• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
How is your board getting on with RAM speeds and Ryzen 3K? Any difficulties hitting 3400~3600MT/s ?

I'm on the verge of ordering a Ryzen 3000 based kit for someone and might snag a 3600x for myself (they're cheaper at the moment and binning is probably worth the extra given likely better resale value / better included heatsink).
Unfortunately i cant help with that one, i run at stock.
Both my 16Gb PC3200 G-Skill Kit and the 32Gb Corsair LPX i bought today however detect via DOCP, and seem stable, not that that probably helps :p

Soldato
Sounds like ASUS owners are having more problems at the moment. Fingers crossed I seem to be on a good combination of BIOS and drivers with my Aorus Master. Need to do some more testing but I'm happy so far that I'm close to 9900K territory in Cinebench.

Associate
However, boot from cold, run Hwinfo, send it to sleep, wake, check hwinfo and the sensor updates have frozen. Hwinfo subsequently won't close down properly or start up again; always waiting for a svhost.exe to respond.
After this, other monitoring software usually fails to access the sensors.
Only recourse is a reboot, though the system fails to power down properly. Need to hold in the power button to force the ATX power off signal.

I’ve also experienced this issue with my X470 Prime Pro. It’s not happened since I upgraded to a 3700x but I guess that’s probably due to me not using hwinfo as much.

Soldato
Still recommended to get the b450 carbon ac over the tomahawk (MAX?) even with the more basic bios? Is it just more basic looking or does it lack any features? Already got 3700x on order.
It lacks RAID but MSI are meant to be restoring that feature at some point. Not sure if anything else is missing.

Soldato
One of the recent Hardware Unboxed Q&A's they said wait for the MAX versions, but MSI said there won't be any of the carbon ac. It's not clear what is different with the bios exactly though apart from it looking more basic.

Still dunno what board to get.

Associate
Installed the new Asus Bios last night, all seems good, DOCP works fine with my corsair at 3200MHZ but it did before hand. to be honest I have stopped worrying about idle temps or boost and have been enjoying the system, its so bloody fast I just don't care. It plays all games at 1440p no sweat at all combined with a vega 56. all my IDE's and development software runs like a dream (postgres, mssql, android studio, visual studio, visual code, etc etc). Really happy with it all.

Associate
how is memory training after reboot ?? And how is memory trainign booting from cold ?? Maybe they fixed them up a bit cause none of bioses for Crosshair motherboards made it out of forums they ware so bad. Image ME having boot problems first time from 4 bioses so far :D So maybe This is fixed up version after bugs we reported :D Even performance hit was around 4% on new ones yet less stable on memory side :D

It worked perfectly for me, I had cold boot issues with the previous bios but this time after installing and setting DOCP everything worked fine. I've not had time to test it fully yet though or tweak the timings.

Soldato
That's why I dont do auto... They are all ****** up cause bioses are in beta state. I noticed on 3rd row of memory timings on auto 2 values tend to change every other reset by 1 up 1 down !!!! So one reboot you are running 9 other 8 other 7 so if 7 and 8 are stable oens and 7 is too tight then you got stable system 2/3ds of time grreat init ?? :D

No! :p

One thing I cant stand is an unstable PC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom