• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Soldato
You using Ryzen Master to do all your adjustments, not ever going into your MOBO BIOS? I can't get this 3600Mhz RAM to run at it's specified speed stable. Gone are the days of XMP and off you go. Really annoying.
Indeed. But doesn't stop 8pack still saying "buy 8 pack RAM, it just works". It doesn't. and testing Ryzen 3000 would have shown them this. but sales a sale.

Soldato
Hmmm, you know how I feel. I'm hoping BIOS's will sort out stability maybe in the end. I've tried loads of settings using the DRAM calc. I can get it into windows and even run RAM tests at 3600Mhz, but in the real world - gaming it'll crash. Though I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Overclocking memory. though I'd say I'm not OC'ing the memory as it is rated to run at that speed. I do note that my board does not support under the Matisse memory section upto 3600Mhz anyway - so maybe my short sight - but when you read a chip supports X and you read the best is 3600Mhz then I expected it to run at that. Maybe my ignorance. But Even ion the TaiChi Memory support - whilst I can see 3600Mhz Ram by Team Force is supported - the Serial numbers are nothing like the ones I have on my RAM.

I'm hoping that BIOS's maturing and me understanding this whole RAM thing then maybe I can get it to work. Early tests show that there isn't really that much performance increase past 3200Mhz currently but again, chipset and BIOS releases in the future I hope that these will have more stability in RAM.

Also my ASROCK BIOS confuses me where I can enter the RAM timings in 3 places - so I'm unsure if I have to enter the timings in just the OC tweak section or under the CBS controls and or the Advanced section with DRAM timings. SO I can't jump up and down at the minute as I can't rule out my lack of understanding. Furthermore, there is the whole 'RAM training' thing where you add in increases in frequency gradually. Now this is electronics not a muscle at the gym but apparently it's a thing I haven't tried yet. I would and did expect to be able to just XMP the RAM and it works, but entering things manually still no joy as yet.

I do have it running at 3200Mhz and overall the performance increase in gaming is considerable and I'm very happy with my new X570 & Ryzen considering the Sandy Ivy Haswell thread nearly convinced me it wouldn't be worth it.

tl;dr Not happy Ram doesn't work easily at binned speeds, hoping it will in future from BIOS & chipset updates - very pleased with noticeable increase in performance from Z77 i7 3770k

Associate
4.4Ghz 1.375v 3800Mhz 14-16-16-28-78 UFclk1900mhz Fclk1900mhz
Loving my 3900x on Msi x570 meg.

ef97521d-89d9-44fb-85ed-a445fef953b4-original.png

Did you get any luck running 1.325 volts at 4.4 Ghz? - I managed it and it's stable (just curious).

Caporegime
Quick pic of her all lit up.

New-Ryzen-Rig.jpg

Shes a beaut. :D

Just on setting my internet sites and what not back up.

Will get my Steam on tomorrow. :p

Specs :-

Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair h100i Platinum 240mm AIO RGB
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro Motherboard
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Sync 850w RGB PSU
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RGB Ram CL16
2x Samsung 1Tb SSDs
MSI 2070 Super Gaming X-Trio
Win 10 Home
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case, in Galaxy Silver.

EDIT:

Btw, is everyone using the Ryzen Balanced power plan setting ?

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I'm using the ryzen balanced power plan I did have to adjust the minimum processor state to 1% from 99% or the CPU was stuck on 4.3Ghz. Also had to ditch iCUE as it kept the CPU active and volts at 1.47 when idle and switched to using SIV instead with some custom fan profiles. Now at idle the voltage drops down to 0.9volts and the cores actually go in to a sleep state when not in use.

Soldato
Indeed. But doesn't stop 8pack still saying "buy 8 pack RAM, it just works". It doesn't. and testing Ryzen 3000 would have shown them this. but sales a sale.
He does, doesnt he.
Guess they have a lot of units to shift that aren't any better than stuff half the price.

