Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
Amazon have the Blink XT cameras on offer at the moment. Single camera for 50 quid and two cameras for 90. The reviews on the site seem very mixed but a quick Google shows some glowing reviews.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Soldato
My parents asked me to get them a cctv camera to cover their car.
The car is around 6 meters away, should I be looking at cameras with lenses of 6mm ?

Soldato
Set up the Unifi G3 flex I bought and am really impressed. The picture quality is great (1080p) and the software is very intuitive with loads of features. Am definitely going to use these cameras. Shame Ubiquiti don't do an NVR with an HDMI but I think I'll just get a dedicated CCTV set up with an HDMI out.

Soldato
My parents asked me to get them a cctv camera to cover their car.
The car is around 6 meters away, should I be looking at cameras with lenses of 6mm ?

The lens focal length is probably more of an indication of field of view. So if you want about a 100-110 degree field of view, spec a 2.8mm lens. If you want a 90 degree field of view a 3.6mm lens is probably more suitable. 6mm would give you a field of view of about 40 degrees. Obviously the image will be bigger as you get some magnification effect but I’d probably go with a 3.6mm lens unless you’re looking to focus on just the drivers door or some other very small area of the car.

You could also look a zoom cameras which typically offer 3-12mm focal length.

Also bear in mind that a higher resolution camera will give you digital zoom so a 4K 3.6mm camera can ‘zoom’ roughly 4x over a 1080P camera. That might be useful in some scenarios.

Soldato
Thanks I might go for a 4mm Hikvision setup.

I was looking for good low light and only need 1 camera with maybe expanding to more in the future.

Would the following be a decent setup ?

ds 7604ni NVR
DS-2CD2345FWD-I

I noticed both are cheaper from China.

Associate
I have a 7608 so not sure if it's the same but I have two HDD in mine a 2 and a 3 gig -

Doing a quick google you should have two sata bays and each will take 6gbit
Hope it's this one. https://www.hikvision.com/en/Produc...Turbo-HD-DVR/Turbo-HD-3.0/DS-7208/7216HGHI-F2

Had a quick search and can't find anything for our specific model, I assume if that one suggests 6tb drives, i shouldn't have any trouble?

Opened it up last week and there is already an extra power cable and also a sata cable sitting there, ready for an extra drive to be plugged in. Presumably I can just plug in a couple of 6tb drives to increase the storage capacity and it'll keep the existing settings etc?

Caporegime
what is the best bang for buck cameras to be mounted high up? as in on the underside of an overlapping roof or on the first floor of a house overlooking a driveway and back garden.

I'm thinking I need 4 cameras total (2 front and 2 back). i'd ideally like to go best value for money. so what offers the best performance on the cheap?

i'm in scotland so they need very good waterproofing (rains every day).

am i best ordering off aliexpress? or ebay?

Soldato
AAAARRRGGGGHHH Help

Our Cafe was broken into sunday night. We've got the little scrote on CCTV but how the hell can I DL the footage.

Its a Hikvision set up with ds 7208 DVR and 8 cameras.

I have the hikconnect app and IVMS 4200 latest.

What the and where the hell is everything.

Ta
Matt

Soldato
AAAARRRGGGGHHH Help

Our Cafe was broken into sunday night. We've got the little scrote on CCTV but how the hell can I DL the footage.

Its a Hikvision set up with ds 7208 DVR and 8 cameras.

I have the hikconnect app and IVMS 4200 latest.

What the and where the hell is everything.

Ta
Matt

Boot up IVMS, go to the "remote playback" tab.

At the top left, there will be a start / end time. Make sure the date you want footage from is between those date/times. It defaults to the last 7 days, so it should be there.

Next, drag appropriate camera from the panel at the left into one of the display windows.

The easiest way to download is by time, so play it back and note approximate start / end times.

Right click the playback window and choose download.

Choose the download by date tab at the top, check the duration 1 box and the input the start and end times into the coresponding boxes. You can use the calendar icon or enter manually.

Click okay.

The footage will end up in C:\ivms4200\video and the folder name will be the date and time in a long string of numbers. There should be a few .mp4 files and some .jpg thumbnails.

It should be playable in VLC or media player classic etc.

Soldato
Boot up IVMS, go to the "remote playback" tab.

At the top left, there will be a start / end time. Make sure the date you want footage from is between those date/times. It defaults to the last 7 days, so it should be there.

Next, drag appropriate camera from the panel at the left into one of the display windows.

The easiest way to download is by time, so play it back and note approximate start / end times.

Right click the playback window and choose download.

Choose the download by date tab at the top, check the duration 1 box and the input the start and end times into the coresponding boxes. You can use the calendar icon or enter manually.

Click okay.

The footage will end up in C:\ivms4200\video and the folder name will be the date and time in a long string of numbers. There should be a few .mp4 files and some .jpg thumbnails.

It should be playable in VLC or media player classic etc.

This is why I'm pulling my hair out
No Download tab if I right click the video.

Everything BUT a download tab.

Soldato
In that case you probably don't have permission to download. This could be at the NVR level or ivms level. When you install ivms you create a super user.

Who installed the ivms software and added the NVR?

Assuming you have the admin account password, you should be able to re-install ivms and re-add the NVR to ivms quite easily.

If you don't then you need either the person who installed it, or hikvision technical support to reset the admin password.

Soldato
I'm the superuser..

Odd aint it..
It appears I have to record the footage then I can save it..

If you're the super user, go to the control panel tab and to "device management". In there, click your DVR, and choose modify at the top. Re-enter the admin account details (admin / password) and click the modify button at the bottom.

If that doesn't fix it, then you can try to use the web UI as suggested above, but it's a little more clunky than doing it in ivms.

Associate
Has anyone got any recommendations for ip cameras? Preferably turret style ones, i currently have some hikvision ds 2cd2332 3mp ones with a hikvision nvr and looking to upgrade just the cameras to something with higher resolution and better low light performance.

Soldato
Dahua 2MP starlights. They’re about £50 each on AliExpress and team them with the Synology NVR-216 or NVR-218 for a very easy setup or with a Dahua NVR for perfectly smooth operation and PoE.

Why do you need high resolution? It’s better to have a good sensor and the right lens (or even a zoom) than a high res camera with a poor quality sensor.

Associate
Just had a quick search for them but cant see them on there, would rather keep my hikvision nvr if possible, and not bothered about the high resolution if the image quality is good

Back
Top Bottom