 a try in the interim. It's lightweight build may be good for gaming but doesn't feel substantial.

The Razer Copperhead had such a nice shape for me (I loved it) even though I'm right handed but the sensor was quite crap. It would spin out with twitch shooters. Let alone the crazy lift off distance it had.

Back
Top Bottom