It won't be on sell or return either, he had his name stuck on them. Lol

Caporegime
Yeah I'm using the ryzen balanced power plan I did have to adjust the minimum processor state to 1% from 99% or the CPU was stuck on 4.3Ghz. Also had to ditch iCUE as it kept the CPU active and volts at 1.47 when idle and switched to using SIV instead with some custom fan profiles. Now at idle the voltage drops down to 0.9volts and the cores actually go in to a sleep state when not in use.

Thanks, i'll have to check, see what mines doing. :p

EDIT:

Right, ive gone into the Power Plan, Change Plan Settings (for the Rzyen Balanced), Change Advanced Power Settings, and found the Minimum Processor State, under Processor Power Management, and mines set to 0%.

On checking the Task Manager, Performance, its got the CPU running over 4ghz.

Last edited:
Associate
What background process have you got running? I've found the following will always keep your processor from going idle:

Steam
Origin (not as bad as steam)
Corsair Link
Corsair Icue
teamviewer (third party remote management tool)
Other monitoring tools may also do this however HWiNFO, Ryzen Master (latest) and also SIV seem to be ok.
Chrome also if you have a few tabs open.

with the Ryzen balanced power plan your CPU should drop down to 2.2 Ghz and around 0.9 volts when Idle that's the expected behaviour at stock. I've disabled spreadspectrum in my Bios as I had OCD over the FSB showing 99.8 MHz rather then 100 MHz and the only thing that is overclocked at the moment is my memory from 3200 to 3600mhz.

Soldato
Anything higher than 1800 on the FCLK gives me audio corruption in windows.

How are you guys going higher than this? Using more volts?

As far as this video says from 3600MHz and up you should synch your FCLK to your memory frequency which means if my FLCK tops out at 1800 then my ram frequency is 3600MHz.

At this point my only avenue for more performance is tighter timings on the ram.

---

It seems that maybe perhaps going 3700x rather than 3800x is now playing it's card. The silicon lottery has landed me a CPU with an FCLK that cannot go over 1800.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What background process have you got running? I've found the following will always keep your processor from going idle:

Steam
Origin (not as bad as steam)
Corsair Link
Corsair Icue
teamviewer (third party remote management tool)
Other monitoring tools may also do this however HWiNFO, Ryzen Master (latest) and also SIV seem to be ok.
Chrome also if you have a few tabs open.

with the Ryzen balanced power plan your CPU should drop down to 2.2 Ghz and around 0.9 volts when Idle that's the expected behaviour at stock. I've disabled spreadspectrum in my Bios as I had OCD over the FSB showing 99.8 MHz rather then 100 MHz and the only thing that is overclocked at the moment is my memory from 3200 to 3600mhz.

I havn't got much running at the moment, as still setting it up, will be getting Steam on later, but ive got the ICUE, RGBFusion 2.0, and the Dragon Centre for the lighting, and i use FireFox for web.

Soldato
I enabled 'Game Boost' on my B450 Tomahawk (I assume that's PBO?) and now Ryzen Master shows my 3600 voltage sitting constantly at 1.1v. My Cinebench R15 score has jumped from 1567 to 1664 and the temps have definitely jumped too but the voltage is still at 1.1v, there are frequent single-core jumps up to a max of 1.53v, which is obviously concerning. Should I be worried?

Associate
I enabled 'Game Boost' on my B450 Tomahawk (I assume that's PBO?)

It isn't. PBO is in 'Advanced CPU Configuration', and there you need to set it to Advanced mode (instead of auto), enable CPU Boost Clock Override and set it to +200MHz (AutoOC). Or not bother with any of that because it really doesn't seem to make any improvement.

Soldato
It isn't. PBO is in 'Advanced CPU Configuration', and there you need to set it to Advanced mode (instead of auto), enable CPU Boost Clock Override and set it to +200MHz (AutoOC). Or not bother with any of that because it really doesn't seem to make any improvement.
I heard PBO did little but whatever this Game Boost is it increased all cores to 4200 during CB R15 instead of 3960. Yet voltage is 1.1 during instead of 1.36 and it gives +100 to the R15 score!?

Back
Top Bottom